Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s okay
Gerard Whiteley will no doubt back them up much like he did for Selwoods whole career

He wouldn’t change his tune now would be?
Whateley's a flog who's incapable of disguising his bias towards Geelong.

I know Robbo isn't given much credit on this forum but I find him infinitely more objective about Essendon, compared to Whateley's blatant Cats bias.

Well, this is the part where I would usually say something like, "Headed down to Waverley on a cool and overcast morning..."

However, I'm not going to say that because this post is to officially announce my retirement from preseason training. Back in January, we packed up and left Melbourne for good to relocate to my wife's hometown in the Riverina area of NSW. Yep, The_Axeman is now a country boy. I really should be changing my forum name to The_Chainsaw_Man because of the amount of time I now spend cutting wood for the heater... but I digress.

It was time for me to put away the training notepad/keyboard as 12 preseasons have taken a toll on the body. I'm in my late 40's and I just don't recover after each session as quickly as I used to. Over the last couple of preeasons there have been more and more watchers bringing high quality reports after each season. Are they as entertaining, thorough and well written as mine? Obviously not, don't be ridiculous, but they seem to temporarily quench the almost insatiable appetite for any morsel of training related info the rowdy mob here can get their hands on.

I must admit, I did contemplate continuing to write training reports after each session, completely made up, just to mess with all of you but I just can't be stuffed. I could go down and watch training at the local club here in my new hometown, then report back here but it just won't be the same. All the players will have names like 'Knackers', 'Wazza', 'Schmitty', 'Boofhead' etc. and they all have the same farm boy mullets. it will just get too difficult to tell who's who.

Anyway, I started doing this in late 2011 and haven't missed a preseason since. I've had a blast doing it and hopefully brought some joy and humour to your otherwise wretched, miserable lives. I've met some good people along the way and I will miss the camaraderie on those mornings down at Waverley. I like to think that I had a massive influence on the threepeat era, just by being there. My hope is that I may get to a session or two when I come down for work purposes in which case I will be sure to report back.

I also really want to thank my employer who, unbeknownst to them, allowed me to do this for 2 or 3 months of every year since 2011.

The_Axeman out.
Thanks for all your dedication Axeman over the years. Pre season will not be the same with out you! Hopefully you may sneak one or two in for us. All the Best 🧡🤎

You might be happy with a cocaine scandal, but not me not I :p

It wasn’t cocaine it was ketamine. You also just posted that if he was drunk in public he should be sacked and compared him to Garlett who had deeper problems than Ginnivan ever has - it was a bafflingly overzealous statement. People talk about Ginnivan as if he’s committed multiple serious crimes, it’s demented.

It wasn’t cocaine it was ketamine. You also just posted that if he was drunk in public he should be sacked and compared him to Garlett who had deeper problems than Ginnivan ever has - it was a bafflingly overzealous statement. People talk about Ginnivan as if he’s committed multiple serious crimes, it’s demented.

I just don't like players doing anything wrong (god forbid if I hear about one jaywalking :p).

If Weddle, DGB and Day all take ‘next steps’ we’d also improve big time.

Who would have the biggest ‘next step’ impact? Interesting to hear others thoughts?
I reckon HH could turn out to be rather special. Has Pendles-like clean, unhurried hands in traffic and has already shown he can take a grab and hit the scoreboard while resting up front. Lack of leg speed is probably his weak point but that hasn't hampered Pendles much, has it? Speed of thought is a vastly underrated trait.

I know he's probably not best 23 at the moment but if he does become a regular in 2024, he'll add another dimension to our game.

Defensive small forward. The Wiz and Ginni aren't. Bodies to fast track to back pocket
Just what Number23 said. We have small forwards but we don’t have defensive small forwards. Dimma can be a defensive small forward as well offensive. He can mark and kick the ball, but above all he can tackle ….HARD! I just LOVE the move. I hope it becomes permanent.

Makes the drafting of Ryan even more relevant as well as hopefully Mitchell consistently becoming better.

Read my post - this happened after we brought him across, not 12 months ago. Collingwood couldn't get him out of the club quick enough for a reason yet the penny doesnt seem to have dropped just yet
Yet they keep people like De Goey, maybe his trade had nothing to do with his character.

Just what Number23 said. We have small forwards but we don’t have defensive small forwards. Dimma can be a defensive small forward as well offensive. He can mark and kick the ball, but above all he can tackle ….HARD! I just LOVE the move. I hope it becomes permanent.

Makes the drafting of Ryan even more relevant as well as hopefully Mitchell consistently becoming better.
I reckon he lacks the pace to be a Defensive Small Forward. It's likely why he ended up a Back Pocket in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, this is the part where I would usually say something like, "Headed down to Waverley on a cool and overcast morning..."

However, I'm not going to say that because this post is to officially announce my retirement from preseason training. Back in January, we packed up and left Melbourne for good to relocate to my wife's hometown in the Riverina area of NSW. Yep, The_Axeman is now a country boy. I really should be changing my forum name to The_Chainsaw_Man because of the amount of time I now spend cutting wood for the heater... but I digress.

It was time for me to put away the training notepad/keyboard as 12 preseasons have taken a toll on the body. I'm in my late 40's and I just don't recover after each session as quickly as I used to. Over the last couple of preeasons there have been more and more watchers bringing high quality reports after each season. Are they as entertaining, thorough and well written as mine? Obviously not, don't be ridiculous, but they seem to temporarily quench the almost insatiable appetite for any morsel of training related info the rowdy mob here can get their hands on.

I must admit, I did contemplate continuing to write training reports after each session, completely made up, just to mess with all of you but I just can't be stuffed. I could go down and watch training at the local club here in my new hometown, then report back here but it just won't be the same. All the players will have names like 'Knackers', 'Wazza', 'Schmitty', 'Boofhead' etc. and they all have the same farm boy mullets. it will just get too difficult to tell who's who.

Anyway, I started doing this in late 2011 and haven't missed a preseason since. I've had a blast doing it and hopefully brought some joy and humour to your otherwise wretched, miserable lives. I've met some good people along the way and I will miss the camaraderie on those mornings down at Waverley. I like to think that I had a massive influence on the threepeat era, just by being there. My hope is that I may get to a session or two when I come down for work purposes in which case I will be sure to report back.

I also really want to thank my employer who, unbeknownst to them, allowed me to do this for 2 or 3 months of every year since 2011.

The_Axeman out.

8d126269cd6894ae71a0352c877c65a6.jpg

I still don’t see what ginni did pre GF wrong. Went to races to see his or friends horse and left 8.30pm. Each person prepares different. He could’ve burnt all his energy playing the game over in his head.

The drug issue is a bit more serious but I’m happy to cut him some slack unless he snorts again. Then once bitten twice shy

The_Axeman out.
Thanks for your solid contribution The_Axeman. I've looked forward and thoroughly enjoyed your reports over the years. .

Your training reports read like a well written novel, its emotive and it draws you in. It's quite a talent and it's going be sorely missed around here. .

Best of luck in your move to the country👍

I still don’t see what ginni did pre GF wrong. Went to races to see his or friends horse and left 8.30pm. Each person prepares different. He could’ve burnt all his energy playing the game over in his head.

The drug issue is a bit more serious but I’m happy to cut him some slack unless he snorts again. Then once bitten twice shy
I don't think Sam Mitchell would care too much, too many old heads in the media that expect players to follow x guidelines.

The_Axeman out.
Thankyou man.
Enjoyed your pre-season posts immensely. Take care.

He also had asked permission to go to the races by the CEO - he was just a bit absent minded and didn’t run it by the coach.

The_Axeman out.
Enjoy the country mate, I’m sure you’ve already realised how us country folk have the better of things, just don’t let the city folk know, keep ‘em in the dark! ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back