List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod notice after Mr Bob did a lot of annoying work in moving days of posts out of here. As we are heading into offseason, this thread is for 2023 list management only. Getting upset on previous trades can be taken to the vent thread. Lets keep this thread on track in the part of the year it's actually relevant

Last edited:

We also have Chapman who played key defender as a junior.

Why don’t we just take a small risk for a change in this off season?
Let hamling go, free the list spot, use a compo pick if we get one, and back in the key defender options we have without him.

Then go and draft an extra player in a position we actually need to improve the best 22, using hamlings list spot.
I’m thinking Shaun Mannagh, Ashton Moir, heck - any Wallsy special at pick 55 or whatever.

Take. The. Risk.

Worst case scenario - put Kuek (who honestly is lucky to be on the list next year anyway, harsh I know but it’s true) on the long term injury list early next year and take the best state league KPD available at Round 10 next year, as back up.

We are basically betting on Cox and Pearce staying fit for the first 10 rounds next year. It’s not exactly an era defining gamble here.

We also have Chapman who played key defender as a junior.

Why don’t we just take a small risk for a change in this off season?
Let hamling go, free the list spot, use a compo pick if we get one, and back in the key defender options we have without him.

Then go and draft an extra player in a position we actually need to improve the best 22, using hamlings list spot.
I’m thinking Shaun Mannagh, Ashton Moir, heck - any Wallsy special at pick 55 or whatever.

Take. The. Risk.

Worst case scenario - put Kuek (who honestly is lucky to be on the list next year anyway, harsh I know but it’s true) on the long term injury list early next year and take the best state league KPD available at Round 10 next year, as back up.

We are basically betting on Cox and Pearce staying fit for the first 10 rounds next year. It’s not exactly an era defining gamble here.

Basically my thinking. Hamling may have a few serviceable years in him but he’s depth… at best. People up in arms like you can’t find more depth OR wait for it… play the young depth we have. Sure they’re not ready but at the same time neither was Frampton to play in a GF.

Such a quiet trade period if the squad around Hamling creates panic.

Yeah my bad juju senses are tingling with Joel Hamling.

This is what will happen should we let him go for nothing:
  • We awaken Dockery, the football god of misfortune,
  • Three of our remaining KPD have significant injury layoffs in 2023,
  • We lament our bad luck with injuries as a major cause for conceding high scores and therefore missing finals,
  • We also get a KPD in the mid-season draft on an 18-month contract (which is probably what Hamling wanted in the first place),
  • Joel Hamling plays all games next season and stars in his new team's finals run (known as the Blakres Scenario),
  • Competition points at us and lets out a hearty 'Haw haw'. Again,
  • We nominate the next player to let go for nothing.
1696382711280.png

I can see why the AFL give the Lions access to the NGA from the first round…they keep losing players and can’t ever attract anyone…

We will need to do the exact same thing as Brisbane have done over the last few years if we want a decent flag window.
By the time we get to 2025 onwards we should be regularly trading picks out and good quality players in.
If done well, like brisbane have done, that is what gives you a 7 or 8 year window to win a flag in finals instead of a 3 or 4 year one.

• We lament our bad luck with injuries as a major cause for conceding high scores and therefore missing finals,
  • We also get a KPD in the mid-season draft on an 18-month contract (which is probably what Hamling wanted in the first place),
  • Joel Hamling plays all games next season and stars in his new team's finals run (known as the Blakres Scenario),
Needs a trade future picks for full effect.

Acres was a best 22 player. Hamling only got games when Cox was injured. It's not the same situation at all. If Cox doesn't do his ankle Hamling is likely delisted. Crying over players that have played 6 games in 4 years and one as a first 22 selection is ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we should give a guy that’s 32 next year a 2 year deal to play at peel, just incase he happens to be good at Sydney?
Can’t agree with that.

It’s up to our list managers to make the opportunity provided by Hamlings departure into a win.

We will need to do the exact same thing as Brisbane have done over the last few years if we want a decent flag window.
By the time we get to 2025 onwards we should be regularly trading picks out and good quality players in.
If done well, like brisbane have done, that is what gives you a 7 or 8 year window to win a flag in finals instead of a 3 or 4 year one.
Except we have no basis to lure players to Perth. There's no appeal here at all.

If we offer 2 for Hamling then I reckon we are genuinely exploring cox forward, that's the only reason I could see us doing it

cox just signed on long term and I expect he signed thinking he is a defender though

Acres was a best 22 player. Hamling only got games when Cox was injured. It's not the same situation at all. If Cox doesn't do his ankle Hamling is likely delisted. Crying over players that have played 6 games in 4 years and one as a first 22 selection is ridiculous.
So we should give a guy that’s 32 next year a 2 year deal to play at peel, just incase he happens to be good at Sydney?
Can’t agree with that.

It’s up to our list managers to make the opportunity provided by Hamlings departure into a win.
My point is if we leave ourselves open to such a scenario, they find a way to come true. It also goes against the idea of keeping stability in the playing group. If we wanted to keep Hamling then we should have made that possible.

Sure we could...if we had access to Will Ashcroft, Jasper Fletcher, Levi Ashcroft as well as open access to their academy from the first sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back