Retired #43: Anthony "Walla" McDonald-Tipungwuti - Will play his last game this weekend - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

yep.
I seem to recall he was mostly a HBF (its when i doubted his ability to be an AFL standard footballer.....words i found most delicious to eat)

I dont recall if he moved fwd before being drafted
He got moved forward late in the 2016 season after spending most of the year at half back.

Yep he is gone for mine if he can't show something at AFL level this year, list spots are tight
Come on now list member 36 will be firmly buried in the vfl along with players 32, 33, 34, and 35. If it’s not AMT it’s a late pick development project with a tiny chance at ever playing an AFL game.

Furthermore this isn’t a great team and it has rubbish depth. AMT’s valuable as a player who has good match awareness, that can take a mark and as a leader and example for the young indigenous guys coming through.

That’s of real benefit and far better then a 3rd round pick or whoever else would take up that spot

Come on now list member 36 will be firmly buried in the vfl along with players 32, 33, 34, and 35. If it’s not AMT it’s a late pick development project with a tiny chance at ever playing an AFL game.

Furthermore this isn’t a great team and it has rubbish depth. AMT’s valuable as a player who has good match awareness, that can take a mark and as a leader and example for the young indigenous guys coming through.

That’s of real benefit and far better then a 3rd round pick or whoever else would take up that spot
He hasn't been able to get fit for AFL in 12 months and he's over 30, I think this is nostalgia clouding everyone's judgment on him. I would for sure keep him around the club as a mentor but he doesn't have the drive to play AFL footy any more

Not sure how much drive he doesn't have. He's come from a long way back. Id like to keep him for one more year and see what happens. He's been looking good in the vfl and everyone loves him. Every week there is an improvement for him.

He looks in better shape than Stewie Dew did in the Hawkes GF in what, 2008?
Surely that must count for something :)

He hasn't been able to get fit for AFL in 12 months and he's over 30, I think this is nostalgia clouding everyone's judgment on him. I would for sure keep him around the club as a mentor but he doesn't have the drive to play AFL footy any more
If not being fit enough to play AFL gets you kicked off the list then you’re dumping 15-20 players.

Every list has a few people with no chance of playing AFL. At least with AMT you know that he can get you. The alternative isn’t a ready made upgrade it’s an another VFL player or worse.

So why cut a player if you aren’t assured of an upgrade?

Tail end of 2021: not up to it
2022: not up to it
2023: not up to it
2024: we should see if he might be up to it

We don't know what we'd get if we cut him loose. Same goes for Dodoro.
First half of 2021 (pre mental health issues) - AA quality small forward almost leading the coleman, probably the best small forward performance for Essendon since... I can't even remember who.

This is a tough one for me. Hard to separate emotion from logic. He does just seem to have lost that Walla spark, that final 5-10% that made him magic. Is that just the last little bit of fitness he still needs to build?

Scott was really strong when we re-signed him that he was coming from A LONG way back. The question for me is, is this fitness trajectory what the club expected? Did we give him a 1 year deal on the proviso that he works his ass off and shows commitment to get back to peak fitness, with the intent to give him another year if that happens? Or did we expect him to be playing consistent AFL in the back half of the season and this has been a disappointment?

Some people are a little confused if they're saying Scott hasn't changed coz he doesn't play youth but they then want Walla on the list (let alone in the AFL side) coz reasons.

I loved him as a player but the reports of him having a meh VFL season after his meh few AFL games earlier in the season indicate he's probably done. If his mind isn't in it despite earlier thinking he could climb the mountain again, then he's definitely done.

I’d offer him a train on rookie spot over the summer. Don’t think the club would do that tho. More likely they give him another year

First half of 2021 (pre mental health issues) - AA quality small forward almost leading the coleman, probably the best small forward performance for Essendon since... I can't even remember who.

This is a tough one for me. Hard to separate emotion from logic. He does just seem to have lost that Walla spark, that final 5-10% that made him magic. Is that just the last little bit of fitness he still needs to build?

Scott was really strong when we re-signed him that he was coming from A LONG way back. The question for me is, is this fitness trajectory what the club expected? Did we give him a 1 year deal on the proviso that he works his ass off and shows commitment to get back to peak fitness, with the intent to give him another year if that happens? Or did we expect him to be playing consistent AFL in the back half of the season and this has been a disappointment?
If you're taking emotion out of it you say thanks for everything Walla and try and keep him around the club in some capacity if that's what he wants. Maybe another year in the vfl if he's up for it.

I am disappointed but that's the emotional stuff coming back in.

He got moved forward late in the 2016 season after spending most of the year at half back.

Was the last couple of games.

IIRC his first goal was an off balance bomb off one step, off balance from about 55, and because the game was already well over no-one really batted an eyelid. Was against Freo in an absolute pantsing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people are a little confused if they're saying Scott hasn't changed coz he doesn't play youth but they then want Walla on the list (let alone in the AFL side) coz reasons.

I loved him as a player but the reports of him having a meh VFL season after his meh few AFL games earlier in the season indicate he's probably done. If his mind isn't in it despite earlier thinking he could climb the mountain again, then he's definitely done.
OMG, I read meth VFL session.

Been a long day!

Really hope we get to see him one more time before the season is done. It’s an awful shame for a man who brought us joy as he did to fade into the abyss without proper recognition or a goodbye from the fans (twice).

Wonder how biased i am with love for this guy
But id be ok if he took up a rookie spot next year
Half our list feel like rookies sometimes so not sure we need more projects.

If he's got the will to hit another preseason, he remains a great option to keep around.
Could they delay the list spot and set goals for his preseason then give him a spot if he reaches them?

Wonder how biased i am with love for this guy
But id be ok if he took up a rookie spot next year
Half our list feel like rookies sometimes so not sure we need more projects.

If he's got the will to hit another preseason, he remains a great option to keep around.
It's your bias.

The reality is he hasn't been fit enough (injury and general fitness) basically post-bye of 2021. His goal against Hawthorne will always be cherished for all of us but it's time.

It's your bias.

The reality is he hasn't been fit enough (injury and general fitness) basically post-bye of 2021. His goal against Hawthorne will always be cherished for all of us but it's time.
As much as I want to be in denial, you are spot on. He has had his chance. I just don't think he was ever hungry enough the second time around and his lack of fitness showed that.

At least he has given it a shot and can walk away with that knowledge.

The game has and will always need players like him. One of the great stories for this club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back