Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think that is a waste if gambling is your thing.

Realistically we'd be hoping to come out of our first 5 games at 4-1, biggest challenge being Adelaide in Adelaide

Round 6 will be a real indicator I think. Even if we don't win, if we acquit ourselves well against the Lions at the Gabba we'll be in it up to our eyeballs I recon.
I got a decent feeling about Adelaide round 2, and I actually rate the Crows.

The hype they're under right now in a two team town is pretty extraordinary, and it was similar last year and they started 0-2. That type of pressure is pretty unique.

One to the Giants who wouldn't hit their stride for another three months, and the other to the hapless Tigers.

We'll be a bit under the radar even if we beat the Saints up a bit. More of a return to the norm in terms of media coverage and hype prior to 2023.

It would be classic Cats. Under the radar going interstate, and just getting the job done.

• Talking about tomorrow's game he said we have a full list playing except for Rohan, Mitch Edwards and Furphy and those 3 it's a management thing. Rohan has a back issue but is in the mix for round 1 and is full training. Edwards just managing his load and Furphy a bit of a footy issue but back to training though.
  • Thinks Neale can play with Hawkins and Cameron, has the ability to play further up the ground like Cameron.
  • Most of the talk is about the new guys and if any of them will play early like Cos or Mannagh but Mackie said it's a wait and see on the practice games.
  • You might see a mix of players at all stages of the 8 qtrs tomorrow due to the heat.

• Contract talk:
  • On Holmes, ongoing dialog and Mackie is comfortable where the talks sit.
  • Henry just wants to get his body right and play some footy first (That's Jack)
  • Stengle is the same, wants to play some footy first but discussion ongoing

• Talking about tomorrow's game he said we have a full list playing except for Rohan, Mitch Edwards and Furphy and those 3 it's a management thing. Rohan has a back issue but is in the mix for round 1 and is full training. Edwards just managing his load and Furphy a bit of a footy issue but back to training though.
  • Thinks Neale can play with Hawkins and Cameron, has the ability to play further up the ground like Cameron.
  • Most of the talk is about the new guys and if any of them will play early like Cos or Mannagh but Mackie said it's a wait and see on the practice games.
  • You might see a mix of players at all stages of the 8 qtrs tomorrow due to the heat.

• Contract talk:
  • On Holmes, ongoing dialog and Mackie is comfortable where the talks sit.
  • Henry just wants to get his body right and play some footy first (That's Jack)
  • Stengle is the same, wants to play some footy first but discussion ongoing
That is pretty exciting if bolded true, assuming he can actually do that then we'll have the ability to structure up with 3/4 of any of Hawk, Rohan, O.Henry, Cameron, Neale. Plenty of opportunity to try things, test/stretch different opposition defences in different ways, and make sure everyone is fresh, hopefully no-one is in a situation where they have to play anything less than cherry ripe.

I got a decent feeling about Adelaide round 2, and I actually rate the Crows.

The hype they're under right now in a two team town is pretty extraordinary, and it was similar last year and they started 0-2. That type of pressure is pretty unique.

One to the Giants who wouldn't hit their stride for another three months, and the other to the hapless Tigers.

We'll be a bit under the radar even if we beat the Saints up a bit. More of a return to the norm in terms of media coverage and hype prior to 2023.

It would be classic Cats. Under the radar going interstate, and just getting the job done.
Yeah surely Brisbane is the bigger danger than the crows, which I don't mean to disrespect the crows in saying either.

Sounds like we'll get a good look at basically the whole squad. I assume if you're running around with the VFL lads in the last couple of quarters you're probably not getting a game round 1.

But talk of holding back some mature agers to play more fringe guys in the early quarters suggests maybe the coaching staff are as undecided on our best 22 as our fans are

They usually stagger the players in pre season games a bit. Like some players will play quarters 3-6 instead of 1-4 or 5-8.

Better off seeing fringe guys that might be able to play a part like Neale, Mullin, COS etc play with the senior team and see how they go than just run out in a glorified VFL practice match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like we'll get a good look at basically the whole squad. I assume if you're running around with the VFL lads in the last couple of quarters you're probably not getting a game round 1.

But talk of holding back some mature agers to play more fringe guys in the early quarters suggests maybe the coaching staff are as undecided on our best 22 as our fans are
Agree

Hard to tell for sure of course due to the heat. I think for most over 30 yo are going to play 3 quarters. With a bunch missing q1 and others missing q4

And apparently expecting massive winds.

not sure we are going to be able to judge skillsets tomorrow! Just endurance…
Yeah the wind actually is a bit more of an issue for me. Wind is rarely a factor in games anymore at the grounds they play at.

Anyone else having issues buying tickets for round 1 today? Website didn’t even give me the option just said sale happening.

So I am now hearing 10 on the bench for the first game! 😮. But won’t be rotating 10 in a qtr so 2-4 will sit out for full qtr

could be a bit of a mess in terms of cohesion etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back