2nd Test Australia v West Indies Jan 25-29 1430hrs @ the Gabba

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm in two minds really.
It was right on the borderline of being able to overturn, imo. The evidence was strong that he hit it, but was it conclusive? Snicko alone is never conclusive, other noises can and do happen simultaneously quite regularly. Was there enough with other evidence to overturn?
I guess if you have the technology you have to trust it, yet something like this still comes down to a judgment call. (Yet we don't trust the tech with "umpire's call" on LBW even when that may not be the reason an umpire said not out - but that's a separate rant).
No issue with the decision last night. Three data points out together - bat very close to ball, Hotspot and snicko - combine to make it clearly out, notwithstanding a very fine edge.

On your other point, umpire's call in LBWs should be limited to the predictive element. Where a ball pitches and hits the pad are facts, and it should be called as either in or out.

Still can't believe the bail wasn't dislodged by that incredible ball from Shemar Joseph to Carey. All the focus in the aftermath was on the impact but they neglected to mention what an utterly unplayable delivery it was- completely cut Carey in half and at decent pace too
I'd like to know the increased weight added to stumps & bails in the last 30 years, or even if bails sit in a deeper groove.

Why the * is the Fox coverage talking about the celebration and not the ******* game?

Sinclair's wicket came after their quicks put us in dire straits, and forced us to play some pretty brave, fighting cricket to get the game back on even pegging.

The absolute state of the cricket coverage at the moment.

To be fair part of it is a consequence of having an hour to fill: im certain when I started watching Channel 9 coverage it would start 20 minutes before the first ball, which evolved into 30 minutes. Now it’s an hour which is ridiculous overkill

I'm in two minds really.
It was right on the borderline of being able to overturn, imo. The evidence was strong that he hit it, but was it conclusive? Snicko alone is never conclusive, other noises can and do happen simultaneously quite regularly. Was there enough with other evidence to overturn?
I guess if you have the technology you have to trust it, yet something like this still comes down to a judgment call. (Yet we don't trust the tech with "umpire's call" on LBW even when that may not be the reason an umpire said not out - but that's a separate rant).
There was also the mark on the bat.

No issue with the decision last night. Three data points out together - bat very close to ball, Hotspot and snicko - combine to make it clearly out, notwithstanding a very fine edge.

On your other point, umpire's call in LBWs should be limited to the predictive element. Where a ball pitches and hits the pad are facts, and it should be called as either in or out.

100% the umpires call on pitching is farcical. It’s either in line or it’s not which one is it. The stumps prediction is fine and umpires call on the prediction is 100% fine

Interesting match.

Windies have more than held their own - they have landed some decent shots - proper body shots. Can they snap the neck back and rattle the jaw? Time will tell.

During the Ashes i was fairly vocal in saying that Australia aren't as good as many think. I said that our bowling attack looked old and it needed a refresh. That hasnt happened this summer and it could well cost us in future summers.

I also said that Pakistan and the Windies would push us this summer. I have, once again I may add, been spot on with my analysis weeks out from the event.
Pakistan and the windies have some excellent bowlers but their batting has been ordinary compared to ours. I thought Chanderpaul has been a disappointment for them. Last summer I thought they unearthed a talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair part of it is a consequence of having an hour to fill: im certain when I started watching Channel 9 coverage it would start 20 minutes before the first ball, which evolved into 30 minutes. Now it’s an hour which is ridiculous overkill
Then don't fill the hour. Start the coverage 15 min before the game. Stop ******* around.

This is Fox, the supposedly superior coverage for the purists, and they're pissfarting around with inanity writ large.

Sinclair's runs were more valuable that that wicket, and that wicket was infinitely more valuable than him doing a cartwheel into a backflip. I'm glad he ******* cares, but to focus on the celebration undermines both the wicket and the runs, the product of ******* hard work.

It reduces cricket to the level of ******* Wipeout.

Alternatively, hold a show akin to Before the Game, in which you get comedians - rather than supposedly serious people with cricket cred - to vamp. Because if you're going to clutter up the coverage with C grade Grade Cricketer banter, you might as well actually just get the Grade Cricketer and have them do it.

Pakistan and the windies have some excellent bowlers but their batting has been ordinary compared to ours. I thought Chanderpaul has been a disappointment for them. Last summer I thought they unearthed a talent

Issue that Chandepaul has is not trying to score there’s a middle ground and defensive bats are fine but not if you are 5 from 30 every innings

Then don't fill the hour. Start the coverage 15 min before the game. Stop ******* around.

This is Fox, the supposedly superior coverage for the purists, and they're pissfarting around with inanity writ large.

Sinclair's runs were more valuable that that wicket, and that wicket was infinitely more valuable than him doing a cartwheel into a backflip. I'm glad he ******* cares, but to focus on the celebration undermines both the wicket and the runs, the product of ******* hard work.

It reduces cricket to the level of ******* Wipeout.

Alternatively, hold a show akin to Before the Game, in which you get comedians - rather than supposedly serious people with cricket cred - to vamp. Because if you're going to clutter up the coverage with C grade Grade Cricketer banter, you might as well actually just get the Grade Cricketer and have them do it.
I've never understood why they have a full hour prior to the start of play, and I rarely watch it. 15 minutes is all you need and get on with it.

Why the * is the Fox coverage talking about the celebration and not the ******* game?

Sinclair's wicket came after their quicks put us in dire straits, and forced us to play some pretty brave, fighting cricket to get the game back on even pegging.

The absolute state of the cricket coverage at the moment.
serves you right for watching the pre-coverage, just tune in when play is about to start

Still can't believe the bail wasn't dislodged by that incredible ball from Shemar Joseph to Carey. All the focus in the aftermath was on the impact but they neglected to mention what an utterly unplayable delivery it was- completely cut Carey in half and at decent pace too
It must have gone over just enough to spin it

Where the ball is pitching does not have an "umpire's call" element, so yes, it relies 100% on the tracking; there's only a rule to say how much percentage of the actual ball being in-line with the edge of leg-stump is the right amount for it to be considered "in-line" and that's set at 50% for what I perceive to be fairly deductive reasoning.

For the impact with the batsman, of course the impact isn't perfect as it is often (almost always?) between frames so there's a bit of guesswork with that so is OK to be encompassed by the "umpire's call" region.

I'd like to know the increased weight added to stumps & bails in the last 30 years, or even if bails sit in a deeper groove.
They just replayed it a again a little while back. It might be neither. It might in part at least be the new bails, and grooves, being smoother plastic. The bail just sat and span in a way they would not happen with wood.
Although I suspect deeper grooves and the end s of the bails seem thicker as well, so there may well be more than one factor.

Back