Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

I enjoyed a terrific long conversation with Calsher Dear after the draft combine when the 2km trials for the State Combine were being run. I ask him if he was still 194cms and he told me he was just measured at 195cms. I've been holding on to the Calsher's response to my question about the prospect of more growth. He told me both his older brothers grew a few centimetres after they turned 18. Calsher turned 18 in August so having watched how influential he was when he went into the ruck in the second half of the Coates League GF, I'm really excited about his future. He is a quality young man and told me he loved the times he spent at training with Hawthorn and he is now in a good place and looking forward to the future.
Any idea how tall serong is now?

For Chad to go onto LTI he needs to be unable to play at all during the season. This needs to be signed off by the AFL doctors.
At present, Chad is expected to be available in round 15. So unless he has a major setback, that can’t happen.
It doesn’t say that in the AFL rules it says a minimum of 8 weeks. And like everything afl it’s an application and then it’s at the AFLs discretion to approve or reject. Absolute god complex these clowns. So yes I expect we place Chad on LTI and then potentially take Philips.

It doesn’t say that in the AFL rules it says a minimum of 8 weeks. And like everything afl it’s an application and then it’s at the AFLs discretion to approve or reject. Absolute god complex these clowns. So yes I expect we place Chad on LTI and then potentially take Philips.
If we add Chad to the LTI, when he's available to play, what happens then? As you can't have more players on a list than allowed?

If we add Chad to the LTI, when he's available to play, what happens then? As you can't have more players on a list than allowed?
I thought adding someone to the LTI list only allowed you to play someone on the Rookie list, not add an extra player to you list. Has that changed?

Good question. We carried 45 on the list last year with Max Lynch on the LTI all year so you can exceed the total but as you say it’s unclear what would have happened if he had become available again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got a B from Fox footy...
I guess we were pretty explicit that we wanted to trade in another top 10 pick, so not reaching that goal I guess drops us, but I don’t think you can fault what we did with what we had.

Exciting that we’ve pretty much rebuilt an awesome young list throughout draft periods rated as a couple of Ds and a B.

Last edited:
I feel a D+ coming on.......this is what the Age had to say.....

Hawthorn​

Nick Watson (5), Will McCabe (19), Bodie Ryan (46), Calsher Dear (56)
Having brought Jack Ginnivan in during the trade period and then prioritising Watson early in the draft, the Hawks have brought in their next generation of small forwards to take the baton from premiership hero Luke Breust. - Michael Gleeson

Essendon​

Nate Caddy (10), Luamon Lual (39), Archie Roberts (54)
The mail was strong that the Bombers were infatuated with Caddy, and they did not want to risk Geelong taking him before them, so they sent selections 11 and 31 to the Cats to swap places and take Caddy at 10. Caddy’s aerial prowess promises to be a valuable addition to their attack and his potential is immense, even if he is not as tall as some key forwards. Lual was Bulldogs-bound as an NGA prospect if he reached pick 41 or later, but Essendon beat them to the punch. The defender loves to take the game on but will need to tidy up his decision-making. Roberts, a half-backer with neat skills, was linked to clubs with picks in the 20s, then again in the 30s, but made it all the way to No.54. - Marc McGowan

A+ all day for the Bombers........

For Chad to go onto LTI he needs to be unable to play at all during the season. This needs to be signed off by the AFL doctors.
At present, Chad is expected to be available in round 15. So unless he has a major setback, that can’t happen.
Surely missing 15 games is a LTI. That seems bloody ridiculous. The aim with list management should be to give as many listed players the chance to play at the top level for the betterment of the game.

Hawthorn​

Having brought Jack Ginnivan in during the trade period and then prioritising Watson early in the draft, the Hawks have brought in their next generation of small forwards to take the baton from premiership hero Luke Breust. - Michael Gleeson

Essendon​

The mail was strong that the Bombers were infatuated with Caddy, and they did not want to risk Geelong taking him before them, so they sent selections 11 and 31 to the Cats to swap places and take Caddy at 10. Caddy’s aerial prowess promises to be a valuable addition to their attack and his potential is immense, even if he is not as tall as some key forwards. Lual was Bulldogs-bound as an NGA prospect if he reached pick 41 or later, but Essendon beat them to the punch. The defender loves to take the game on but will need to tidy up his decision-making. Roberts, a half-backer with neat skills, was linked to clubs with picks in the 20s, then again in the 30s, but made it all the way to No.54. - Marc McGowan

Exceptional by Dildo has set the club up again -Mick Ablett

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawthorn​

Essendon​

The best part is the Cats let the bummers cough up a future 2nd rounder knowing they wanted Caddy. Both clubs got who they wanted 😂

Even though JB is a Cat B rookie, he can still play AFL games. James O’Donnell from the Bulldogs was on Cat B list and played this season.
No Cat B's still need to be elevated, they are paid outside salary cap. I don't know James O'Donnell circumstances but it would have been either an LTI or an available list spot.

I smashed my TV when Shifter said with pick 46 Hawks should look to draft someone who will play AFL
Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Back