The Law 82 year old Australian Entertainer arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

hell be dead before he gets out.

tartan, not so much
A mere extension of him being dead from the shoulders up for most of his life. If he appeals, depending on whether he's granted bail on same, he may serve no time at all before his demise. Still don't know if the Poms grant bail during appeals for such offences. If he does appeal, even from prison, this could drag on for years, given the length and complexity of the trial. It could be argued that he has nothing to lose by appealing, regardless of his chances of success. This is not so for his victims.

He probably deserved a bigger sentence, but I think they were taking into account his age and health too. I have a feeling though that this won't be the last trial, as more and more victims have been coming out. I expect Harris will appeal the case too. He has the money to do it, so why wouldn't he (Apparently worth $20 million). The way it's been reported has been weird with the assaults described merely as groping and touching. But apparently the press have been holding back on this, as some of the testimonies in court were pretty gross. Harris is truly a pig.

He probably deserved a bigger sentence, but I think they were taking into account his age and health too. I have a feeling though that this won't be the last trial, as more and more victims have been coming out. I expect Harris will appeal the case too. He has the money to do it, so why wouldn't he (Apparently worth $20 million). The way it's been reported has been weird with the assaults described merely as groping and touching. But apparently the press have been holding back on this, as some of the testimonies in court were pretty gross. Harris is truly a pig.

Now that he has conviction against him, it probably opens up the doors for the victims to sue for compensation.

Why are people saying it's too soft? He'll most likely end up dead before that three years is up any way, so what would be the point of giving him 10-15 years? If you take into account poor health and the stress from this, more than likely he'll be dead within a year.

Good thinking. If he's still around in December, he's going on my 2015 General Discussion board death list.

How does that relate to war crimes in 1939?

Geoffrey Robertson's epic tome Crimes Against Humanity goes through that well, but unfortunately it's some time since I read it. From memory, it relies on international conventions and generally accepted, though not necessarily codified, principles of international law.

This is a brief discussion of the topic of war crimes and retrospectively: http://hrlc.org.au/kononov-v-latvia-2010-echr-667-17-may-2010/

If it is considered the death penalty under laws that existed at the time, but currently that state no longer allows the death penalty, what happens?

I believe they become a maximum of life imprisonment.

maximum of five years and nine months for 12 acts of pedophilia?
The sentence is less than the entire time he assaulted one of his victims...

Quite a few of the victims were a fair way beyond the paedophilia category. That is a term which would apply to pre-teens.

Sadly enough, this is far from the high end of the spectrum of sex offences against children.

Quite a few of the victims were a fair way beyond the paedophilia category. That is a term which would apply to pre-teens.

Sadly enough, this is far from the high end of the spectrum of sex offences against children.
part of his sentence is now codified from sir jimmy saville. i think most of the custodial sentence is due to this component.

I would argue that his public fall from grace is additional punishment not typical in this scenario. Institutions and figure heads are stampeding to be at the forefront of disowning him.

It's quite amazing actually.

Just take his art work down ffs, you don't need to make a ceremony of it. I hate human behavior sometimes.

I would argue that his public fall from grace is additional punishment not typical in this scenario. Institutions and figure heads are stampeding to be at the forefront of disowning him.

Just take his art work down ffs, you don't need to make a ceremony of it. I hate human behavior sometimes.
nah, he needs a sentence. but age must be taken into account, and it is the public baying for jimmy saville and other pedos like the art critic in Hey Dad.

In a similar vein, I'm always somewhat amused by the rush by people on forums like these to tell us that child sex offences are bad, and that people who commit them are bad.

I'd have thought that would be the generally accepted view, but some people just feel that they need to be sure their views are clearly noted for the record.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The possibility that he might get out one day should be taken into account if you believe prison should be rehabiliative as well as punitive. I don't think he has committed a crime so horrific that he should never be given the chance to be a free man again, I can't imagine anything more soul destroying than that prospect. Three years is still making a few assumptions with regards to his health as it is.

The possibility that he might get out one day should be taken into account if you believe prison should be rehabiliative as well as punitive. I don't think he has committed a crime so horrific that he should never be given the chance to be a free man again, I can't imagine anything more soul destroying than that prospect. Three years is still making a few assumptions with regards to his health as it is.

Normally i would agree with you but we're not talking about a 20 year old kid faced with no possibility of release. This is a man who has lived the majority of his life a free man. The fact that he's been sentenced and imprisoned at the closing years of his life is just the way the cookie crumbles (actually his good fortune). Would you feel the same way if he murdered somebody?
The fact he may die in jail is a consequence of his own actions.
Frankly, the sooner we start handing longer sentences to sex offenders the better.

By comparison, Alan Bond, who is essentially a thief ( but a big one ) spent four years in jail.
It gives a small indication of the seriousness of Harris's crimes that he got 5 years (2 1/2 in reality) for 12 convictions.
I would still love to see the actual alleged offenses in print.
Something smells fishy.

Some aren't given they were enablers of paedos. Two come to mind. Looks like they will get away with "internal" enquiries.

Reported that 100 cops involved re phone hacking and 7 re paedo allegations. Mind boggling the cover up that has taken place in the UK (now allegations re pollies going back a bit as well)

Some aren't given they were enablers of paedos. Two come to mind. Looks like they will get away with "internal" enquiries.

Reported that 100 cops involved re phone hacking and 7 re paedo allegations. Mind boggling the cover up that has taken place in the UK (now allegations re pollies going back a bit as well)
Put two and two together.

Put two and two together.

It is quite staggering how well known this was. In one way I can see the argument for naming a suspect of sex offences as apparently a number of people came forward re Rolf after his name was out in the open. If I was Hugh Grant I would be keeping my mouth tightly shut at the moment given what has occurred. Even more so re the "comedian" Steve Coogan.

It gives a small indication of the seriousness of Harris's crimes that he got 5 years (2 1/2 in reality) for 12 convictions.
I would still love to see the actual alleged offenses in print.
Something smells fishy.

Apparently most of the charges were " indecent assault". Obviously its a charge which can be very broadly applied.

Its like a charge of "assault" I guess. You could slap someone or beat them within inches of their lives. Unless you know all the details it would be hard to choose the appropriate penalty.

Apparently most of the charges were " indecent assault". Obviously its a charge which can be very broadly applied.

Its like a charge of "assault" I guess. You could slap someone or beat them within inches of their lives. Unless you know all the details it would be hard to choose the appropriate penalty.
This is why I feel the penalties speak so loudly...

It is quite staggering how well known this was. In one way I can see the argument for naming a suspect of sex offences as apparently a number of people came forward re Rolf after his name was out in the open. If I was Hugh Grant I would be keeping my mouth tightly shut at the moment given what has occurred. Even more so re the "comedian" Steve Coogan.
You seem very very defensive of Rupert Murdoch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back