Retired #43: Anthony "Walla" McDonald-Tipungwuti - Will play his last game this weekend - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any chance in the world we could move him down back?

We are missing a bit of poise out of the back half, especially with Ridley out.

He's arguably the best field kick in the team for mine.

We 'could' but with his tank not being great right now it's probably not going to achieve what we'd hope it would, better to try Davey Jnr or Tex if they're wanting to do it with one of the current fit options (since D'Ambrosio was the obvious one to try if he wasn't injured) given both those guys have better running power.

correct me if i'm wrong but did he not start his career in the vfl down back?

correct me if i'm wrong but did he not start his career in the vfl down back?
yep.
I seem to recall he was mostly a HBF (its when i doubted his ability to be an AFL standard footballer.....words i found most delicious to eat)

I dont recall if he moved fwd before being drafted

yep.
I seem to recall he was mostly a HBF (its when i doubted his ability to be an AFL standard footballer.....words i found most delicious to eat)

I dont recall if he moved fwd before being drafted
i'd have to think back to watching VFL games while studying and all i can remember is that he was a semi decent lockdown defender with pace, ant555 said they've got an archive of VFL game notes that i'd be interested in seeing with regards to tippa. i think that it's been a fair few years since he's been played down there.

ultimately i think his role at the club is to assist in the development of the davey twins & mankura into being both comfortable within the environment and the tough elements of playing football.

i'd have to think back to watching VFL games while studying and all i can remember is that he was a semi decent lockdown defender with pace, ant555 said they've got an archive of VFL game notes that i'd be interested in seeing with regards to tippa. i think that it's been a fair few years since he's been played down there.

ultimately i think his role at the club is to assist in the development of the davey twins & mankura into being both comfortable within the environment and the tough elements of playing football.
im wait and see on what his plans are next year.
Does he play on, get the full preseason under his belt. Or was this enough for him to quell the doubts in his head over retirement?

Im easy either way as a fan, but i see a dire need for an experienced small forward. I'd live him and Menzie bringing the pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play him next 2 or retire him, we need Walla THIS YEAR, forward pressure plus in and under 2 mt Pete, its a recipe for success.

I think he is done. Have been prepared to wait as he was a long way back fitness wise but he is lacking the spark of the old Walla. He has trimmed down but they can not get him that last 10% and the magic is not there. He has had a decent crack at it and from all reports worked extremely hard to get back but sometimes you just have nothing more to give.

I think he is done. Have been prepared to wait as he was a long way back fitness wise but he is lacking the spark of the old Walla. He has trimmed down but they can not get him that last 10% and the magic is not there. He has had a decent crack at it and from all reports worked extremely hard to get back but sometimes you just have nothing more to give.
Would you put him on the rookie list next year? He might just need another preseason.

Would you put him on the rookie list next year? He might just need another preseason.
He looks like a player who has lost what he had .

He was given an opportunity and it was the right thing because he meant a lot to the club.

It hasn’t worked, we move on.

Can’t offer a speculative second season on the list in the hope he may come good.

Wouldn't be surprised if he pulled the pin.

Has had plenty of time to get fit but doesn't look like he is hungry anymore. At least he has given it a shot.

Everyone retires at some point.

Would love him to stay around the club.

Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

11 disposals, six inside 50’s, three marks

‘Walla’ played primarily as a higher forward this week, and typically looked really dangerous with his hands on it. He sets us up really well and applied his usual pressure, so we were happy with his efforts.

Ask him if he plans on retiring [AFL] if so play him last 3 games. His forward presure is worth it's weight in gold at a time when we need it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back