Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be worth just throwing DGB in as a key defender for an extended run and see what happens - honestly think we’ve been too quick to pull the pin on him at times…

Our midfield was getting smashed back when he was played as a defender - not many players would stand a chance… we need to be prepared to ride the bumps a bit with it though - he might concede some goals until he finds his confidence…

As Rob McCartney pointed out a month or so ago, the club is invested in getting CJ’s body fit and firing for 2024, and will be sending him overseas to do specific training.

Love the long term commitment to CJ by the club, a bit worried about the seriousness if they’ve had to seek answers outside of the country. Hopefully we get the answers we are looking for and CJ can bounce back to his brilliant best. Would hate to never see his potential.

Helps if you actually follow UFC. Personally, nothing to do with getting old. But, get your point.
Even most casual UFC fans would only remember him from when he got knocked out. 90% of his fights were in Bellator where he went undefeated, sadly by the time he got to the UFC his body broke down through injuries, he was advised to get a hip replacement, which he still had two more fights before taking that advice.
Dana refused to sign him in his Prime because his fight style was considered boring.
At his peak was considered the best wrestler in MMA, and one of the best wrestlers in his weight class on the planet.
His nick name is Funky, so I do wonder if Funky got to mix it up on the mat with Punky.

My take on DGB is that he needs license to go for it. I think he has gone into his shell to minimise errors at the expense of taking the risk to get the ball. He needs to be able to fail to succeed.

Problem with Denver is his best position is currently occupied by one of the greatest to do it in modern footy.

I said almost 30 which is pretty accurate given he’s 29 in a couple of weeks.

Point remains, we should be finding DGB’s best position for him, even if it’s a similar role to Sicily. You never know what might happen, injuries, another ACL god forbid, etc. At the very least, DGB’s best footy will surely come from the role he’s most naturally suited to.

With that comment … You SIR … need to knock on some serious wood! I’ll give you a little psychedelic help! 😅

Last edited:
Problem with Denver is his best position is currently occupied by one of the greatest to do it in modern footy.
Nah i don't buy that, his problems are his tank, size, consistency.

He has not shown to be significantly above VFL level consistently. A lot of excuses for why he has not cemented a spot in the 22, in reality he just isn't good enough for a multitude of reasons. Now he is still young and that can change but Sicily is not the reason he is struggling to get a game.

I know this isn’t the DGB thread, but two questions..

Is it fact he has a “tank” problem or just an urban myth that has grown here?
How did he do in the Yo Yo?
It is a fact and a source of frustration and annoyance for some people at the club. No idea on Yo-yo, but his in-game tank has been lamentable.

The careers of Rance and Weitering are as relevant to DGB as the careers of the dozens of others who showed little in 3 years and just ended up on the scrap heap. He needs to improve significantly in a number of areas. That’s his challenge, especially as the side he will aiming to break into should only be getting stronger. That he’s being thrown from end to end betrays the coaches aren’t quite sure what to do to get the best contribution from him.

If Kepperleauge is still floating around can you please ask the club for ongoing pre season media updates, drives me mad how backwards afl clubs and Australia is with fan engagement.

The Jai video is great but in a world where I follow hawks 24/7 feels like they are a part time team for fans.

Surely it wouldn’t be hard to put some full time commitment behind engaging with fans and there’s more then enough examples across world sport of what works.

Why was Scrimshaw (by his own admission) unfit last year? Didn't have a standout 2022 but played 20 games, so why did he come back in bad shape in 2023 and not work hard to come back in sharp nick to attack a pre-season?

Am I being too harsh on Scrim?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why was Scrimshaw (by his own admission) unfit last year? Didn't have a standout 2022 but played 20 games, so why did he come back in bad shape in 2023 and not work hard to come back in sharp nick to attack a pre-season?

Sometimes players just get complacent and need a reality check to get their s**t together

Pretty sure Scrimmers had heel/foot issues last year which affected his pre season.

He wasn’t bad in 2022. Not as good as his 2021 year but I think he still cracked a top ten finish in the B&F?

GWS’s Sam Taylor is out of contract and a RFA at the end of 2025. IF we have a measured (read front-ended) salary position then we could out bid GWS and every other team for his services at a time the Hawks are truely ready to start the next period of dominance. Again this likely relates to GWS’s success or lack there of.
I'm telling you, if we get Sam Taylor. Another dynasty is incoming...

Bailey MacDonald has matured a bit, he looks bigger around the shoulders, ran a pb and looks to have put on muscle in the gym, doing all the right things off field and has a few tricks on field (speed, run and carry, good kick at speed) i think theres a good chance he takes a significant step forward this year, just on viewing some pre-season footage... whether at Box Hill or Hawthorn? not sure how much he develops, but signs are good for him imo

Love the long term commitment to CJ by the club, a bit worried about the seriousness if they’ve had to seek answers outside of the country. Hopefully we get the answers we are looking for and CJ can bounce back to his brilliant best. Would hate to never see his potential.
He will most likely be going to Aspetar. They have dealt with some world famous footballers and this could probably be a "double check if everything is on track" trip.

Edit - Just read the original article. He is indeed going to Aspetar.

Bailey MacDonald has matured a bit, he looks bigger around the shoulders, ran a pb and looks to have put on muscle in the gym, doing all the right things off field and has a few tricks on field (speed, run and carry, good kick at speed) i think theres a good chance he takes a significant step forward this year, just on viewing some pre-season footage... whether at Box Hill or Hawthorn? not sure how much he develops, but signs are good for him imo
If I remember correctly, he didn’t fully focus on footy until his draft year (also played cricket) so not surprising if he is making some rapid progress. And we also traded up to grab him, so we have always had high hopes for him?

People over thinking and complicating DGB .
Top KP pick who was skinny and even reports then had poor endurance .
Those type of players rarely get going until year 4-5 .
Add in needing weight on while also improving endurance , repeat running in an elite sport .
Been mentioned before but only a genetic outlier can manage that , so was always going to be a long burn for him.

Dont get me wrong its a huge year for him but given the above it should really be no suprise he is as of yet not an established AFL player.

Might be worth just throwing DGB in as a key defender for an extended run and see what happens - honestly think we’ve been too quick to pull the pin on him at times…

Our midfield was getting smashed back when he was played as a defender - not many players would stand a chance… we need to be prepared to ride the bumps a bit with it though - he might concede some goals until he finds his confidence…
I saw him play a huge game against Carlton last year when he was deep down back back at my end of the ground. He filled me with confidence that day that he can make it big time. He looked confident and assured but hasn't taken the next step as I expected for some reason disappointingly . Hopefully this year he does because he has some serious talent in an area of need for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back