Traded #30: Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - 🚨 traded to the Pear, thanks for your service

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Port going out in straight sets help us at the trade table at all?

I don't think so. I think it's the opposite.

They may now take a more long term approach. They took a young SA KPD last year, big giant of a kid. Maybe they relax a bit, and build over the next few seasons.

Maybe they only take one of Esava and BZT. The first half last night was not about a lack of tall defenders, their dream team midfield was wiped off the park.

Whereas I thought that the flow of Melbourne v Carlton was not accurately reflected in scoring shots, GWS torched Port in the first half. 2 more goals and that game is done by half time and GWS coasts in the second half (which it may have done anyway).

They may now take a more long term approach. They took a young SA KPD last year, big giant of a kid. Maybe they relax a bit, and build over the next few seasons.

Maybe they only take one of Esava and BZT. The first half last night was not about a lack of tall defenders, their dream team midfield was wiped off the park.

Whereas I thought that the flow of Melbourne v Carlton was not accurately reflected in scoring shots, GWS torched Port in the first half. 2 more goals and that game is done by half time and GWS coasts in the second half (which it may have done anyway).
What happened to Ollie Wines?

They openly identified 3 trade targets whilst they were still in the finals. And they'd be thinking they're still in the window for a flag. So maybe it's possible they're a little bit more desperate to get the changes done so they can contend again next year.

If they took a long term approach wouldn't that be admitting that this team has failed and they're taking a step back to do mini rebuild?

They openly identified 3 trade targets whilst they were still in the finals. And they'd be thinking they're still in the window for a flag. So maybe it's possible they're a little bit more desperate to get the changes done so they can contend again next year.

If they took a long term approach wouldn't that be admitting that this team has failed and they're taking a step back to do mini rebuild?

It's not a rebuild.

They can still push top 4 next year but they're going to have to trade themselves out of 3 years of drafts when all is said and done to bring these 3 guys in.

I reckon you gotta respect what the comp is telling you. They weren't close to Brisbane or GWS.

Who knows, maybe they pull out of Esava. He'll cost more because Geelong wants him. I've heard some pundits questions our desire to keep BZT. Watch this space. But more importantly, we know Port has come hard for Esava 2 years in a row now.

Edit: I should say that I'm not expecting Port to walk away from anyone. I think they'll be too smart, and are too far away, to s**t the bed like Adelaide did at the end of 2017.

Last edited:
Would be a pretty crap look for them to be talking to Zerk throughout the year (which it sounds like they have been), Zerk to reject our tabled deal only because Port have made him and offer and there is mutual interest there and then for Port to pull the rug.

Unless something really stupid happens you're basically duty bound to follow through at that point, not doing is not so is a great way to make sure that managers of any other South Aussies returning home to encourage them to consider the crows.

Would be a pretty crap look for them to be talking to Zerk throughout the year (which it sounds like they have been), Zerk to reject our tabled deal only because Port have made him and offer and there is mutual interest there and then for Port to pull the rug.

Unless something really stupid happens you're basically duty bound to follow through at that point, not doing is not so is a great way to make sure that managers of any other South Aussies returning home to encourage them to consider the crows.

Both their picks this year are below the worth of BZT and ER.
BZT probably worth a pick in the 20s?

Both their picks this year are below the worth of BZT and ER.
BZT probably worth a pick in the 20s?

I'd want something inside 30, and I don't think that's at all unfair.

Future first, Future 2nd, future 3rd, 37, 43 plus any potential players that may become involved is plenty to maneuver both deals now that they are out on Grundy.

We also have all our 23 and 24 picks to involve in upgrades and downgrades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's Port, they've done it before they could do it again.

I'd want something inside 30, and I don't think that's at all unfair.

Future first, Future 2nd, future 3rd, 37, 43 plus any potential players that may become involved is plenty to maneuver both deals now that they are out on Grundy.

We also have all our 23 and 24 picks to involve in upgrades and downgrades.

They will have to work to create something inside 30.

They will have to work to create something inside 30.

37 and 43 could potentially buy them a higher pick from a club that needs points. They could split their f1 and get both Sav and Zerk with it’s parts.

I would also accept a future 2nd, even though it likely falls outside 30 I’ll cop that for the additional flexibility a pick next year would give the list.

They do not relax a bit, no way.

I think you are badly misreading the Adelaide fishbowl. Hinkley needs to win a flag like.. yesterday.

They’ve got offers out to both of them, they’ve likely been in contact for most of the year. They aren’t just going to turn around and not go after one because they lost a semi final. If anything it showed they need more backline depth

37 and 43 could potentially buy them a higher pick from a club that needs points. They could split their f1 and get both Sav and Zerk with it’s parts.

I would also accept a future 2nd, even though it likely falls outside 30 I’ll cop that for the additional flexibility a pick next year would give the list.
I'd take their future 1st for BZT and our F2. Although it's not likely going to be a massive pick upgrade.

What about swapping for Hayes as a backup ruckman, with the bonus he would be joining his brother.
We aren't gonna trade Hayes after 1 year of some very good VFL form, plus your one might not be there next year with Sweet coming in and a 19 year old going past him.

What about swapping for Hayes as a backup ruckman, with the bonus he would be joining his brother.

We aren't gonna trade Hayes after 1 year of some very good VFL form, plus your one might not be there next year with Sweet coming in and a 19 year old going past him.
I think he means
Essendon Out: BZT
Port Out: Sam Hayes

TBH I don't know anything about him, other than his hair doesn't look red enough.

I think he means
Essendon Out: BZT
Port Out: Sam Hayes

TBH I don't know anything about him, other than his hair doesn't look red enough.
Even worse. One is an AFL standard key defender, the other is a barely VFL standard ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back