Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald - Roo til end '26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like this stupid soft kid to be honest. but he showed something positive which cannot be descibed in words,
I think he will show more clearly and he gets some triggers to improve his roll and skill like Jacob next season.

Interesting in the sense I genuinely have no idea what that means.

Agree.

I actually also think his "poor" year this year is over blown.

Had some poor games, some average and some good. Just because he's not Bontempelli doesn't mean he's no good.

That's true, and thankfully no one is saying that.

The fact he managed to smack down the elephant in the room when he snared his first goal, finally, should see him go on to greater heights in 2016 and beyond. I have full faith that he'll come on in leaps and bounds in time. Still early days for the kid.

So this year he put on 6kgs, had back stress fractures, was told to focus on his defensive game and his form suffered a little bit.

I'd say if he can get a good, injury interrupted preseason into him, where he can run his arse off and develop his tank and strength with that extra 6kg in mind then he will be much better off in 2016. Pretty happy with where he is at.

You're on the right track with Luke, roos_fanatic08. He had a disappointing year and lost his spot. That's reality.

Some people want to criticise you for being "negative" without actually reading what you posted. He had a an excellent first year and an ordinary 2nd year and that's pretty much what you posted - as well as hoping he has a better year next year.

Perhaps you should have posted that he was "great" in year one and "not quite as great" in year two (then listed the reasons/excuses) and everyone would have been happy with your post.
I don't think many people were disagreeing with roos_fanatic08 about him being fairly disappointing this year; that's a pretty obvious fact. But I think most peoples objection came from r_f08's statement that he's done nothing so far to justify a first round pick and that he'll end up as nothing more than a B-grader. I think that's a very harsh, premature assessment after only two years that McDonald has spent on the list, particularly when his first year was very impressive.

I don't think many people were disagreeing with roos_fanatic08 about him being fairly disappointing this year; that's a pretty obvious fact. But I think most peoples objection came from r_f08's statement that he's done nothing so far to justify a first round pick and that he'll end up as nothing more than a B-grader. I think that's a very harsh, premature assessment after only two years that McDonald has spent on the list, particularly when his first year was very impressive.

Your point would be well made if that's what roos_fanatic08 had actually said. But that's ok we all see what we want to see and we all hope he becomes a star, preferably next year.

I didn't really say that, I said that if he doesn't improve his speed and strength then I can't see him becoming anything more than a B-Grader, which to be fair is nothing to be sneezed at as we have hardly any players in the a-grade catergory. I also never said he has done nothing to justify his draft position, I just said he had been disappointing considering how good he was as a junior.

To be clear, I love the way he goes about it, and I think he has huge potential (In fact I think he could become the best player on our list), but he has a long way to go before he reaches that point.

Some people were saying that Cunners was a wasted pick after his second season too..

The second season 'blues' is legit. LMac has enough drive and campaigner in him to make it.

Have some patience.

Your point would be well made if that's what roos_fanatic08 had actually said. But that's ok we all see what we want to see and we all hope he becomes a star, preferably next year.

I didn't really say that, I said that if he doesn't improve his speed and strength then I can't see him becoming anything more than a B-Grader, which to be fair is nothing to be sneezed at as we have hardly any players in the a-grade catergory. I also never said he has done nothing to justify his draft position, I just said he had been disappointing considering how good he was as a junior.

To be clear, I love the way he goes about it, and I think he has huge potential (In fact I think he could become the best player on our list), but he has a long way to go before he reaches that point.
Hmm, the post below is the post I was referring to. You clearly state he has done nothing to justify his draft position. Which I completely disagree with. Sure, he was disappointing this season but his first year was outstanding; rated higher than all but two other players of his draft year.

Perhaps I was a little harsh in saying that you said he would end up as nothing more than a B-grader. You did qualify it by saying that he'll be a B-grader if he doesn't improve; although I see those areas of improvement as natural progression as he becomes more mature and experienced.

Very underwhelming year TBH.

Hasn't done enough to justify his first round selection so far, in my opinion.

I love his courage and intensity I also love how he loves the club, but if he doesn't get quicker, stronger and improve his decision making I can't see him being more than a B-Grader. Harsh for a 2nd year player I know, i just had high hopes for someone who absolutely dominated under age footy.

Hmm, the post below is the post I was referring to. You clearly state he has done nothing to justify his draft position. Which I completely disagree with. Sure, he was disappointing this season but his first year was outstanding; rated higher than all but two other players of his draft year.

Perhaps I was a little harsh in saying that you said he would end up as nothing more than a B-grader. You did qualify it by saying that he'll be a B-grader if he doesn't improve; although I see those areas of improvement as natural progression as he becomes more mature and experienced.

As I said KS, It felt harsg writing it and I think it is a harsh assessment considering his injuries and his first year.

I guess I just expected a little more from him, having seen how he dominated juniors and even how consistent he was in the VFL a few years ago!

Hopefully he can have a big pre-season and start to reach his ceiling next year. I also hope he isn't a slow burn like many of our other young guys who have taken years to reach a good standard of consistency, because I think he is better than that.

"Has done nothing" does not near equal "has not done enough" as just one example though kangaspurs

As pointed out above, it's interesting how people see/read what they want to when the club or player (especially a Bambi like LMac) is criticized even when it is constructive, the kickback in defense is usually more off the mark than the original statement.

Last edited:

"Has done nothing" does not near equal "has not done enough" as just one example though kangaspurs

As pointed out above, it's interesting how people see/read what they want to especially when the club or player (especially a Bambi like LMac) is criticized even when it is constructive, the kickback in defense is usually more off the mark than the original statement.
You're right. I think I just misread the original post. I'd still argue that his output in his first year was enough to justify using our first round selection on him, irrespective of any second year blues.

The other first round picks that we could have taken Luke's draft year
Salem - less games less ave disposals
Freeman - no games
Sheed - Less games Ave 0.8 more disposals a game
Lennon - Less Games less disposals only 0.7 more marks a game, plays as a forward
Cripps - Less games 5.7 more disposals, plays midfield
McCarthy - Less games, only 0.1 more marks as a forward
Jones - Less Games, Less possessions
Lang - Less games, less possessions, plays midfield
Apeness - Less games, less possessions
Dunstan - Less games, aves 1.8 more possessions as a mid
Acres - Less games, less possessions as a mid
Leslie - less games, less possessions

So as a net result of all that where do we get too?

As a first round pick compared to those that came after he sits pretty comfortably with the best performers of that lot.

I stress that this is with those selected after him because there is no way we could have selected anyone that went before him, so for us this is the test of did what we pay sit ok with who we took?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right. I think I just misread the original post. I'd still argue that his output in his first year was enough to justify using our first round selection on him, irrespective of any second year blues.

His first year was more than enough to justify it.

His second year and career averages put him at the higher end of the others we could have taken anyway.

He was worth the first round pick because the bloke is a shinboner from the start.

I stress that this is with those selected after him because there is no way we could have selected anyone that went before him, so for us this is the test of did what we pay sit ok with who we took?

Top post. I still think Luke will be a very good player but is probably 2-3 years away still and a baby in football terms (particularly given his style is about physical impact and intensity rather than pure speed and skill).

But even if you don't think Luke will hit huge heights there is nothing there so far to indicate that it was a bad decision with what we had in front of us at the time.

Top post. I still think Luke will be a very good player but is probably 2-3 years away still and a baby in football terms (particularly given his style is about physical impact and intensity rather than pure speed and skill).

But even if you don't think Luke will hit huge heights there is nothing there so far to indicate that it was a bad decision with what we had in front of us at the time.

Perhaps he'd have shown more in a lesser side while having the ability to hunt the ball.

All those that went before him and have really shined have basically been pushed into the midfield and let run their own games in there.

Perhaps he'd have shown more in a lesser side while having the ability to hunt the ball.

All those that went before him and have really shined have basically been pushed into the midfield and let run their own games in there.

Agree. For all the s**t we give Brad Scott and co at times I think they have clearly learned some lessons from the way they chose / had to develop the last batch of mids (Ziebell, Cunnington, Bastinac) era. They are taking the slow burn approach and building guys over time so that when they hit the core of the team they can consistently perform.

Luke was a good defender last year but I still think he is a mid / utility and that is where he'll play his best footy in a few years.

Luke should be an onballer. Don't like the continued talk of him in defence.

Doesn't have the tank yet though and still needs some size which will hurt that aerobic ability even more until he gets used to it. Doesn't strike me as a super natural runner. He'll naturally float through more and more. Getting a bit more agility down back (ie. Mullet and similar types) will help. Currently it's Atley, a slower McDonald and then not much speed which means it's even more important for LMac to cover ground. Firrito, Hansen, Thompson and Tarrant don't exactly allow you to play too many more slower players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back