• McDonald

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 63 51.2%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So who is looking good for a mis season selection to plug some defence holes for us?

Not yet for me. We’ve still got Davies and Draper on the list - let’s actually see how they go before talking about recruiting others.

Pearce, Cox and McDonald all played 13 or more games in their second year on an AFL list. Davies and Draper won’t be ready to lead the backline or anything but if they’re serious footballers for the future they should be able to provide a contribution greater than the majority of state league KPDs.

McDonald himself was an AFL standard KPD who lost his way mainly due to injuries and Melbourne recruiting Steven May and Jake Lever forcing him out.

History shows MSD selections usually last more than the 2-3 months after the MSD. I’d see another KPD on our list for next season as a waste of a list spot for 2025 tbh. I also don’t think selecting someone knowing they’ll only play for us for 2-3 months is overly fair on the player.

Last edited:
Logan 'at the moment' McDonald 😀

Speaking to Fox Footy post-match, McDonald was coy when probed about his contract situation.

Demons great Garry Lyon cheekily posed: “I am aware you’re out of contract and my football club is looking for a big key forward, where’s that all sitting at the moment?”

To which McDonald responded: “I’m happy just letting my manager and the club work through that. I’m happy playing footy for the Swans at the moment and I’m loving my time.”
The key language is the use of the word “at the moment”. It does mean something I reckon. The other thing I notice was barra who is president of his former club, said he could see him at freo on his pod. Also swans going for JUH. A lot of small things point to him coming imo.

Last edited:
The problem with young player is stats / production is a smaller part of the story.

JUH has so much hype because of his traits, he could be truly elite.
He's not using them yet for max impact but there's flashes.
He's had bursts which show what he's capable of if he puts on size, gets AFL fitness and continues to develop.

McDonald has actually done similar, but the method (i.e.the traits) aren't as highly valued, in my view because they can be countered or shut down more easily.
Might be like a Roughead/Franklin comparison. Both great fwds but one with physical traits that are harder to counter.

Just throwing a name out there - Caleb Daniel. Would he come to Freo? Surely cant be happy rn with the Dogs.

History shows MSD selections usually last more than the 2-3 months after the MSD. I’d see another KPD on our list for next season as a waste of a list spot for 2025 tbh. I also don’t think selecting someone knowing they’ll only play for us for 2-3 months is overly fair on the player.
Players can nominate their contract conditions including length can't they? Sounds more than fair.

You need a specific role for Daniel because he can't defend. Doesn't seem like a JL type (to target).

I'm sure we'd use him if we had him but I doubt we'd chase him, especially at his age.

I'd back the likes of Banfield to tag Daniel out of the game if he wasn't playing loose in defense, any role up the ground where his objectively good kick will be more damaging will get shut down and he will need to be able to outrun his opponent.... and I'm not sure he's all that quick.

But he is a great user

Players can nominate their contract conditions including length can't they? Sounds more than fair.
Yes, but pretty much every player that nominates just 2024 would hope there is a likelihood that if they're drafted and play well they'll be on a list for 2025.

I was pretty much suggesting it'd be unfair to draft a guy with no intention of re-signing him even if he does okay.

Unless we could find a recent retiree who's willing to strap on the boots for a few months I doubt any player would be up for that tbh. Then you've got to ask whether they are going to be better than Davies and/or Draper anyway.

Lets accept at the very least, Freo is throwing everything at McDonald and they clearly clearly want him. What do you think is the plan for Freo next year with all of Treacy, McDonald, Amiss, Darcy and Jackson?

If the answer is Jackson on ball more, do we still think Jackson plays his best footy as a mid? I cant help but think a lot of the benefit of Jackson onball is being absurdly more athletic than the ruck so just dominates them once the ball hits the ground and around the ground. Do we get this benefit if he's on ball?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets accept at the very least, Freo is throwing everything at McDonald and they clearly clearly want him. What do you think is the plan for Freo next year with all of Treacy, McDonald, Amiss, Darcy and Jackson?

If the answer is Jackson on ball more, do we still think Jackson plays his best footy as a mid? I cant help but think a lot of the benefit of Jackson onball is being absurdly more athletic than the ruck so just dominates them once the ball hits the ground and around the ground. Do we get this benefit if he's on ball?
He will be absurdly taller than most mids.

Hypothetical situation, but if McDonald did end up at Freo then Treacy would be forced out of the forward line if all players were available.

Jackson could play as a mid however he needs to get forward as he causes so much anxiety for the opposition with his speed, height and agility close to goal.

Darcy needs to show plenty to make the mix work better than it did on the weekend.

All in all tough decisions for the selectors if McDonald lands at Freo.

Hypothetical situation, but if McDonald did end up at Freo then Treacy would be forced out of the forward line if all players were available.

Jackson could play as a mid however he needs to get forward as he causes so much anxiety for the opposition with his speed, height and agility close to goal.

Darcy needs to show plenty to make the mix work better than it did on the weekend.

All in all tough decisions for the selectors if McDonald lands at Freo.
I firmly believe the list team always have a long term plan in mind, I think it has resulted in some of the questionable decisions we've seen the last few years because they are almost too long term thinking. I would be very interested to know what the actual plan is with McDonald...

I think a big part of Jackson being a force is the unpredictability he brings. Taking him out of the forward rotation reduces that.

Also, I'm not convinced Darcy rucking and Jackson playing midfield improves us. I'd be a fan for a couple of centre bounces, but I think we already have our midfield humming, plus we're still transitioning Johnson and Erasmus into the engine room.

Do you have mail? This sounds like a cryptic comment laying the groundwork for a potential Darcy trade.

I have to confess his game against Bris was the first ever time I’ve thought Jackson could genuinely be a full time ruck. I’d prefer to keep Darcy though.

If everyone’s fit perhaps it looks like this:
L McDonald replaces Cox.
Cox then replaces Hughes.
Darcy replaces O McDonald.

Do you have mail? This sounds like a cryptic comment laying the groundwork for a potential Darcy trade.

I have to confess his game against Bris was the first ever time I’ve thought Jackson could genuinely be a full time ruck. I’d prefer to keep Darcy though.

L McDonald replaces Cox.
Darcy is great and needs to be respected for staying with us - would love to give him a GF

L McDonald replaces Cox.
I have legitimately no mail, I have not been as steadfast on others that Jackson isnt actually best just playing ruck. I am happy for Jackson to keep playing the unicorn role anyway because he's awesome and a point of difference. I would like to know the plan for chasing McDonald is because I feel the only things that make relative sense is
A) Pushing Treacy out
B) Playing Jackson almost exclusively on ball in some way.

Treacy is off to a good start getting to 30 goals, if he gets there, it raises even more questions

The answer is we are stupid, and it is a bad long term decision.

I assume Treacy will be pushed out of the 22.

I know it doesn't happen like this, but I really think we need to wait and see on both Treacy and McDonald. I am really concerned we are going to overspend for a minor upgrade because we have to plan way before we have all the information.

The Chad is who we should throw the sink at anyway.

Chad, Zurhaar and 3 first round picks this year.

Back