Certified Legendary Thread 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 48 The Final India v Australia 19/11 1900hrs @ Narendra Modi Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm still a few nervous moments last night, unlike the easy coast to the cup in 2015
I wasn't until we got within 50 runs that I did start to relax before that it was a clenched sphincter the whole time
Yeh early in our innings was a bit tense. Probably as tense as any moment in any of our finals from 1999 onwards.

"the atmosphere was amazing"

The atmosphere for the whole second innings: silence.

The silence 100 percent got to the Indians on the field.

You could just see them going into their shells as it continued.

And WTF booing the umpires? The only real howler went their way when Smith was given out by a ball striking him outside the line.

Captain Pat has copped a lot of s**t (especially in this forum) over the past year.

WTC, retaining the Ashes and overcoming a rampant host nation to win a WC (probably the most impressive) is a legacy cemented as one of our greatest captains.

Pulled the right reign almost everytime when it mattered. Made a ballsy call to bowl first for the final when almost everyone was screaming to bat. great field placing and boing changes to keep India from setting anything above 300.
Not just keeping it under 300, also 250.
Incredible that the target was 241 when Rohit was threatening to get a quick century, with 350+ in mind.
80-1 in 10 overs- Australia kept their composure and defended every shot.
Rahul and Kohli just defending actually worked in Australia’s favour.
For compassion -
Rahul 66 off 107 balls
Kohli 54 off 63 balls.

Head 137 off 120 balls. Doubles the amount of runs Rahul got plus only faced 13 more balls.

Marnus 58 off 110 was perfect as Head wanted to do the damage.
None of Kohli nor Rahul wanted to be an anchor and the damager.

Watching India defend was pitiful. The amount of free singles they allowed was crazy. In a chase that only requires 4.5 runs per over, there was hardly any pressure in the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

India can keep there rankings, we'll have the trophies thank you very much .
Happy Toddlers And Tiaras GIF

Well we did score more runs against India in our semi final than Australia did in the final but unfortunately we conceded more runs too.

Not that surprised Australia won the final with all the pressure on India and I'm also not surprised the final wasn't as close as the 2019 final.

Too much variation in batting and bowling conditions from day to night in India made for a lot of dull one sided games like the one yesterday.

I don't think it was any coincidence that one of the closest games between Australia and NZ was a day game rather than a day night game.
Come Here Dr Evil GIF

I got absolutely sucked into this World Cup. Usually i'm indifferent to all ODI cricket, but it was first the Mitch Marsh tonne, then i found myself chucking each game on - at a perfect time each night after work. Then the Maxwell innings. Now this final. Oh lord what an amazing series. Single handedly saved ODI for my perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back