Preview 2024 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing Aish or Chapman on a wing means we will have to lose one of Johnson/Eramus/Sharp etc to play Wagner. My opinion of Wagner is he can run with the ball but his disposal and decision making is average and his defensive qualities are Zero….I would rather ditch Wagner and give one of our young midfielders a go. In 2023, 11 of our 12 best disposal efficiency players were backman and Wagner wasn’t one of them (14th overall). The only non backman in the top 12 was Tavener who only played 4 games

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
My best 22 posted yesterday doesn't have Wagner in it.

But I do think our team is a genuine winger short. I've got Sharp taking one spot and Johnson the other. Ideally I'd like Johnson playing more inside than wing.

Erasmus probably takes over from Fyfe in two years. Perhaps we just carry an extra inside mid for now and worry about the second genuine winger in two years time.

Defenders usually have high disposal efficiency due to taking safer options. One of things people actually liked about Wagner is he tried to take risks and move it more directly to try and help us score more.

I think the only way we can play all three of Tabs, Treacy and Amiss is if we do something very much out of the box with Jackson - maybe a Richo style move to the wing offering a very good transition marking option from kick outs and in general play. He’d also have to rotate into the ruck from there, two of the most physically taxing positions so would be a massive ask !
I’m not for a minute suggesting this will happen but if all our tall players are showing good pre-season form we have extra flexibility due primarily to the unicorn genes running through Jackson

Have said it before but for me Wagner has to play. Heck - we genuinely were the most boring team in the league without him last year. We need risk takers from the back half of the ground. Wagner is a better decision maker than Walker in possession IMO.
If we go out round 1 without Wagner and Ryan and Cox have 30 disposals each and 15 marks each playing kick to kick across the back half while we slowly creep up the pitch - I’ll vomit.

Playing Aish or Chapman on a wing means we will have to lose one of Johnson/Eramus/Sharp etc to play Wagner. My opinion of Wagner is he can run with the ball but his disposal and decision making is average and his defensive qualities are Zero….I would rather ditch Wagner and give one of our young midfielders a go. In 2023, 11 of our 12 best disposal efficiency players were backman and Wagner wasn’t one of them (14th overall). The only non backman in the top 12 was Tavener who only played 4 games

dont think thats a reflection on wagner tbf that just goes to show how slow and backward our rebound footy out of the backline was - im not impressed with luke ryan having 99% disp efficiency when he just either bombs it 50m down the wing to a pack or chips it sideways to get it back

Cox Pearce Ryan
Chapman Clark Young
Sharp Fyfe NOD
Raz Banfield Frederick
Tabs Amiss Walters
Brayshaw Serong Darcy

Johnson Jackson JOM Walker

Sub-

How good is that back six!!! And the inside mids! Fyfe back in changes the whole balance of the team! Front three rock!

Only questions to be answered are wings, and half forward line.

For me, JOM into 18 instead of Banfield. Wagner on interchange as an extra defender when young and chapman move forward.
And that’s it!

A team of beauty!;)))

Idk how we are going to choose between Walker and Wagner. Wagner was so important to our rebounding game and we completely lose that without him. Markov had a similar impact with Collingwood last season.
I think we could very well end up with both in the team. The defenders could be Walker, Clark, A.Pearce, Cox (or Macdonald if Cox isnt fit) Wagner and Ryan. Then have Chapman and Aish rotating wing and half back as the 7th defender.

Disposal efficiency for defenders is misleading. Mostly they’re chipping it to each other.
Wagner I imagine was tasked with moving the ball forward, Clark having the lockdown role vacated by Walker. No chipping back and sideways.

Re Tabs v Treacy Tabs’ early years were difficult in that he played in a totally Pavcentric forward line. Treacy has not had that degree of competition for forward entries.
I think it’s well made point of which player complements Amiss the better.

How good is that back six!!! And the inside mids! Fyfe back in changes the whole balance of the team! Front three rock!

Only questions to be answered are wings, and half forward line.

For me, JOM into 18 instead of Banfield. Wagner on interchange as an extra defender when young and chapman move forward.
And that’s it!

A team of beauty!;)))
LOL, sorry mate. Was a bit of a troll post, just to see what sort of reaction it would get.

I probably wouldn't have Tabs or Banfield in my B22. But they'd be on Emergency list.

FWIW I didn't get nearly the love OR hate I was expecting for it. ;)

Re Tabs v Treacy Tabs’ early years were difficult in that he played in a totally Pavcentric forward line. Treacy has not had that degree of competition for forward entries.
I think it’s well made point of which player complements Amiss the better.

It’s largely irrelevant anyway imo.

Taberner improved more than most players do from their third season imo. Wasn’t much of a footballer at all until late-2017.

Other players pretty much don’t improve from their third year at all.

Your best 22 isn’t picked on the future - it’s picked on now. If the season isn’t going well or you have injuries that’s when you start picking other players.

This vidoe shows my issue with Wagner. Good run, but under zero pressure he manges to cough it up. When I see this stuff I can't "un-see" it. If one of the Wagner fans can send me some footage of him picking off a classy kick I might change my mindView attachment wagner.MOV

Yeh. Eve
This vidoe shows my issue with Wagner. Good run, but under zero pressure he manges to cough it up. When I see this stuff I can't "un-see" it. If one of the Wagner fans can send me some footage of him picking off a classy kick I might change my mindView attachment 1901221
Everyone loves a player to take the game on. When it comes off it looks flashy. But when they start coughing it up or getting caught trying do too much and their confidence drops, people be calling for their head. Eg walker in the final. Wagner in his first game

My best 22 posted yesterday doesn't have Wagner in it.

But I do think our team is a genuine winger short. I've got Sharp taking one spot and Johnson the other. Ideally I'd like Johnson playing more inside than wing.

Erasmus probably takes over from Fyfe in two years. Perhaps we just carry an extra inside mid for now and worry about the second genuine winger in two years time.

Defenders usually have high disposal efficiency due to taking safer options. One of things people actually liked about Wagner is he tried to take risks and move it more directly to try and help us score more.
I think you only need 1 winger, and then brayshaw, serong, Johnson etc can play the inside winger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This vidoe shows my issue with Wagner. Good run, but under zero pressure he manges to cough it up. When I see this stuff I can't "un-see" it. If one of the Wagner fans can send me some footage of him picking off a classy kick I might change my mindView attachment 1901221
Agree. Feel like he’s being massively overrated by a few around here.

he‘s definitely no lock imo

I might rewatch that game. The pettiness in me just enjoys watching us beat Hawks who continue to get a massive wrap despite having done nothing

Depends what you value I guess. Wagner hits the lead up and we get a clean, open inside 50.

Alternate player (potentially) doesn't take the run and carry, fans the ball out on the 45, and we maintain possession but its a slow build.

Take your point re disposal efficiency, but he'd be close to our leader in metres gained per possession.

I'm not saying Wagner should be a lock, but I'd guess we'd like to find someone to fill that role.

I might rewatch that game. The pettiness in me just enjoys watching us beat Hawks who continue to get a massive wrap despite having done nothing

Worth watching a lot of the guys we are relying on to improve played really well (Johnson, Freddy, Emmett etc) , Amiss kicked 3 and Brayshaw kicked a lovely running goal. Also I agree it annoys me how the Vic press think that Hawthorn will challenge for finals this year on the basis of natural improvement but we smashed them in that game

Yeh. Eve

Everyone loves a player to take the game on. When it comes off it looks flashy. But when they start coughing it up or getting caught trying do too much and their confidence drops, people be calling for their head. Eg walker in the final. Wagner in his first game
That’s fine, but in that case - find a better player than Wagner who does the same thing he does and get himself into those positions to make that kick in the first place. I’m not sure that player is on our list right now?

I’m not attached to Wagner the player that much at all. He’s probably an average enough exponent of the type of football we NEED to be playing.
People like Hughes are average exponents of the type of football we DONT NEED to be playing. That’s the difference.

Taking a mark in the middle of the ground, stopping for a few seconds and scanning the field with a confused look, as if they were Joe Biden at a press conference after being asked a off script question, before turning around and chipping the ball 25 m sideways to the flank, is not the answer.

Meanwhile the oppo defence has flooded back into position in those few crucial seconds and we inevitably bomb it long to a pack. That style of play is a one way ticket to the bottom 6 of the AFL ladder.

Listen I’d love to upgrade Wagner and Walker with superior equivalents such as Conor idun and Adam Saad, but that’s not gonna happen. We have to play the cards we are dealt.

I think you only need 1 winger, and then brayshaw, serong, Johnson etc can play the inside winger.
Having Serong or Brayshaw start anywhere but inside mid isn't ideal imo.

Johnson at his size should be an inside mid in theory but he's decent on the outside. You can't play three wingers that can't play elsewhere that's for sure so he's actual ideal as our fifth inside mid.

Saying you only need one winger probably isn't that far off correct but it isn't ideal imo. If we go with one winger we're probably better around most stoppages but better spread will make us look better in other areas. I think an extra mid with speed and endurance (traits most wingers have) would really help.

We'll wait and see though. I expect our fans to complain if they see Brayshaw, Erasmus or JOM line up on the wing at centre bounces though.

Johnson at his size should be an inside mid in theory but he's decent on the outside. You can't play three wingers that can't play elsewhere that's for sure so he's actual ideal as our fifth inside mid.

Saying you only need one winger probably isn't that far off correct but it isn't ideal imo. If we go with one winger we're probably better around most stoppages but better spread will make us look better in other areas. I think an extra mid with speed and endurance (traits most wingers have) would really help.

We'll wait and see though. I expect our fans to complain if they see Brayshaw, Erasmus or JOM line up on the wing at centre bounces though.
Agree with everything, Johnson is that extra midfielder with speed and outside class already though, if anything I’d like to see Young line up on the wing before AB and Serong

That’s fine, but in that case - find a better player than Wagner who does the same thing he does and get himself into those positions to make that kick in the first place. I’m not sure that player is on our list right now?

I’m not attached to Wagner the player that much at all. He’s probably an average enough exponent of the type of football we NEED to be playing.
People like Hughes are average exponents of the type of football we DONT NEED to be playing. That’s the difference.

Taking a mark in the middle of the ground, stopping for a few seconds and scanning the field with a confused look, as if they were Joe Biden at a press conference after being asked a off script question, before turning around and chipping the ball 25 m sideways to the flank, is not the answer.

Meanwhile the oppo defence has flooded back into position in those few crucial seconds and we inevitably bomb it long to a pack. That style of play is a one way ticket to the bottom 6 of the AFL ladder.

Listen I’d love to upgrade Wagner and Walker with superior equivalents such as Conor idun and Adam Saad, but that’s not gonna happen. We have to play the cards we are dealt.

Jordan Clark is light years ahead of Wagner in all aspects and so was Young when he played back, both are much better run and carry players who know how to get the ball and deliver it

Jordan Clark is light years ahead of Wagner in all aspects and so was Young when he played back, both are much better run and carry players who know how to get the ball and deliver it

Not sure a freo fan exists who thinks Wagner should be selected ahead of Clark or Young (who will be in the midfield anyway).
There is plenty of room in the side for all 3 of them

Not sure a freo fan exists who thinks Wagner should be selected ahead of Clark or Young (who will be in the midfield anyway).
There is plenty of room in the side for all 3 of them
Exactly, idk where this sentiment is coming from. In fact if Clark can be the main rebounder than our backline will be complete. He has speed and a booming kick so he is perfect for this role. The coach needs to let him off the leash.

Last edited:

Agree with everything, Johnson is that extra midfielder with speed and outside class already though, if anything I’d like to see Young line up on the wing before AB and Serong

I really think to get more midfield rotations, we need Young, Brayshaw, Serong, Johnson to all be lining up on the Wing for periods during the game.

I think it makes us less predictable at the centre bounce, and allows more people to run through the middle for small stints.

I think you should have a dedicated winger for the outside wing, and a rotated mid for the inside wing.

I really think to get more midfield rotations, we need Young, Brayshaw, Serong, Johnson to all be lining up on the Wing for periods during the game.

I think it makes us less predictable at the centre bounce, and allows more people to run through the middle for small stints.

I think you should have a dedicated winger for the outside wing, and a rotated mid for the inside wing.
Agree with this, with Fyfe also in the guts though, it’s likely Johnson play the most on the wing (for the next two years anyway) Fyfe and Young (with Johnson rotating through) gives us the size, AB and Serong gives us the two way running to get to the next contest. Once Fyfe hangs up the boots, Johnson steps into that role full time and we find another wing/inside mid, hopefully NOD, Erasmus, Stanley or Simpson are smashing the door down by then. All of whom are also contending for a HHF/mid role with JOM and Switta.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back