Preview 2023 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I was watching an old replay on fox the other day and jack watts was playing, i thought to myself Lukousoius is watts 2.0.
Personally, I think this view is a BS.

Luko moved more forward for the first time in 2022. Just when he started to look promising (Carlton game) and the team started to learn how to use him, he did PCL and then another one. Lost tank, confidence in kick, came probably too early from second PCL after just one game in VFL where he could not kick, touch the ball. We all know how Rowell looked in 2021 when he came back from PCL with limited tank, low confidence.

BTW despite injuries impacted season, if you look at tackles, Luko had double average compared to Levi and also significantly more than Chol. If you look at wingers, he got same tackles numbers as Ellis, close to Powell numbers, more than double on Sharp. Players like Rankine and Flanders had the same average.

Sure, Luko style looks sometimes too relaxed, you could call it lazy but comparing him to Watt is ridiculous in my opinion. He actually runs hard. Re-watch the last game of the season for Luko's commitment.

Roaming on the wing, high forward, delivering inside 50, sneak forward is his best role IMO. If he has a good run with injuries, I predict people like you will eat their words. He does need to improve set shot and if he does that, I suspect he can score 30-40 goals with no dramas.

Despite impact of PCLs injuries, Luko was also 3rd in goal assists not far from Ainsworth and Rankine average. Just scratching the surface, I predict. Luko run his PB in pre-season, looks again a bit stronger, was mentioned by the club as one of most improved this off-season.

When you look at Lukosius time at half back his stats are very impressive for a young undeveloped tall kid. If he had of stayed there he may well be excelling by now. But I like that they have put faith in him to become the forward they had hoped. I see him as more of a justin westhoff who played multiple positions for Port and won a bnf doing so. I think his ceiling could be higher than the Hoff though. I'm sticking with him and hope he makes a few people eat their words this year.

I don't think people are necessarily being critical of Lukosius by saying he is not a key forward. He could be an exceptional outside player, but he is not a contested beast, and that's fine.
Jack Watts could have had an outstanding career if people didn't expect him to be a key forward early in his career.
Lukosius and Watts are both high draft picks, tall and skilful. But neither of them is contested marking beasts.
I personally rate them both.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Personally, I think this view is a BS.

Luko moved more forward for the first time in 2022. Just when he started to look promising (Carlton game) and the team started to learn how to use him, he did PCL and then another one. Lost tank, confidence in kick, came probably too early from second PCL after just one game in VFL where he could not kick, touch the ball. We all know how Rowell looked in 2021 when he came back from PCL with limited tank, low confidence.

BTW despite injuries impacted season, if you look at tackles, Luko had double average compared to Levi and also significantly more than Chol. If you look at wingers, he got same tackles numbers as Ellis, close to Powell numbers, more than double on Sharp. Players like Rankine and Flanders had the same average.

Sure, Luko style looks sometimes too relaxed, you could call it lazy but comparing him to Watt is ridiculous in my opinion. He actually runs hard. Re-watch the last game of the season for Luko's commitment.

Roaming on the wing, high forward, delivering inside 50, sneak forward is his best role IMO. If he has a good run with injuries, I predict people like you will eat their words. He does need to improve set shot and if he does that, I suspect he can score 30-40 goals with no dramas.

Despite impact of PCLs injuries, Luko was also 3rd in goal assists not far from Ainsworth and Rankine average. Just scratching the surface, I predict. Luko run his PB in pre-season, looks again a bit stronger, was mentioned by the club as one of most improved this off-season.

I agree. I see the link people make but I think its absolute bullshit. Lukosius is far superior at the same age and works hard. People tend to mistake his laconic running style for laziness but he presents time and time again. Luko will have his day and I hope it shuts all these Watts comparisons up.

He certainly looks beefier this preseason too. * Watts.

keep in mind that these guys, as outside players are largely beholden to their teams success in getting the ball and delivering it to them.

In the 3 seasons where Melbourne won more than 8 games Watts had respectable years

Age 20: 16 disposals, 5.5 marks, 1 goal, 0.66 goal assists
Age 25: 16 disposals, 6.3 marks, 1.7 goals, 0.8 assists
Age 26: 15 disposals, 4.8 marks, 1.4 goals, 0.5 assists

The remaining seasons he was at Melbourne they went 20-1-72 and personally looked far poorer, certainly in terms of scoreboard impact.

Pretty hard as an outside, leading player to impact when your team is getting mauled each week.

I’m confident that luko will get better and better as we do.

He needs to fix his goal kicking though.

I agree. I see the link people make but I think its absolute bullshit. Lukosius is far superior at the same age and works hard. People tend to mistake his laconic running style for laziness but he presents time and time again. Luko will have his day and I hope it shuts all these Watts comparisons up.

He certainly looks beefier this preseason too. * Watts.
...and if we want to pick on laconic running styles, I give you - Mabior Chol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not alot of love for Sharp, he is still a GC player, and hopefully he decides to stay. Could potentially be an ugly story at the end of the year. He's 21, out of contract, huge year for him.
First he has to get in, hold his spot and if the club has success - he might stay. If he can't make it into the best 22 on a regular basis, I'm only too happy for him to try again at home. He's good enough but for the first time ever - we actually have too few spots for so many and that's a good thing!

Not alot of love for Sharp, he is still a GC player, and hopefully he decides to stay. Could potentially be an ugly story at the end of the year. He's 21, out of contract, huge year for him.

On the last video they had a highlight of a drill where he had to tackle Levi....I've seen u11s with better tackling intent, competitiveness and technique than what he showed. It's going to be tough for him to get a game if he's the weak chink in the armour.

It’s up to Sharpy really. There’s a spot for him, especially if Brando goes back or Hollands gets some time in the middle. I was in the ‘he has been treated harshly’ camp, but at the end of the day he knows what he needs to do to play in Dew’s side and he can either work hard on his game to put pressure on, or Coast through the year and head over to Freo for not a lot.

How our defence sets up rd1 is now interesting with Powell unlikely, weller a chance but unlikely and Andrew out for the first 2. With all those guys to come back in pressure is on those who are selected Rd1.
I think something like
Lemmens Collins Graham
Long ballard farrar
Maybe Ellis fills a gap again for that 7th man or one of blakely or uwland gets a chance to impress.

How our defence sets up rd1 is now interesting with Powell unlikely, weller a chance but unlikely and Andrew out for the first 2. With all those guys to come back in pressure is on those who are selected Rd1.
I think something like
Lemmens Collins Graham
Long ballard farrar
Maybe Ellis fills a gap again for that 7th man or one of blakely or uwland gets a chance to impress.
If Sharp is doing well, Ellis could rotate back to cover injuries for a few weeks. He has done that before, so it’s certainly a possibility.

Ellis and hollands been mentioned as wings by Stephen king

I see nothing on Faulkhead, we would have made this kid a star, we wanted him but you beat us to him.
Yeah I'm sure he would be keeping Jye Clark and Jack Bowes out of your midfield.. Geelong is best known for its in house development. Faulkhead was injured for most of last year, showed glimpses, won the 2km for 1-4 years, and seems to be very popular amongst the players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back