Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Denver. Having him become a consistent competent KPD (who can swing forward) would do so much for our structure, give Sicily freedom to play offensively (like the first Saints game in 23) and take a lot of pressure off Blanck.

There's not just a spot for him, there's an entire career if he wants to seize it.q

Was Denver training with the Forwards I wonder.

Oh totally agree, just I had hoped Gowers brought some integrity to our team. I guess it is still a work in progress.

Sadly a few idiots impact the whole group, so hoping we’re weeding those ones out ASAP.
I'm actually a member of that page and Marty who you refer to practically takes the Mickey as if he was having a few beers with his mates watching footy. Wouldn't take it serious because the ones who post with integrity generally ignore his postings. Guy looks like he's not the full quid either or not too bright.

It could also be that Ginni was having a bad day, or was reacting to provocation by some local hero, if it happened, that is. People occasionally act out of character. Happy to trust your mate on this if he knows him well, and looking forward to our man Ginni make the haters boo for a long time to come!

Exactly right. Not only that but perhaps personality tweaks depending on friendship group he is around also.

Well he lives with a former collingwood player who is close enough with ginnivan that they are occasionally in the same social circles. So make of that whatever you want!

If Weddle, DGB and Day all take ‘next steps’ we’d also improve big time.

Who would have the biggest ‘next step’ impact? Interesting to hear others thoughts?
I always think in terms of unforeseen growth driving rapid improvement. I hoped it was Jeka that would have made a huge difference if he came on. Now this year I think it’s DGB and Butler. I’m not worried about Day weddle Ward CMac mackenzie they will all develop and be good players maybe 1-2 even very good to elite. DGB and Butler have spots open for them to take and we need what they bring more defensively than anything else.

Well, this is the part where I would usually say something like, "Headed down to Waverley on a cool and overcast morning..."

However, I'm not going to say that because this post is to officially announce my retirement from preseason training. Back in January, we packed up and left Melbourne for good to relocate to my wife's hometown in the Riverina area of NSW. Yep, The_Axeman is now a country boy. I really should be changing my forum name to The_Chainsaw_Man because of the amount of time I now spend cutting wood for the heater... but I digress.

It was time for me to put away the training notepad/keyboard as 12 preseasons have taken a toll on the body. I'm in my late 40's and I just don't recover after each session as quickly as I used to. Over the last couple of preeasons there have been more and more watchers bringing high quality reports after each season. Are they as entertaining, thorough and well written as mine? Obviously not, don't be ridiculous, but they seem to temporarily quench the almost insatiable appetite for any morsel of training related info the rowdy mob here can get their hands on.

I must admit, I did contemplate continuing to write training reports after each session, completely made up, just to mess with all of you but I just can't be stuffed. I could go down and watch training at the local club here in my new hometown, then report back here but it just won't be the same. All the players will have names like 'Knackers', 'Wazza', 'Schmitty', 'Boofhead' etc. and they all have the same farm boy mullets. it will just get too difficult to tell who's who.

Anyway, I started doing this in late 2011 and haven't missed a preseason since. I've had a blast doing it and hopefully brought some joy and humour to your otherwise wretched, miserable lives. I've met some good people along the way and I will miss the camaraderie on those mornings down at Waverley. I like to think that I had a massive influence on the threepeat era, just by being there. My hope is that I may get to a session or two when I come down for work purposes in which case I will be sure to report back.

I also really want to thank my employer who, unbeknownst to them, allowed me to do this for 2 or 3 months of every year since 2011.

The_Axeman out.

I must admit, I did contemplate continuing to write training reports after each session, completely made up, just to mess with all of you but I just can't be stuffed.
I'd happily read your reports from the threepeat era with the names swapped out for current ones. You wouldn't even need to change Gunston and Breust!

Thanks for your contributions over the years. I think I speak for everyone when I say your posts made signing on here during pre-season months worth it.

Well, this is the part where I would usually say something like, "Headed down to Waverley on a cool and overcast morning..."

However, I'm not going to say that because this post is to officially announce my retirement from preseason training. Back in January, we packed up and left Melbourne for good to relocate to my wife's hometown in the Riverina area of NSW. Yep, The_Axeman is now a country boy. I really should be changing my forum name to The_Chainsaw_Man because of the amount of time I now spend cutting wood for the heater... but I digress.

It was time for me to put away the training notepad/keyboard as 12 preseasons have taken a toll on the body. I'm in my late 40's and I just don't recover after each session as quickly as I used to. Over the last couple of preeasons there have been more and more watchers bringing high quality reports after each season. Are they as entertaining, thorough and well written as mine? Obviously not, don't be ridiculous, but they seem to temporarily quench the almost insatiable appetite for any morsel of training related info the rowdy mob here can get their hands on.

I must admit, I did contemplate continuing to write training reports after each session, completely made up, just to mess with all of you but I just can't be stuffed. I could go down and watch training at the local club here in my new hometown, then report back here but it just won't be the same. All the players will have names like 'Knackers', 'Wazza', 'Schmitty', 'Boofhead' etc. and they all have the same farm boy mullets. it will just get too difficult to tell who's who.

Anyway, I started doing this in late 2011 and haven't missed a preseason since. I've had a blast doing it and hopefully brought some joy and humour to your otherwise wretched, miserable lives. I've met some good people along the way and I will miss the camaraderie on those mornings down at Waverley. I like to think that I had a massive influence on the threepeat era, just by being there. My hope is that I may get to a session or two when I come down for work purposes in which case I will be sure to report back.

I also really want to thank my employer who, unbeknownst to them, allowed me to do this for 2 or 3 months of every year since 2011.

The_Axeman out.

You have been loved and appreciated thanks to your work in the warmer months. Enjoy the country life and thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The_Axeman out.
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I've kept an open mind open Ginnivan since we recruited but heard some pretty disturbing news about him since coming across.. Cut a long story short, Jack was actually like an real dic with a mate down Torquay way and not impressing the locals at the time. Can't confirm if he was drunk or not but was acting like an absolute flog (won't go into further details)

If it looks like a d...head, walks like a d...head, talks like a d...head than he probably is....

I'm trying to keep an open mind but if he puts even one foot wrong (even if it's as simple as public intoxication - let alone something more extreme) I want him 86'd from the club Dale Garlett style

The_Axeman out.
Star Wars No GIF

Thanks for all the updates over the years! Enjoy the country life!

The_Axeman out.
One of the goats

Thanks for everything, Axe!
Very happy to have gotten to read your posts for the last few years and wish you the best in your next journey!

The_Axeman out.

Thank you very much. Always a massive whack of dopamine reading the training reports - enjoy the country

The_Axeman out.

Thanks for all your great work over the Years if this forum had a Hall of Fame selection for posters that have contributed the most insightful posts your name would be one of the first in there thanks again for all your work.

The_Axeman out.

Damm you Dan Andrews!!!

The_Axeman out.

Looks like I won’t be back on bigfooty until March…

But seriously, thanks for all your contributions, Axeman. So very appreciated by so many that you will never even know!

The_Axeman out.
Thanks for your awesome effort over the years. It is indeed an end of an era.
Thanks Axe. Missing your reports already.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawthorn Bigfooty legend. Thanks for breaking up the tedium of work with your hot-off-the-press training snippets, especially over the recent, more trying years for us Hawthorn supporters. Ya gave us hope. All the best acclimatising to the green change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back