List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod notice after Mr Bob did a lot of annoying work in moving days of posts out of here. As we are heading into offseason, this thread is for 2023 list management only. Getting upset on previous trades can be taken to the vent thread. Lets keep this thread on track in the part of the year it's actually relevant

Last edited:
Hypothetically if one of Cox or pearce goes down

Ryan can play tall
maybe Chapman
Hughes
Davies

All around that 190-194cm range

Not great but manageable

Both go down... we are in pain

I'm bummed he's leaving, I would like another year as insurance but I guess we are choosing the battles we want to be in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are looking at it in a list management perspective. Myself and others are looking at the 22 if Cox/Pearce go down. It’s more experience lost which the club openly didn’t want this off season.

Bell & Walls have a little work to do now. Earn their keep.
We can cover if one goes down, if two go down then we are in a little bit of trouble but we just can't afford to give hammer 2 years, much rather fast track Davies if 2 go down

As much as I don't think there's anyone as good as Hamling in the state leagues I very much doubt there isn't anyone aged between say 21 and 28 on the state leagues that couldn't do Hamling's likely role (probably 5-10 games) for us next season.

Interested in what happens with Doedee situation tbh. Brisbane drafted Joyce as a KPD in the SPP. I suspect he gets delisted if they get Doedee. We could do far worse.
Joyce is already signed for next year with the Lions

As much as I don't think there's anyone as good as Hamling in the state leagues I very much doubt there isn't anyone aged between say 21 and 28 on the state leagues that couldn't do Hamling's likely role (probably 5-10 games) for us next season.

Interested in what happens with Doedee situation tbh. Brisbane drafted Joyce as a KPD in the SPP. I suspect he gets delisted if they get Doedee. We could do far worse.
Joyce is useless, would rather wait and take blight at the msd IF we lose both our kpd next year, otherwise we won't need it anyway

You are looking at it in a list management perspective. Myself and others are looking at the 22 if Cox/Pearce go down. It’s more experience lost which the club openly didn’t want this off season.

Really looked like Pearce was playing injured for games this year, thought it would have been better to play Hamling until Pearce could get his body right. Hamling worked his way back to form after the injuries and at his best can shut down the best KPFs.

We could change tack with that Liam Henry trade and ask for someone like Dougal Howard in return.

But we could say the same about amiss? And tabs? And Treacy?
Using that logic we should withdraw altogether from this years draft and instead use the list spots to sign a few more depth key forwards, just incase amiss and Treacy and tabs all do a knee in the first 2 rounds.

No club wants to waste valuable trade and salary cap space on a player that’s clearly afl standard, at peel.

Sydney are offering him a chance to play 40 afl games over the next 2 years for a finals side.
We are offering him a 12 month deal to teach Hugh Davies and Josh Draper where to stand during WAFL games. He’s too good for that.

Every player like that we have down there is one less opportunity we have to improve the list via the draft this off season.

It would be COMPLETELY different if Joel were a member of our B22.
But he’s absolutely, categorically, not. The match committee have made that crystal clear in their decisions.

We could change tack with that Liam Henry trade and ask for someone like Dougal Howard in return.
Howard is a salary dump. Make no mistake about it. Won't cost much from a trade perspective but would be on to much money for what we're looking for.

Suspect we look at state league KPDs though DFA and the third round of the draft onwards tbh.

Whoever we bring in needs to be cheap from a salary perspective.

Pies are now showing interest in Hamling and potentially other vic clubs.

He will walk in to swans 22.

He is not on our best 22. If Pearce or Cox go down in the first half of the season there is always the mid season draft.

Let's hope Lobb the Flog get traded. he's that much of flog still won't realise that "it's not you it's me"!

Howard is a salary dump. Make no mistake about it. Won't cost much from a trade perspective but would be on to much money for what we're looking for.

Suspect we look at state league KPDs though DFA and the third round of the draft onwards tbh.

Whoever we bring in needs to be cheap from a salary perspective.
Who's out there as a KPD DFA though? Key defenders are kept like Ruckmen these days. If you can at least sneeze at an AFL standard, you're usually kept as long as you want to stay.

Hypothetically if one of Cox or pearce goes down

Ryan can play tall
maybe Chapman
Hughes
Davies

All around that 190-194cm range

Not great but manageable

Both go down... we are in pain

I'm bummed he's leaving, I would like another year as insurance but I guess we are choosing the battles we want to be in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I covered this in a previous post, but Draper (197cm) and Davies (196cm) are the two main pieces in my view, plus Ryan (or someone else) playing taller and then pushing Treacy back.
Neither Draper or Davies are ready to take the key role, which is why it'd be nice to have Hamling for another year as a bridge in case of a dual Cox/Pearce injury, but I suspect the club will just run that risk and look to the draft.

Hamling is actually only listed at 194cm as well, but he has a mature body and knows how to position.
I mean Ryan is shorter than most of the other even medium defenders, but there's a reason he's been the preferred option to take KPFs previously, he can hold his own if there's enough pressure on the delivery.

The 2024 problem for me is we now have have a heavy reliance on all of Amiss, Pearce and Cox playing the majority of games, otherwise we'll be quite exposed.
It also removes the ability to proactively bring in Hamling for Cox and swing the latter forward as additional KPF backup.

It seemed like they were close to playing Draper early in the year. Reportedly play well in the match sims. Almost got a call up. Then he seemed to tail off. Probably just a young player getting tired. But with another pre-season, maybe he could be ready to fill in next year if required.

Just saw some crows nuffy on Twitter suggest pick 9 and a future second for Oliver…. 🤦

Maybe this is all a giant ruse by Tom Morris to boost his profile on trade radio

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not so sure we end up with compo pick for Hamling. Put it this way I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we do which will be a pick in mid 40’s.

There are a couple of highly rated KPD in VFL and state leagues. Consider some of these:
  • Bailey Van De Heuval (200cm)
  • Mutaz El Nour (192/193cm)
  • Jacob Blight (Peel - 195cm)
  • Tyreece Leiu (194cm)
  • Jaiden Hunter whilst injured remains out of contract

A poster who claimed to be ITK did say Freo was very keen on Mutaz El Nour.

Yeah but Clayton Oliver...

He's much better and more accomplished then Hogan ever was.

If he's that good and everything was rosy off field, you've gotta ask yourself why would Melbourne be open to trading him?

We've already lost a dual Brownlow medallist for nothing.

How many games has hammer played the last 4 years compared to moose

It ain't pretty viewing

Yeah I’m joking bro.

Losing Hamling won’t bother me in the slightest.

It’s just for all the ‘What if?’ Posters.

People bang on about KPD like they’re rare. The good ones are. Hamling is far from good these days.

Serviceable? Sure. The serviceable ones you can find.

In the trade period's whirlwind dance, a tale was spun anew,
Clayton Oliver, a star in blue and red he'd bid adieu.
From Demons' grace to Fremantle's embrace, a shift profound and bold,
In the west, a new journey unfolds, his story yet untold.

With a mighty Dockers' cheer, they welcomed him with pride,
To the land of purple sunsets, where his skills would not subside.
In the heart of Freo's midfield, his talents set to soar,
A warrior on the field, a leader we would adore.

Through the waves of change, he'd steer his ship so true,
A captain's heart within him, but in the purple not red and blue.
Optus oval's hallowed turf, where legends carve their name,
Oliver's legacy begins, in the Dockers' quest for fame.

From Melbourne's windswept MCG to Fremantle's pristine shore,
Clayton Oliver, a warrior's heart, forever shall he roar.
In this year's trade period, a tale unfolds, a journey to behold,
In the Dockers' colors, his story of triumph will be told.

Who's out there as a KPD DFA though? Key defenders are kept like Ruckmen these days. If you can at least sneeze at an AFL standard, you're usually kept as long as you want to stay.
Was thinking of previously delisted KPDs tbh.

If the best mature aged KPD in the state leagues was a guy delisted 2-3 years ago DFA is an option.

I would prefer Hamling but our key defender depth list looks like this, probably in this order:
Brennan Cox, Alex Pearce [C], Luke Ryan [AA], [Joel Hamling was here], Hugh Davies, Josh Draper

That's before we start exploring the likes of Treacy back and Reidy forward.

I think I'd rather use that last pick on a player who could be something more for us than cover for a year or two.

Melbourne are shrewd. They sold us Hogan missing a testicle and with a navicular fracture. He was damaged goods with a substance problem. They sold high, while his prior reputation lingered. They appear to be doing the same with Clayton Oliver.

If hamling is on the move a mature key tall back is a must. If Pearce and cox goes down we literally only have Davies as the only key tall back. It must be addressed asap

I would prefer Hamling but our key defender depth list looks like this, probably in this order:
Brennan Cox, Alex Pearce [C], Luke Ryan [AA], [Joel Hamling was here], Hugh Davies, Josh Draper

That's before we start exploring the likes of Treacy back and Reidy forward.

I think I'd rather use that last pick on a player who could be something more for us than cover for a year or two.
I think Hughes could help in a pinch, has done it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back