Remove this Banner Ad

This is fine in theory, now pick two of the following to get delisted instead

Emmett
Sturt
Knobel
Noddy
Stanley
Wagner
Look I agree with you right now but writing off two blokes that've been best 26-odd for multiple seasons for these guys that've almost played less good games between them than one of Banfield and Hughes isn't what I'd do now.

I'm keeping an open mind tbh. Obviously the club needs to weigh up their performance this year vs potential vs about of depth in certain roles/positions.

Every single one of those players needs to show improvement and/or consistency to prove they'll be a better option than Banfield. Hughes might be different as he's 30 going into next season.

Look I agree with you right now but writing off two blokes that've been best 26-odd for multiple seasons for these guys that've almost played less good games between them than one of Banfield and Hughes isn't what I'd do now.

I'm keeping an open mind tbh. Obviously the club needs to weigh up their performance this year vs potential vs about of depth in certain roles/positions.

Every single one of those players needs to show improvement and/or consistency to prove they'll be a better option than Banfield. Hughes might be different as he's 30 going into next season.
Banfield I can see surviving, it’s the Hughes one that people confuse me on. Not that I have anything against him and have always liked him as depth back there but 30 year old general defender WAFL players aren’t a thing on AFL lists

Banfield I can see surviving, it’s the Hughes one that people confuse me on. Not that I have anything against him and have always liked him as depth back there but 30 year old general defender WAFL players aren’t a thing on AFL lists
We’ve already painted ourselves into a corner with Hughes by extending Worner beyond this year, usually I would have said it’s on Worner to overtake Hughes to take that position, but we’ve already given it to the unproven player.

We’ve already painted ourselves into a corner with Hughes by extending Worner beyond this year, usually I would have said it’s on Worner to overtake Hughes to take that position, but we’ve already given it to the unproven player.
This exactly.

I was quite impressed with Worner last Friday. Gave a lot of run out of defence.
Hughes on the other hand has never ever given any. Gives it everything in the contest though.

The worner v Hughes thing is interesting

They are the same height but I'd say Hughes plays tall and worner plays short
There's this, and the fact that Worner gives the appearance of being a rebounder, whereas Hughes has been typecast as a lockdown/intercept defender. From where I was sitting, I saw a bit of growth from Hughes as a rebounder last season. He'd obviously been coached over the previous preseason to move the ball on quickly as part of his preparation for the wing, and he looked to me to be showing some development in that respect — not that he ever got much in the way of acknowledgement for it from his most vocal critics.

100%.
Giving a 2 year extension to a rookie listed player drafted as an overager before
he’d even played a game, was… odd, to say the least.

Big Animal definitely would not be delisting Knobel. He’s already sounding like he could be worth a second round pick from several clubs in a year or two.

100%.
Giving a 2 year extension to a rookie listed player drafted as an overager before

Big Animal definitely would not be delisting Knobel. He’s already sounding like he could be worth a second round pick from several clubs in a year or two.
Plus I'd delisted Reidy already from those names

100%.

Delisting a 19 year old ruckman would be dumb list management in most circumstances imo.

He'll get another two years just by showing a little bit of improvement.

Unlike most of those others he doesn't need to play AFL games this year to get another contract.

Plus I'd delisted Reidy already from those names
Some of those names or Banfield or Hughes probably get delisted and rookies tbh.

With Worner having another year (delisting and rookie listing him is also an option), making space on the rookie list might be part of making room on the senior list.

Sharp and Worner will be at Freo in 2025. No guarantees about the rest of our rookie list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see how Reidy is ever going to be AFL standard. Seems to me like he plays like a 207cm ruckman but is 'only' 203. Too short to compete with the giants and not athletic enough to compete with your jumping types (e.g. Jackson). Like Meek.
Given the talk about Knobels inprovement this year - for me Reidy is an absolute banker to be delisted. There is Odin Jones as well. That would be 5 rucks on the list - overkill. Especially when two of the best rucks in the league are sitting at one and two in the club pecking order.

Freo has always been obsessed with ruck stocks though. We sacrifice other areas of the ground to keep extra rucks. Clubs like Collingwood and Port as just two examples, seem to be always looking for a mature state league ruck.
Often those clubs are looking for a ruck in the MSD, and improvise with other makeshift guys in the position, but I reckon our recruitment team lies awake at night in a cold sweat, feeling fear and terror at the idea we may ever find ourselves in that situation.

Can't see how Reidy is ever going to be AFL standard. Seems to me like he plays like a 207cm ruckman but is 'only' 203. Too short to compete with the giants and not athletic enough to compete with your jumping types (e.g. Jackson). Like Meek.
I can see a scenario where he's good enough to stay on a list as a back up type for quite a while tbh. There's so many sh** back up rucks throughout the league and teams just trade for them and/or keep them because they can play in the ruck.

Having said that, everything you've said is pretty much spot on.

Given the talk about Knobels inprovement this year - for me Reidy is an absolute banker to be delisted. There is Odin Jones as well. That would be 5 rucks on the list - overkill. Especially when two of the best rucks in the league are sitting at one and two in the club pecking order.

Freo has always been obsessed with ruck stocks though. We sacrifice other areas of the ground to keep extra rucks. Clubs like Collingwood and Port as just two examples, seem to be always looking for a mature state league ruck.
Often those clubs are looking for a ruck in the MSD, and improvise with other makeshift guys in the position, but I reckon our recruitment team lies awake at night in a cold sweat, feeling fear and terror at the idea we may ever find ourselves in that situation.
Port literally just recruited two AFL listed rucks and delisted a bunch of C Grade rucks so have probably identified ruck as an area if improvement. Don't think Sweet is all that much better than someone like Reidy though.

Odin isn't earmarked to become a ruck though, he's a long shot forward.

I guess if you want to remain a perpetual bottom 6 team then yeah - keep playing Banfield and Hughes. Even though we have seen close to 200 games combined from both of them, the vast vast majority of them for a team stuck in the oblivion of the bottom half of the ladder, some people think that (a) we are going to rise up to finals contention and (b) these guys are going to remain key role players.
How much more evidence is needed they are not good enough? To me they are two of the most obvious candidates for delisting I’ve seen in years at this stage of the season. Unless one of them turns into a completely different player in 2024 (just about zero chance of that happening) they are both goners. Nathan Wilson for example is a much better player than Hughes but his card was marked early last year.

When we were last a top 4 team we had a lot of role players on the list - Danyle Pearce, Clancee Pearce, Matt deBoer, Nick Suban, Tommy Sheridan, Tendai Mzungu, Cam Sutcliffe, etc. If the likes of Banfield and Hughes play half a dozen games each and fill their role that's fine. You want some depth on your list who are 25+ and not just 19 year olds.

He is pretty similar to Toby Nankervis (like a budget version of him) and he somehow became a 3x premiership player

He is decent backup, the problem is we are carrying an extra ruck on the list already, If Darcy had been locked away pre draft then surely we either skip Odin or delist Reidy

I assume you can't bet on the Bernie Naylor medal? Patrick Voss would be a great chance to kick 60+ WAFL goals this year.
Geez if he’s kicking those numbers and staying in the 2nds our fwd line must be destroying defences.

Probably not since Ryan Murphy have we had a fwd who consistently kicked big numbers in the wafl.

He is pretty similar to Toby Nankervis (like a budget version of him) and he somehow became a 3x premiership player

He is decent backup, the problem is we are carrying an extra ruck on the list already, If Darcy had been locked away pre draft then surely we either skip Odin or delist Reidy

I think Darcy, Jackson, Knobel and Jones would be just about perfect in 2-3 years (if the last two stay around that long) tbh.

Three guys that can genuinely be the no.1 ruck and a forward/ruck who provides depth both as a forward and ruck is the ideal mix imo.

The reason we needed a mature ager like Reidy on the list was that the club only had Darcy, Meek and a reluctant Lobb as ruck options for 2-3 years - we should’ve had drafted ruck no.3 and developed them underneath Darcy and Meek in either 2019 or 2020.

Geez if he’s kicking those numbers and staying in the 2nds our fwd line must be destroying defences.

Probably not since Ryan Murphy have we had a fwd who consistently kicked big numbers in the wafl.
Is he mobile enough to play as a 4th tall or 3rd tall with Jackson as the 4th tall?

I am not sure how you squeeze him into the side other wise, unless he takes Treacy\Taberner's spot.

Back