A role at the club for Brett Goodes? In 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodes will be elevated - nothing surer in my mind - and he will play quite a few games until our kids are ready. To not play him because he is "old" is about as sensible as putting Bob Murphy out to pasture because he is even older than Goodes.

Right now we need as many capable, experienced, older bodies out there as deserve games. Make Webb or Hunter (but not Hrovat - cos he is s**t...FACT) earn the right to take Goodes' spot.

Sorry everyone else does this to me couldnt help myself :)

Sorry everyone else does this to me couldnt help myself :)

Well Brett was elevated and he has played in all three of our games. Even if our kids take his spot in the side from game 4 on I was correct and you were not - so stop making a fool of yourself.

Looks the wrong call on Brett.
He's just an outstanding VFL player unfortunately .

I have to put my hand up. Thought it was a good move to keep him on.
But I am wrong. For some reason he looks a little heavier and slower than last year.
He was very disappointing yesterday -- when we needed him most !

Well Brett was elevated and he has played in all three of our games. Even if our kids take his spot in the side from game 4 on I was correct and you were not - so stop making a fool of yourself.

There was nothing factually incorrect with your original statement nor is there with this one.

Although it is and to me has always been quite obvious that Goodes isn't up to the level required, out of all the rookies currently on our list he was always the one best prepared to cover Libba's injury pre-season injury.

A very odd post for MD to try a little point scoring I would've thought.

Yeah, I'll cop a whack to. I was all about getting Goodes in. He's not up to it though. Even with no Wallis or Libba I can't see him getting a game after his displays with us. We could really do with Caleb Daniel being fit. Our midfield is really slipping into slim pickings territory.

Goodes isn't up to it but you've gotta put the pick in perspective. Only seven "new" players (ie. not re-rookies) were taken after him. Four of them were international/cat B rookies that had already been signed (and wouldn't have filled our list spot anyway as cat B guys have their own list), and two were academy players that we couldn't sign even if we wanted to. The only player left - Tyrone Downie - was a speculative 26 year old small forward who doesn't appear anywhere close to playing (and let's be honest, many of those whining about Goodes would have melted if we took another small forward anyway).

My point is that nobody rated the draft at the point we took Goodes. One recruiter took a new player. That's it. We didn't think any of these guys were up to it (and nobody else did either) - so why not take a big, strong, mature body who we all know can drive the training standards of the group and fill in when the young bodies get tired, or to offer some support for them?

As it stands, he hasn't been up to it on the field, but he's done enough to play three games and will likely be important later in the year as young bodies tire (particularly if our injury toll keeps mounting). Bizarre point scoring is invalid as the pick is neither a success or a failure. It's pretty much on par with what we expected - perhaps slightly behind.

No you weren't

You daid he was good enoug hand deserved a spot

He isn't and never has been anyone that watched footy could easily see that

So no fool here only elsewhere but thanks for playing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was nothing factually incorrect with your original statement nor is there with this one.

Although it is and to me has always been quite obvious that Goodes isn't up to the level required, out of all the rookies currently on our list he was always the one best prepared to cover Libba's injury pre-season injury.

A very odd post for MD to try a little point scoring I would've thought.

Wasn't about point scoring just doing what's done to me daily

Comments I made weeks and sometimes months ago brought back to point score against me

But the premise still stands Goodes should never have been rookied for this year and was never going to be up to it

No you weren't

You daid he was good enoug hand deserved a spot

He isn't and never has been anyone that watched footy could easily see that

So no fool here only elsewhere but thanks for playing

I said what you quoted me as saying and nothing more. Are you hearing voices in your head or are you illiterate?

I dont understand the point people are trying to make with Goodes and why some continue arguing over it. Most agree that Goodes ability to play is limited to VFL, and is a placeholder this season due to injuries, Morris and Wallis will be out for a few weeks. What do we suggest to fill the gaps?

We're going to have to face the reality that he WILL continue to get games whilst we're in the situation we are in.. Dont like it? feel free to ring the club.

We're damned if we play him, damned if we dont.

I dont understand the point people are trying to make with Goodes and why some continue arguing over it. Most agree that Goodes ability to play is limited to VFL, and is a placeholder this season due to injuries, Morris and Wallis will be out for a few weeks. What do we suggest to fill the gaps?

We're going to have to face the reality that he WILL continue to get games whilst we're in the situation we are in

I think many were saying he was more than that Mike and some even suggested he I'll play every game after Libba went down

I don't think we should get too excited after 2 wins I still personally think we are no chance at the 8, I may be wrong, and Goodes has proved again this year he is not even up to filling a spot due to injury. Give as many kids as we can game time before him and he should only be a last option

I also think that playing him as a sub isn't great as he really has no impact when he comes on

We are going to cop more injuries as the year goes on and the list will need to be able to cope with that.

He has not looked up to it so far this year, but we are only a few games in so will reserve judgement at this stage.

I wonder how mentally he is taking the 'green vest'. Perhaps Beveridge thought is that he can use his experience to 'shore up' the game late, rather than pluck for a young 'sharp shooter' to change the game when behind.

Goodes certainly has not seemed to adjust to his role so far and stamp his authority on a game. I personally think you either drop him or start him.

I said what you quoted me as saying and nothing more. Are you hearing voices in your head or are you illiterate?

You said,and I quote "right now we need as many capable experienced bodies as possible" in reference to Goodes

He isn't that and never has been so admit your wrong for once

You do this to me constantly, annoying isn't it

I think many were saying he was more than that Mike and some even suggested he I'll play every game after Libba went down

I don't think we should get too excited after 2 wins I still personally think we are no chance at the 8, I may be wrong, and Goodes has proved again this year he is not even up to filling a spot due to injury. Give as many kids as we can game time before him and he should only be a last option

I also think that playing him as a sub isn't great as he really has no impact when he comes on

I think it would be unrealistic to put us anywhere near the 8 this year. Beveridge has the task of teaching them a completely new way of doing things compared to the previous philosophy that took us nowhere fast. If there is someone on the list better than Goodes, we should be playing them IMO. Our present situation with Wallis and Morris being out for a few weeks could mean we're going to have to put up with Goodes until such time Hamling and Roberts can get match fitness and form.

Lets hope that all is ok with Bontempelli, M Boyd and Wood who will see us have less reliance on having to fill a gap with Goodes

Mind you, seeing Talia is long overdue. Played a good game yesterday and continues to cement a place in the side.

Hope this doesn't come across as a 'friends, sisters, boyfriend' story - but that's essentially the provenance of it.

Talking to a friend in late March we got onto the subject of Goodes. His sister is apparently good friends with Brett or dates him (I can't recall). Anyway, my friend told me that Brett has a torn/severely stressed bicep muscle. I believe this is on his right arm - around the shoulder that's generally always taped.

The information was that it's not critical to have surgery on it (I don't see how this is but have little idea about the mechanics of it). If he was to have surgery it would need 10-12 weeks+ for rehabilitation.

Just passing the message on.

Last edited:
You said,and I quote "right now we need as many capable experienced bodies as possible" in reference to Goodes

He isn't that and never has been so admit your wrong for once

You do this to me constantly, annoying isn't it

Once again you ignore what I said and selectively quote me. I said:

Goodes, Jong and Dickson named by many in the media as in our best players on the weekend.

Goodes will be elevated - nothing surer in my mind - and he will play quite a few games until our kids are ready. To not play him because he is "old" is about as sensible as putting Bob Murphy out to pasture because he is even older than Goodes.

Right now we need as many capable, experienced, older bodies out there as deserve games. Make Webb or Hunter (but not Hrovat - cos he is s**t...FACT) earn the right to take Goodes' spot.

Everything I said was 100% correct. Goodes' spot in the team may well be taken by one of our younger players next week or some time in the future...they have to earn the spot though.

I was correct in saying:

1. Goodes would be elevated;
2. That Goodes would play senior games;
3. That capable and experienced players are needed and if they deserve games should and will be played;
4. Goodes would and should stay in the side until a younger player proved he deserves the place in the team more than Goodes.

Everything about this thread should be an embarrassment to you, but alas you are unable to tell when you are making a complete ass of yourself.

Once again you ignore what I said and selectively quote me. I said:

Everything I said was 100% correct. Goodes' spot in the team may well be taken by one of our younger players next week or some time in the future...they have to earn the spot though.

I was correct in saying:

1. Goodes would be elevated;
2. That Goodes would play senior games;
3. That capable and experienced players are needed and if they deserve games should and will be played;
4. Goodes would and should stay in the side until a younger player proved he deserves the place in the team more than Goodes.

Everything about this thread should be an embarrassment to you, but alas you are unable to tell when you are making a complete ass of yourself.

Lol look at the time and energy you spend on me who you have no time for :)

But for rebuttal

3. Goodes isn't capable and neve has been
4. Younger players haven't taken his spot, he has been so bad he will probably lose t to someone that hasn't been going well.

Insult me some more please I enjoy it and you floundering in complete inability to admit you were wrong .... Flap flap

Enjoy your day Tis lovely outside where's Mutts belong

Lol look at the time and energy you spend on me who you have no time for :)

But for rebuttal

3. Goodes isn't capable and neve has been
4. Younger players haven't taken his spot, he has been so bad he will probably lose t to someone that hasn't been going well.

Insult me some more please I enjoy it and you floundering in complete inability to admit you were wrong .... Flap flap

Enjoy your day Tis lovely outside where's Mutts belong

You stay classy there Mattdougie. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back