• Chad Warner

Votes: 141 65.0%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 14 6.5%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 5 2.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The coaches need to discuss the balance.

Emmet 4 goals from 9 matches
Switkowski 3 goals from 6 matches

At some point ‘elite’ pressure needs to be replaced by goals.

You can’t reward one and not the other. What I mean by that is we’re accepting non goal scorers because they put in effort yet ignoring goal scorers because they lack elite defensive pressure.

Find the balance Freo.
Agree, although those stats need to include score involvements to show a slightly bigger picture. I'm not optimistic about what it would show though given our low scoring style. I still agree with Mayne about the importance of tackles and forward pressure.

By the way, anyone know how Mayne is going with his coaching?

Warner is a very professional and driven individual off the field. He worked very hard to increase his speed, strength and other aspects of his game to get where he is today.
I'm pretty sure I remember a criticism of him in his draft year was a lack of speed.

Yep.

Seems laughable now.

Even at the time NWM was a better needs fit. It's an inexact art eh.
In 2021 coming out of covid I feel like there was a bit more emphasis on drafting WA only talent.
In hindsight that policy does not work and should be abandoned as the bulk of the talent is in Victoria and we simply have to be in the thick of it to get the best players at our picks.

Yeah their development is great, but access to Academy and F/S selections eases the pressure somewhat.
The thing with this is, the clubs just didn't bother bidding on Gulden until it was at a ridiculous pick in the 30s.

I'd love a grift where Heeney and Guilden fall in our lap.

The academy's being linked to clubs is the best scam in the AFL. Nobody has even given a decent answer as to why they don't just enter the draft.

The thing with this is, the clubs just didn't bother bidding on Gulden until it was at a ridiculous pick in the 30s.

I'd love a grift where Heeney and Guilden fall in our lap.

The academy's being linked to clubs is the best scam in the AFL. Nobody has even given a decent answer as to why they don't just enter the draft.
They reckon it is because they keep them away from the nrl.

Erasmus, in a sliding doors way, might be the player we needed to take for Josh Treacy to be the power forward we dreamed of.

Plan might have been to take Amiss ahead of Richmond's need for a tall, then best WA mid, then Jacob van Rooyen with the gold coast pick to start the second round.

Let's pretend that we could have taken JVR at pick #10 instead of Erasmus and still picked up Johnson at #21.

Treacy played 4 games in 2022 after 15 in his first season. Do we think a rookie listed player would get a look ahead of a top ten drafted key forward from WA?

Josh Treacy this year absolutely plays ahead of JVR for us, but he had a lot of opportunities due to being the option we had who wasn't injured and he is a competitor.

And I still think Erasmus will come on when he becomes the second strongest guy on the squad after Matt Johnson.

Errol Gulden was so locked into footy that both his parents grew up supporting AFL teams, Geelong for his dad and Carlton for his mum, and his mum working at the Swans was why the family was in the Swans catchment zone to begin with.

There was no chance Gulden didn't get to footy. Just like Blakey was never going elsewhere, but his dad worked at the Swans too so he was in their catchment zone.

Yes, the Academy's do. That has little to do with them being linked to clubs.

In fact, it's downright insulting to suggest a kid from WA/SA is mature enough to enter the draft and play anywhere in Australia to follow his dream, but Qld/NSW kids aren't as equipped and need to stay at home.

Errol Gulden was so locked into footy that both his parents grew up supporting AFL teams, Geelong for his dad and Carlton for his mum, and his mum working at the Swans was why the family was in the Swans catchment zone to begin with.

There was no chance Gulden didn't get to footy. Just like Blakey was never going elsewhere, but his dad worked at the Swans too so he was in their catchment zone.
I don't believed it. Just that that is the excuse.being used. It's a rort. I reckon a few of the Northern clubs are going to start whining about the largess gifted to GC soon. Even the academy access is now unbalanced. Time to pay proper price for top end academy talent if they want them. If they don't want to pay the price, they don't have to. Just let them go into the draft. It is their choice.
Yes, the Academy's do. That has little to do with them being linked to clubs.

In fact, it's downright insulting to suggest a kid from WA/SA is mature enough to enter the draft and play anywhere in Australia to follow his dream, but Qld/NSW kids aren't as equipped and need to stay at home.
I agree totally.

Warner went at #39, if Freo wanted Warner they could have traded back into the draft to get him the way you did the next year for O’Driscoll.

To be honest Warner wasn’t even on anyone’s radar in 2019 pre-championships, he became draftable based on his tagging role on Rowell, even then he really only showed his negating qualities.

Even when he debuted for Swans in 2020, he got 6 disposals. It really wasn’t until 2021 that he showed that he could be a damaging mid at AFL level.

For Warner it’s all about development and opportunity.
Nope, I've looked at this before, noone traded out of that draft with realistic picks, unless we gave up an F1 it would not have happened. (and noone was gonna do that)

We used an F2 for picks in the 50s, noone wanted out of that draft.

Can dig through my posts and find it if you want (good luck lol) but I have definitely checked this trade into the draft theory before.

Warner was not on the table for us barring a massive reach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner is a very professional and driven individual off the field. He worked very hard to increase his speed, strength and other aspects of his game to get where he is today.
People are forgetting he was also an awful kick as a draftee - every other kick was likely to be a clanger. The only thing he had going for him at the time was size and okay speed. It was why he didn't go very high.

I was curious so I found Warners draft profile.
It’s a bit like Fyfe, no one knew what he was on the way to becoming.

We would have lost our minds if we’d taken him over Serong & Young & seen what those guys produced in their first few years.

“Despite being neat with ball in hand, Warner doesn’t have as much finesse by foot. However, once he is in an AFL environment, this aspect of his game should improve. He may not have the penetration in his kicking, but Warner has also shown an ability to be effective and damaging with his handball ability, often opening up the play for his team from stoppages.
Compared to some other midfielders in the draft pool, Warner does not boast the same explosive athleticism as some other midfield prospects. However, he did test well at the National Combine in the 2km time trial (6:29 minutes), the and yo-yo test (level 21.6),
What is evident is that Warner plays to his strengths; a handy skill to have in an AFL environment.
DRAFT RANGE: Third to Fourth Round”

Is Ralph reliable? If this is true it could suggest a big player is leaving.
View attachment 1992511
Plotting Episode 4 GIF by The Simpsons

Ralph is not reliable but an educated guess on Hayward staying does make sense
If Hayward stays they will likely lose a star player. The two players they could potentially lose are both linked to WA. I hope for our sake we have cooled off Macca and are going all out for Warner. It is worrying that Macca hasn't re-signed with Sydney yet. Would the Eagles trade for him?

I was curious so I found Warners draft profile.
It’s a bit like Fyfe, no one knew what he was on the way to becoming.

We would have lost our minds if we’d taken him over Serong & Young & seen what those guys produced in their first few years.

“Despite being neat with ball in hand, Warner doesn’t have as much finesse by foot. However, once he is in an AFL environment, this aspect of his game should improve. He may not have the penetration in his kicking, but Warner has also shown an ability to be effective and damaging with his handball ability, often opening up the play for his team from stoppages.
Compared to some other midfielders in the draft pool, Warner does not boast the same explosive athleticism as some other midfield prospects. However, he did test well at the National Combine in the 2km time trial (6:29 minutes), the and yo-yo test (level 21.6),
What is evident is that Warner plays to his strengths; a handy skill to have in an AFL environment.
DRAFT RANGE: Third to Fourth Round”

That’s a thin draft assessment if they say that he doesnt boast the same explosive athleticism as other prospects???

Back