2nds 2024 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We keep doing this weird drafting of multiple types all at once - making it really hard for them all to develop in the VFL with limited role opportunities. And even if they do make it then they retire at approx the same time. Its poor list management IMO

Lane and HSmith together. Morris and Lane this year.

Yeah, it's a little odd. Perhaps it's playing the odds on a position we have an acknoledged hole. Rayner and Bailey probably another example.

BTW, I'm assuming you mean Lloyd.

It's been a while now, but I have a recollection that someone commented on it at the draft night last year and the explanation after drafting Morris and Lloyd was that if you have identified a gap the better bet is to have more lottery tickets to fill it if you rate what's available.

No one followed up about the potential logjam in the reserves for playing time, but it's probably less of an issue for forwards (or anyone else on the field) than it is for rucks anyway.

It's been a while now, but I have a recollection that someone commented on it at the draft night last year and the explanation after drafting Morris and Lloyd was that if you have identified a gap the better bet is to have more lottery tickets to fill it if you rate what's available.

No one followed up about the potential logjam in the reserves for playing time, but it's probably less of an issue for forwards (or anyone else on the field) than it is for rucks anyway.
Except when we have Fort, HSmith and Lane in the team at least some of that time ends up in the forward line. Was worse when we have ASmith and Buzza in the team as well. We seem to alternate between all talls and zero

In a vacuum, I feel like a 22 ideally has two KPFs, one pure ruck and one hybrid to give the starters a rest and cover in-game injuries. Doubling that for the reserves makes 4/2/2, and I'd perhaps add one more spot for a developing player who isn't expected to play seniors for the year. So a total of 9.

I might be missing someone, but I think we have that rough balance on our list: 5 KPF including at least one who isn't expected to play seniors this year (Daniher, Hipwood, Ryan, Morris, Lloyd), 2 pure rucks (Big O, Lane) and 2 hybrids (Fort, Smith). I know neither Morris or Lloyd are typical KPF size, but they play that role.

The problem is, we don't play with a hybrid at senior level, it's just two KPFs and a ruck. Rayner covers third tall forward and Joe chops out in the ruck. So we may as well think of the list in terms of the hybrid being redundant, and all the above players split into KPF and ruck. That would mean we need at most 4-5 KPFs and 2-3 rucks, 7 overall instead of 9.

I didn't watch the VFL game, but so far as I understand from reading the commentary by everyone in this thread and looking at the stats, Fort was the main ruck, Smith rotated in the ruck and the forward line, and Payne moved forward, perhaps in place of the injured Ryan.

This leaves Lane as the odd man out. If we want to keep our present structure in the seniors and prefer Smith at ruck contests, then there's no real place for Lane. And who knows if Smith would even be getting these opportunities if Ryan was fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zorko has claimed that half back distributor role after last night, but could Reville be an option there? Has taken a big step up this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back