• McDonald

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 63 51.2%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's give Jacky Delean at least a game or two before worrying about trading for more small forwards. I have a strange, ungrounded, possibly over-exuberant good feeling about this guy.
We need two. Trading for 1 more is fine.

Walters and Scultz replacement

Having 3 guns in the forward line is fine as well providing they are ok on the lead and in the air.

I would like to get to the point we have good forwards kicking 2 plus goals a game in the wafl and not getting a game.

Having 3 guns in the forward line is fine as well providing they are ok on the lead and in the air.

I would like to get to the point we have good forwards kicking 2 plus goals a game in the wafl and not getting a game.
Agreed you can never have enough AFL quality forwards we have learned that the hard way over the years.
While the early commentary on Delean is promising he’s still completely unproven and was taken at pick 60 so we probably won’t know for 2 years if he’s going to be a long term player for us. Hence we need to act as if he isn’t going to be, and then if he does make it - that’s a nice bonus.
I’d love a teens pick on a quality small forward next year in the late first round even if we get Logan McDonald.
That’s the range you have a better chance of picking up a Pickett/Weightman type of player

Who even are you

Who even are you
Haha

Trading for players is ok, after you have rebuilt your list.

Not saying I am happy with the list, but with the age of core players and quality I think the best option is to find more quality a similar age to Brayshaw, serong and vo.

Trading during the rebuild is bad.

Haha

Trading for players is ok, after you have rebuilt your list.

Not saying I am happy with the list, but with the age of core players and quality I think the best option is to find more quality a similar age to Brayshaw, serong and vo.

Trading during the rebuild is bad.
Trading for players with similar age to Brayshaw and Serong? Just like we did in 2021 with Jordan Clark?

Perhaps it's finding the right players at the right age not when you do it.

We brought in Clark and three top 25 picks in the same off season. Can't complain about that trade despite the fact we were rebuilding

Max Beattie?

If a quality small/medium forward becomes available at reasonable price then sure. None really come to mind at moment.

Kinda..he just seems to know where the goals are no matter his position. Kinda like Barlow where his foot speed was slow but he could read the ball and know where it would be and position accordingly.
Barlow was a great example of a fast brain being better than fast legs. Of course, having both is even better but I'd choose the football brain over physical attributes.

Barlow was a great example of a fast brain being better than fast legs. Of course, having both is even better but I'd choose the football brain over physical attributes.
Ballantyne the same in a way.
He was always thought of as rapid, but I watched him closely & he was just so much faster to react, meaning he got the jump on the oppo & hence looked much faster than them.

Ballantyne the same in a way.
He was always thought of as rapid, but I watched him closely & he was just so much faster to react, meaning he got the jump on the oppo & hence looked much faster than them.
I've been saying this here for years. If you know how to football you'll always be better than the best athlete. History is littered with athletic chumps that were absolute champion footballers. Particularly Midfielders/Forwards.
Here's a short list off the top of my head.
James Hird
Diesel Williams
Scott West
Libba Snr
Brad Johnson
Nathan Buckley
Michael Voss
Matt Priddis
Sam Micthell
Jeremy McGovern is a recent defender who just knows where to go so doesn't need to fit...
Etc Etc Etc
Barlow could have been awesome until he broke his leg. It's why I'm so excited about Treacy, has a footballers brain.

I've been saying this here for years. If you know how to football you'll always be better than the best athlete. History is littered with athletic chumps that were absolute champion footballers. Particularly Midfielders/Forwards.
James Hird
Diesel Williams
Scott West
Libba Snr
Brad Johnson
Nathan Buckley
Michael Voss
Matt Priddis
Sam Micthell
Jeremy McGovern is a recent defender who just knows where to go so doesn't need to fit...
Etc Etc Etc
Barlow could have been awesome until he broke his leg. It's why I'm so excited about Treacy, has a footballers brain.
I remember Sam Mitchell looking like Usain Bolt against us at $ubi one time.
That caused me to look further.

James Hird
Diesel Williams
Scott West
Libba Snr
Brad Johnson
Nathan Buckley
Michael Voss
Matt Priddis
Sam Micthell
Etc Etc Etc

Barlow came good again. His 2013 season was awesome. He was best on IMO against Geelong in the first week of finals. His grand final was very good too. Both he and Mundy were about our best players on the day.

Barlow came good again. His 2013 season was awesome. He was best on IMO against Geelong in the first week of finals. His grand final was very good too. Both he and Mundy were about our best players on the day.
Barlow is one of my favourite Freo players ever. When we delisted him i was very upset. I nearly stopped supporting the club.

James Hird
Diesel Williams
Scott West
Libba Snr
Brad Johnson
Nathan Buckley
Michael Voss
Matt Priddis
Sam Micthell
Etc Etc Etc
People say this a lot, but it's a spectrum and there's many examples of good footballers who can't make it in the AFL as they don't have the athletic traits.

If you're a midfielder and can't make enough contests it's hard to impact, if you're a defender and can't match your opponent you get beaten and if you're a forward and can't get any separation then you get blanketed or shut out of the game.

It's not one or the other, you need some of both.
As the general level has risen across the AFL this has become even more true in my view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to offer up an alternative use (that's been mentioned a bit but not in depth) of our 3 first rounders next year other then getting Logan McDonald.

The likeliest event is our 3 first rounders are about 10, 15 and 17. I am very much aware of the folly of trying to guess this far ahead but as we hit the quiet period of pre season its a good discussion point, so go with it.
If Logan has a breakout year, all 3 of those are going as none are top 10 and he is looking every bit a top 5 pick. Out of contract doesn't matter, as per Luke Jackson, Freo will pay the players worth.
If he has an average to bad year, we are giving up 2 of them, with one being our top pick as he still is a top 5 pick, young key forward with plenty of potential.

Now I am a big believer in Treacy being a great second foil to Amiss, with Darcy re-signed we are now locked on having the 1 2 combo of him and Jackson, if we get Logan there is no way he fits without Treacy going out, trying to fit them in leaves us far too tall even with Jackson + Treacy's great ground level game, the game is stepping up in speed, tall teams aren't going to be the norm.

Now is the price worth it to replace a really capable second fwd that ticks all the right boxes you would want in a young key tall, with a potential star level player that could equal or even better the combination of McKay and Curnow in Amiss and McDonald, when we have seen those two have not been an answer to a flag (as of yet)?

The alternative scenarios... We spend all 3 first rounders, on small/med forwards with talent instead of pick 40+ types, have 3 shots at the dartboard with decent enough picks. Or better yet, trade 2 of our top picks and get ourselves into the top 10 for a team needing points, giving us 2 shots at the dartboard with 1 being a proper talent. Or take it another step, depending on the draft pooi talent and if there is a small/medium forward around the mark, trade all 3 and get into the top 5, add another absolute top line pick like Serong, Brayshaw, Young, Jackson and Amiss and take one of our last swipes at some top shelf forward talent, before we rise and stay up challenging for a while as our window suggests.

I like Logan, I really do, but instead of replacing an area of already decent future strength which I believe our key fwds are, why not invest in an equally as good talent (draft pick wise) in a position of weakness where once Walters retires, we are severely lacking. Without Walters it's a pick 53 Switkowski, rookie pick Banfield, pick 60 Jack Delean, pick 41 Emmett and pick 17 Sturt (surprise Sturt has the most goal kicking talent).

Picks of course aren't everything and they aren't a measure of success, but it is a pretty clear indication of talent and production.
This all means naught of course if we cook the year and already have a top 5 pick or end up with picks 16,17 and 18. But high end forward talent gets you players like Amiss, so why not follow that process with the smaller fellas too?

Food for thought.

I like the idea of trading for McDonald with two of our four available first round picks (2024 & 2025 first), then using the other two to buy the top ten pick of a club who will need to match bids with points and picking the best small forward there as that small forward should be able to immediately step into the team.

Barlow is one of my favourite Freo players ever. When we delisted him i was very upset. I nearly stopped supporting the club.
I hope he comes back as a coach soon. He absolutely bleeds purple.

I like the idea of trading for McDonald with two of our four available first round picks (2024 & 2025 first), then using the other two to buy the top ten pick of a club who will need to match bids with points and picking the best small forward there as that small forward should be able to immediately step into the team.
Hypothetically, who is the team selling a top 10 pick because they have to match a bid higher than their pick?

James Hird
Diesel Williams
Scott West
Libba Snr
Brad Johnson
Nathan Buckley
Michael Voss
Matt Priddis
Sam Micthell
Etc Etc Etc
The thing is the term 'athletic chumps' just means someone who is ABNORMALLY athletic. All of those above names were athletes and above average athletes at that. I don't anyone that is playing AFL is not an 'athlete'.

Hypothetically, who is the team selling a top 10 pick because they have to match a bid higher than their pick?

Carlton has one of their father sons spoken of in the top 1-3 at the moment.

I would very much like for them to end up with pick #8 and trade it to us for #14 and #15

This is my exact thought as well. Freo msy be able to trade up before or on draft night and nail the best small forward in the comp or even pick an outside mid/forward that has elite qualities

That is the winning ticket for sure. Although I wouldn't be certain Treacy will want to spend his career in the 2's and i would expect he would start to look elsewhere.

I don't think it would work but I definitely would still love to see if we could line up Treacy, Amiss, McDonald, Darcy and Jackson all in one team because if it somehow did work and we didn't just get cut up by the oppo half back line, it would be one hell of an arsenal to test defences.

That is the winning ticket for sure. Although I wouldn't be certain Treacy will want to spend his career in the 2's and i would expect he would start to look elsewhere.

I don't think it would work but I definitely would still love to see if we could line up Treacy, Amiss, McDonald, Darcy and Jackson all in one team because if it somehow did work and we didn't just get cut up by the oppo half back line, it would be one hell of an arsenal to test defences.
That will work if Jackson is a mid/ruck who very occasionally rests forward.
Treacy, Amiss and McDonald would spend 15-20% of game time on the bench each, so 45-60% of game time one of them is off the ground. The other 40-55% of the time one of them can play the link up role, roaming up the ground then turning back towards goal, leaving the other 2 permanently in F50, will need lots of runners around them though.

Back