Delisted 31. Francis Evans (2020 -2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

With Pick 41 in the 2019 AFL Draft Geelong Football Club welcomes

Francis Evans

Go Catters

Last edited:

A smokey!!

The Cats have sprung the first major surprise, drafting Francis Evans with their pick No.41. He was playing in the Victorian amateurs competition earlier this year and only played two games for the Calder Cannons. The Cats have backed what they've seen – they had some competition for him, with Essendon, North, Port and GWS also showing interest in him.

so look forward to some vision

i know wellsy knows his stuff.... but i was praying for robertson and we passed on him twice... then couldnt believe bianco was there so late still... and we took a smokey.

danger / duncan / selwood / steven - is it me or do we really need some young mids?! could we trade back in if bianco keeps sliding? we have 3 first round picks .... could we look at giving up a future second (do we own one?)

hope francis is a gun! just surprised by the selection (like most)

Article from HS earlier in the year:

Calder Cannons find offensive firepower to smash Murray Bushrangers in NAB League clash
Calder Cannons produced its biggest offensive outburst in almost two years on Saturday to claim a 50-point win over Murray Bushrangers in Wangaratta.
The 18.9 (117) to 10.7 (67) win was the first time the Cannons had scored more than 100 points since July 16, 2017, also against the Bushrangers.
In his first game of the NAB League season Francis Evans kicked three goals, as did Jeremy O’Sullivan, as 10 players hit the scoreboard.
Cannons coach Ross Smith revealed a tip from vice-captain Daniel Mott alerted the club to his Brunswick teammate Evans.
“Daniel Mott mentioned Francis’s name, you miss a few along the way or kids develop at different stages,” he said.

“He’s been quite dominant at Brunswick this year and he’s been training with us for a month.
“By all reports he was a goalkicker and we certainly needed to kick some goals, he came in and kicked three and he’s also a very good mark.”
Smith said the forward line was more “dynamic” this week after struggling for much of the season.
“We’ve had issues with goalscoring, we’re averaging 5.7 goals a games, ranked 18th in the competition,” he said.

We’ve been working hard on ways to rectify that over the last few weeks and to kick 18 goals is probably the most we’ve kicked in the two years I’ve been here.
“We’ve been using Jez O’Sullivan part-time in the ruck and for probably the first time we played both Patrick Luckins and Josh Hotchkin together, which allowed him to play more time deep forward.”
Ned Gentile was outstanding in an all-round performance, gathering 24 disposals, four marks, four tackles, eight clearances and two goals.
Mott was the leading ball-winner on the day with 29 possessions and a goal and Brodie Newman collected 24 touches.

ith praised Gentile’s ultra consistency and believed he was starting to enter AFL draft calculations.
“He’s been really consistent, a very courageous player, and with Ned you know you’re always going to get an honest performance,” he said.
“He’s putting it all together at the moment and he’s really gone up in estimations at the club and who knows what AFL clubs will want down the track.”
The NAB League breaks for a week as Vic Metro holds a trial game with the Cannons set to return against Northern Knights on June 1 at Highgate Reserve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing!

I know Francis well, he played with my kid at Brunswick Dragons. They used to go to games together to watch the Hawks. Graduated year 12 from same school this year. Absolute pleasure of a kid from a good family. Won't say anymore personal things in case he/his family prefer the privacy.

Tore games apart at Brunswick...levels above everyone else. Leadership qualities....not too vocal but leads by example on the field. Mid-Fwd. Quick and a very very good football brain. Baulks opposition players at will. Very sharp skills. Unfortunately suffered an injury back half of this year.

Now I might have to hope Cats do well....shite.

Anyway, good pick-up. We'll done. All the best to the young fella and his family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back