Resource 2023 Membership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Took me a moment too as it suggests GWS is doing well.

But the larger the figure, the fewer members attend games.

Yep. But is it better to have more paying members who don't attend games (but they've piad for games essentially), or fewer rusted on members but proportionally more rock up to games (e.g. Gold Coast NRL 0.32 - so 3x as many people turn up to games as are members).

Either situation could be seen as a consequence of lack of engaged fans who are perhaps there for "the other team".

In the Gold Coast NRL situation, small number of members go to games, but more Gold Coast residents itinerantly turn up - perhaps to see the opposition club; or perhaps they just don't want to commit to membership, but roll up to 2 or 3 games a year.

Versus.

GWS has members who pay for short-length memberships, so don't attend all home games per season. Could be ex-Vics who go to see their team and a couple of other big Melbourne teams per season. Or, someone who buys a membership in case GWS gets in the finals. Or, it could be the first steps on a growth pathway - don't commit to attending a whole season. I'd just point out that Sydney simply isn't a "membership" stronghold. No Sydney NRL clubs have particularly big membership bases. IIRC, Swans has the biggest membership in Sydney of all of the sporting teams.

I’ve watched more VFL live this season, our AFL match times are rubbish and can’t see it changing much next season especially outside the Top.8. Conflicts with all junior sport at 1pm

We need to push for the Richmond, Collingwood, Geelong, Carlton, Essendon etc games to be 4:40 / 7pm on a Saturday night and the low drawing games to be split between Canberra and Sydney on the Sunday time slots

GWS has members who pay for short-length memberships, so don't attend all home games per season. Could be ex-Vics who go to see their team and a couple of other big Melbourne teams per season. Or, someone who buys a membership in case GWS gets in the finals. Or, it could be the first steps on a growth pathway - don't commit to attending a whole season. I'd just point out that Sydney simply isn't a "membership" stronghold. No Sydney NRL clubs have particularly big membership bases. IIRC, Swans has the biggest membership in Sydney of all of the sporting teams.
also as we play home games in Manuka as well as Giants stadium, a significant proportion of Canberra fans would have the 3 game membership to watch our 3 games here.

Half season members questionnaire has been sent.

Have sent some feedback 😉
Just completed mine as well. But a couple of question caught my eye as I am not sure where they are going with this as they have signed a 10 year contract to play 3 games in Canberra - are they testing reactions to move a game from Giants Stadium to SCG/ BISP due to the state of the pitch?

- Given the interstate travel involved for the GIANTS during the period GIANTS Stadium is unavailable due to the Easter Show, would you be supportive of playing a home game at the SCG during this time to lessen the impact on the team?
Yes/ No
- Would you be supportive of playing a home game at Blacktown International Sports Park during the Easter Show period?
Yes/ No

Just completed mine as well. But a couple of question caught my eye as I am not sure where they are going with this as they have signed a 10 year contract to play 3 games in Canberra - are they testing reactions to move a game from Giants Stadium to SCG/ BISP due to the state of the pitch?

- Given the interstate travel involved for the GIANTS during the period GIANTS Stadium is unavailable due to the Easter Show, would you be supportive of playing a home game at the SCG during this time to lessen the impact on the team?
Yes/ No
- Would you be supportive of playing a home game at Blacktown International Sports Park during the Easter Show period?
Yes/ No
Maybe the AFL are think Canberra as team 20 and so the Giants are floating other options during that period.

Maybe the AFL are think Canberra as team 20 and so the Giants are floating other options during that period.
Am impressed then that my club is so forward looking that they are thinking of a post 2032 future now! 😊… I was thinking that given the state of the field at the St Kilda match, they were looking to play a match at SCG/ BISP. Or they wanted to play a game in Sydney during the Easter Show so as not to have such a big break between games and space out the 3 Manuka games..or they could be testing out the appetite to play a game in SCG

Am impressed then that my club is so forward looking that they are thinking of a post 2032 future now! 😊… I was thinking that given the state of the field at the St Kilda match, they were looking to play a match at SCG/ BISP. Or they wanted to play a game in Sydney during the Easter Show so as not to have such a big break between games and space out the 3 Manuka games..or they could be testing out the appetite to play a game in SCG
I’m sure if Canberra got a club they would happily walk away.

I’m sure if Canberra got a club they would happily walk away.
Not the thread to discuss this, but I honestly think that in the absence of our ACT government lobbying and offering funding support (unlike the Tasmanian and NT governments), Canberra will not be Team 20. In any case the Giants will play at least 3 AFL games (and 1 AFLW) game in Canberra till at least 2032. I just found the membership survey questions about SCG/BISP interesting due to this constraint.

Yes/ No
Yes/ No
We have a seven game contract at Giants Stadium and a three game contract at Manuka. That leaves one left over - this is the game that got sent to Canberra last year, which is when these details came out. It's also the game that was mooted as going to India or LA at different points, so sending it to BISP for example is easily on the cards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a seven game contract at Giants Stadium and a three game contract at Manuka. That leaves one left over - this is the game that got sent to Canberra last year, which is when these details came out. It's also the game that was mooted as going to India or LA at different points, so sending it to BISP for example is easily on the cards.
Have it at Accor Stadium on the 1st night of the Easter Show

Round.2

Friday 22nd March 7:30pm 2024

Giants vs Collingwood

Thanks for this info. After accounting for the contracted 3 Manuka games and the 7 Giants stadium games, we have the flexibility to play the remaining 1 home game wherever? This presumably is the game Shepherd was talking about playing regularly in SCG last year?

Had to miss due to family stuff. Not well 8 year old.

Anyone want to share anything interesting/important that was said?
When asked about inclusions for this week,
Kingsley mentioned Stone, Fleeton, Derksen, Cadman. I don't think Gruzewski was mentioned, but I think he is injured.
It was generally informative, nothing really controversial as you would expect.
Whitfield mentioned Jones looked really good preseason, also he thinks Gruzewski will be a good player.

So, we lose smalls and go ... big?
He said we could be shuffling , he did say these guys are forwards, but not like for like as such. He didn't really give alot away, as you would expect. I don't really think he was hinting he doesn't always get the team he wants , that is my take on it.

Had to miss due to family stuff. Not well 8 year old.

Anyone want to share anything interesting/important that was said?
I hope the young one is on the mend.

Kingsley and Whitfield both spoke really well and gave thoughtful answers.
Kingers loves Riccardi and Cadman. He says Derksen is progressing well (contract extension?) but hinted he is back in the line.
Whitfield says that Darcy Jones is special and Gruzewski has something about him. Kingers concurred.
Pruess was mentioned and it sounded like they wanted to see how he would go as the 3rd tall forward/chop out ruck before the year is out. Pruess does have good hands.
Kingsley also values effort as much as execution.

I hope the young one is on the mend.

Kingsley and Whitfield both spoke really well and gave thoughtful answers.
Kingers loves Riccardi and Cadman. He says Derksen is progressing well (contract extension?) but hinted he is back in the line.
Whitfield says that Darcy Jones is special and Gruzewski has something about him. Kingers concurred.
Pruess was mentioned and it sounded like they wanted to see how he would go as the 3rd tall forward/chop out ruck before the year is out. Pruess does have good hands.
Kingsley also values effort as much as execution.
Thanks mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back