Injury 2024 Season Geelong Cats Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Such an awful injury. If it takes three months to have real confidence he'll be OK, just do it. Can't be really competitive in September without him, for mine.. But I do think we could get ourselves well on the way there without risking him unduly and 'early', I believe.

What would happen if a club only had 20 fit players to select for any given game day?

I think WCE were pushing the limit for a while last year with just filling a team… but I wasn’t paying much attention to what would happen if a team couldn’t because whilst we were destroyed by injuries, we were not at West Coasts level and could still fill a side no stress.

I think WCE were up over 2000 games missed in experience at time during the year… which is just massive and I’d guess the highest total ever.

We were maybe second to them during the year at around 1400 at times I think.

Anyway did the AFL say WCE could fill with WAFL players if needed?

Such an awful injury. If it takes three months to have real confidence he'll be OK, just do it. Can't be really competitive in September without him, for mine.. But I do think we could get ourselves well on the way there without risking him unduly and 'early', I believe.
Upside is a bit more solid midfield time for some of those ‘next gen’ guys to see whether they can step up.

Upside is a bit more solid midfield time for some of those ‘next gen’ guys to see whether they can step up.

Its bad for guthrie but it gives clark at least the first 6-8 games and i think he wont look back.

What would happen if a club only had 20 fit players to select for any given game day?

I think WCE were pushing the limit for a while last year with just filling a team… but I wasn’t paying much attention to what would happen if a team couldn’t because whilst we were destroyed by injuries, we were not at West Coasts level and could still fill a side no stress.

I think WCE were up over 2000 games missed in experience at time during the year… which is just massive and I’d guess the highest total ever.

We were maybe second to them during the year at around 1400 at times I think.

Anyway did the AFL say WCE could fill with WAFL players if needed?

It would be the same as COVID. They would let them pick state league players temporarily.

Gary Rohan to miss first month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ollie Henry.. Dempsey and Neale all paying attention to this .

Go Catters

And mannagh. I think either dempsey or mannagh (possibly both) will grab the spot and not look back.

AFL orders clubs to stop ‘ridiculous’ tactic in 2024 season​

Clubs have already changed after coming under fire for ‘treating fans like fools’.

The AFL has officially ordered clubs to end the ‘ridiculous’ tactic of labelling injuries as ‘short, medium or long term’, with expected return dates now required for the 2024 season.

Geelong, Richmond and Essendon were among those to come under fire from fans and broadcasters for the strategy.

But all clubs must now share its plans for matchday and mid-week injury updates with the AFL as the league enforces the swift and detailed release of information.
Read more here:
AFL orders clubs to stop ‘ridiculous’ tactic

Let's talk spin and tactics re betting cryptic with injuries...

"Jack Bowes was unavailable for Round 1 selection due to a calf complaint, with the club to have a better idea of his availability moving forward next week."

Similar to the Guthrie report how they would know more next week was what we hear about it..

What are they playing at here? And also does that worry people that Bowes might be worse than just a niggle?

They have elite medical staff, physios etc.. Access to scans and technology at the drop of a hat, there is no chance if he did something say Monday at training (when people spotted him away from the group) that they have gotten to Thursday without having a scan..
So is this just a new way of them delaying/being vague/playing funny buggers?

Or as someone long frustrated by their approach in this area am I just putting 2 and 2 together and it equalling potato?

"Jack Bowes was unavailable for Round 1 selection due to a calf complaint, with the club to have a better idea of his availability moving forward next week."

Similar to the Guthrie report how they would know more next week was what we hear about it..

What are they playing at here? And also does that worry people that Bowes might be worse than just a niggle?

They have elite medical staff, physios etc.. Access to scans and technology at the drop of a hat, there is no chance if he did something say Monday at training (when people spotted him away from the group) that they have gotten to Thursday without having a scan..

Or as someone long frustrated by their approach in this area am I just putting 2 and 2 together and it equalling potato?

Grandpa once taught me about leopards and spots.......

There we go. They CAN do it!

Continue to be vague, unclear and withhold information even after the AFL's sacred new reporting laws came in.

I'm glad you're calling this out rather than pretending to be satisfied because the club gave 3 week window return dates on two senior players.

Unsurprised by the continued nonsense from the club on the injury front, as evidenced by the 'update' on Bowes. Pathetically predictable doesn't even begin to describe it, really.

Far more disturbed, though, that Jack just doesn't seem to be able to get his body right for football. I believe having both Guth and him missing from our worryingly thin midfield group as we start the season is genuinely concerning.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back