Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Really like our draft even if it was fairly standard.

Watson is a marketable A-grade small that adds firepower.

McCabe has really high upside with his movement and skills for a KPD. He looks skinny but is 86kg, don’t think he’ll have trouble bulking up.

Bodie Ryan a bit of a surprise but I like it. Very tough, very courageous and can intercept. Has good mobility. Very reminiscent of Blake Hardwick and you can't have enough of that type.

Calsher a longer shot but a very romantic story. Has the tools, especially contested marking, but didn’t put it all together. Late season form was good. A project player in an area we're lacking depth.
what about bodie ryan over archie roberts (tipped to go 16). Although now that I see both of their clips, I prefer bodie. before now, never heard of the guy, not in top 30 anyway.

McCabe has really high upside with his movement and skills for a KPD. He looks skinny but is 86kg, don’t think he’ll have trouble bulking up.

Bodie Ryan a bit of a surprise but I like it. Very tough, very courageous and can intercept. Has good mobility. Very reminiscent of Blake Hardwick and you can't have enough of that type.

Calsher a longer shot but a very romantic story. Has the tools, especially contested marking, but didn’t put it all together. Late season form was good. A project player in an area we're lacking depth.
As always VandoHawk, you provide perfect measure of praise and consideration. I enjoy your posts.

Last edited:

Agree.
It's a nicely balanced set of picks.
We've got the high upside, low risk with our first two picks, who will also fill holes in our list.

Dear - does all the things you want from a KPF. We just need to see more of it, so it's up to him to put the work in.
Ryan - tough Hardwick/Rhys-Jones type of defender. We needed someone like him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rookie draft tomorrow is fascinating.
We have 2 rookie list positions available and have committed to re-drafting Wingard and Stephens if both are available, while also stating we were looking at Ethan Phillips for an SSP spot. Both those things can’t happen.
Maybe we draft Chad & Cooper and then Chad goes on LTI opening up a SSP spot for Ethan.

That would though mean Bennetts can't get a debut anytime soon unless we have another unfortunate LTI injury.

From memory clubs can sign delisted players untill start of Rookie draft, so if Pies have a spot open and pinch Chad then, the problem gets resolved. Pies only picked 2 player (DeMattia & 2J)

Or we pick Cooper with 1st rookie pick and then Pies pick Chad.

Can someone else jump in and pick either of Cooper/Chad before our pick. Clarko is a risk.

Last edited:
Rookie draft tomorrow is fascinating.
We have 2 rookie list positions available and have committed to re-drafting Wingard and Stephens if both are available, while also stating we were looking at Ethan Phillips for an SSP spot. Both those things can’t happen.
Can we put Chad on the LTI early next year to take Phillips as a SSP?

Can we put Chad on the LTI early next year to take Phillips as a SSP?
For Chad to go onto LTI he needs to be unable to play at all during the season. This needs to be signed off by the AFL doctors.
At present, Chad is expected to be available in round 15. So unless he has a major setback, that can’t happen.

Maybe we draft Chad & Cooper and then Chad goes on LTI opening up a SSP spot for Ethan.

That would though mean Bennetts can't get a debut anytime soon unless we have another unfortunate LTI injury.

From memory clubs can sign delisted players untill start of Rookie draft, so if Pies have a spot open and pinch Chad then, the problem gets resolved. Pies only picked 2 player (DeMattia & 2J)

Or we pick Cooper with 1st rookie pick and then Pies pick Chad.

Can someone else jump in and pick either of Cooper/Chad before our pick. Clarko is a risk.
Even though JB is a Cat B rookie, he can still play AFL games. James O’Donnell from the Bulldogs was on Cat B list and played this season.

Last edited:
For Chad to go onto LTI he needs to be unable to play at all during the season. This needs to be signed off by the AFL doctors.
At present, Chad is expected to be available in round 15. So unless he has a major setback, that can’t happen.
Are you sure?
McEvoy was on the LTI and came back to play(replaced in LTI by someone else).

It used to be only 8 weeks.

I could be wrong SYL but I don’t think Big Boy was ever added to the LTI from what I could see when researching it. I know we picked up Blancky with one spot we had available as Brocky was on the LTI, while Ramadan was taken with our open list spot.

I enjoyed a terrific long conversation with Calsher Dear after the draft combine when the 2km trials for the State Combine were being run. I ask him if he was still 194cms and he told me he was just measured at 195cms. I've been holding on to the Calsher's response to my question about the prospect of more growth. He told me both his older brothers grew a few centimetres after they turned 18. Calsher turned 18 in August so having watched how influential he was when he went into the ruck in the second half of the Coates League GF, I'm really excited about his future. He is a quality young man and told me he loved the times he spent at training with Hawthorn and he is now in a good place and looking forward to the future.

Back