A Thread only for the rational thinking Pies fan

Remove this Banner Ad

Keeffe taking the kick ins annoys me. Surely you want the 200cm bloke running around giving a marking option to the kicker, not trying to kick it to one of our 170cm fleet? I guess the issue is that he's the best of a bad bunch of kicks back there. Maybe get Langdon to take the kicks? Or Seedsman?

Goldscack or Young might be options as well. I agree 100%, Keeffe should be providing a target...

I think our main concern is the ruck. Witts has been in the system for some time but really is still a kid. We are getting smashed in clearances because of hit outs to advantage. I for one like the direction we are heading because both Witts and Grundy look to have huge futures and the only way to get the experience they need is to play them. I do however think that if they are not breaking even in the ruck contest, the midfield needs to adjust and try and rove to the opposing ruckman.
Our defense lacks leaders, with Maxy and Brown out and also Toovey, I feel that if the leadership is left to Harry, then that limits his greatest asset (attack).
Harry is at his best when he can explode from contests and run and carry. Frost, Langdon and Keefe are young and have a great upside, but they are screaming out for guidance. Maybe Reid does need to go back at times, having Goldsack back there takes away his most valuable asset (forward pressure). He is a tackling machine and I feel does his best work when allowed to move forward.
I thought Broomhead showed some promise on a couple of occasions yesterday and all in all our youth in general looks to have a great upside.

On the game yesterday, I thought we lacked poise, it was lucky we were not playing at Etihad as with the height that the ball was getting sent forward, there may have been a danger of it hitting the roof. We cannot just keep blazing away, we need composure. Our problem (from what I can see) is that we attack the ball and the ball carrier too much. Don't get me wrong, it is a good trait to have, to attack the ball but when you do you have to win it.
Teams are starting to sit just off the ball because all our players go in for it and as soon as the opposition gets a sniff they flick it out and then there off. We need to be accountable for our opponents and if we can't, then somebody must. Again that will come in time as we become more accustomed to Buckley's gameplan and get some experience and trust into the kids.
This year is not for us and sadly next year may not be also but another year and 20 odd games into our ruckmen and youngsters and 2016 and beyond looks promising.

Moving forward, I think we need to recruit another experienced defender but I would keep persisting with Witts (and at times Grundy) because
they need the experience against the best in the league. Getting beaten isn't always a bad thing if they learn from it. I believe you haven't had a good fight until to have been beaten.
The Pies will rise again, keep the faith.
Remember it is a compass not a clock, it is the direction you are heading, not how fast you get there. I for one think we are heading in the right direction.
Go Pies

We don't have that meany guys who have elite pace and the other problem is the young blokes are cooked at the moment

I think White and Kennedy could burn players running into space and hopefully Freeman. Keep Cloke in the arc and Reid running forward into space as others stream forward.

I think you need to pick a team with more than 2 genuine mids. I'd like to us to recruit some more on ball match winner now and forgot about Frawley. We have so many half back flankers when you look at it and I lot of guys that just float around. We need to quality to follow the ball around the ground.
Pendlebury and Beams are great.
Sidebottom I see a for/mid
Martin forward/mid
See what I mean. More genome midfielders.

When I look at those 11 top heavier guys we took in it's no wonder the crows had loose men in the last quarter.

I agree our problems are in the middle which makes the defence look worse than it is. I am very happy with our young defenders given the barrage they are under care of the problems in the middle. I am not 100% on Frawley, especially if the cost is exorbitant in years and wage, but he could fit in a 3 tall structure nicely and play smaller if required. It would be the mirror image of WC fwd line if that makes sense (Frawley the defensive equivalent of Darling).

Adams will be the Ball replacement and is certainly in the same mould. Not super efficient disposal but hard as a cat's head.

What we need to replace is someone for Thomas (early Thomas) which we may have in Freeman. Any number could wash through like Wellingham, notably Kennedy or possibly Broomhead.

Swan is still there but a player like that is hard to replace.

Last edited:
If we look at the game against the crowes and we measure the number of premiership players from 2010 that were missing.What I mean we can include players like toovey,ball that were missing yesterday that comes to 16.
That's 16 premiership players that weren't playing so where are we at the moment.

Agree with your post but we had 9 2010 premership players out there yesterday so we were only missing 13.

The Middle:

Contested footy is our biggest problem by a country mile. We were smashed in clearances. Adelaide got out too easy too often, and it highlighted the inexperience and vulnerability of our defence.

Now it’s easy to say Beams and Pendlebury were our best players. However, is that really the case considering in my eyes were smashed in the middle, and they’re the two main players going through the middle? Beams didn’t register a tackle until the last quarter (4). Pendlebury had 3 for the game. Crouch had 9 for Adelaide on his own.

Harry L was inspirational in the last quarter for us in the middle. The times he was in the middle we halved contests, and won more clearances. He breaks the lines and takes players on which we needed desperately.

Defending stoppages is another low point. Too often too easily Adelaide got the ball out, and ran off in waves.

Defence:

The biggest issue here is continuity. Great teams usually have a consistent back 6. The second is experience.

Looking beyond that is ball movement from defence. The frustration with people at the game is with the kicker. However the movement of the team is virtually stagnant. Hawthorn players know where to run and move at all times. Collingwood players; do not, or can’t, or don’t.

Defending kick ins is also equally lacking. There appears to be very little pressure on the kicker, and teams too often find a way out. Our good is very good when defending, but too often lapses cost us.

Forward:

I think the day of the contested forward is coming to an end slowly. It is too easy to zone off and stifle Cloke if he engages his opponent physically. Hawthorn’s forward setup is by far the best, constant movement and precise kicking.

With time Cloke, Reid and White will pay dividends as tall forwards. Elliot is by far the best of the small brigade. And with the inclusion of a 3rd tall defender should send Goldsack forward to allow pressure to be generated on the forward line. Given Elliot’s height, I don’t think there is room for Blair because right now, the impact he’s having is minor.

Positives from Adelaide:

Kyle Martin’s inclusion. I think he can use the ball, and with time in the system will adapt.
Harry L in the middle, and his persistent run.
A quarter and a half of footy we played we looked well when we ran, and took on the game, and the opposition. We desperately need more of that.

Keeffe is a worry IMO. He just takes far too long to make a decision and appears to have no confidence in himself.

Keeffe is just one of those players who is continually over rated. Yes he is tall and agile, and obviously must be impressive in and around the club given he is in the leadership group, but does not have a great football brain. He is one player I would be willing to trade if we could redeem anyhting for him, but that seems highly unlikely.

If you want to pot players, coaches and other supporters, this is not the thread for you. I want a discussion of the pro's and cons of where we are at right now.

Firstly, I am dissapointed with the result because we worked hard to get back into the game, but butchered the ball constantly and then just fell to pieces in the last 5-10 minutes of the game. Our first quarter was also the worst we have played all year.

This contested football problem is really starting to hurt us bad. Buckley made the right move to committ and extra number to the contest, and also to play a spare behind the ball. However, it just meant Adelaide had 2 spare men in defence, and Brodie Smith destroyed us. He was BOG. However, if we didn't play our spare around the ball, we were getting smacked by Adelaide in the stoppages so Bucks had no choice.

6. It was easy to think that we had no game plan yesterday. But I think a lot of this has to do with our inability to win contested footy. Buckley is clearly trying to get some run and carry into the team, but if we can't win the hard stuff, then the outsiders have no hope. Our best game plan involves winning the stoppages, playing one loose behind the ball and having good spread. We have no spread at the moment simply because all hands are needed in close to try and win the footy.

11. I get the fact that Buckley probably doesn't want to have Kennedy in the side when we already have Blair and Elliott. However, I think he is wasted as a sub. The word is that Kennedy lacks fitness. If that is the case, then he needs to be running out full games at VFL level, not 20 minutes at AFL. He is a good sub because he comes on and has impact, but I reckon he is better than we are allowing him.

Ultimately, our effort was there, the execution wasn't. Importantly though, our youth is pushing through as we hoped it would, and we had something like 14 players under 50 games experience.

Accuse me of living in the past, but MM never played a spare player behind the ball because it frees up an opposition player behind the centre square, which gives the opposition in possession of the ball an extra player at the contest. Also it sends a message to the opposition team that we're not good enough to win the centre clearances ourselves. The top teams such as Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn don't play spare players in the back half that we did yesterday. Also MM never played taggers because it denies extra players to the contest. Mick's philosophy was one on one contests and when you have possession of the ball create extra players running forward to overwhelm the opposition.

Buckley's game plan changes weekly which confuses the players. MM had a simple game plan which never changed so at least players knew where they stood with the game plan. Buckley seems to me to be trying too hard and expecting too much from the players. Also each week different players are tried in different positions which only makes things worse. Buckley needs to go back to basics, listen to the advice he is getting from his assistant coaches but filter out the advice which doesn't fit with Buckley's own philosophy. In other words, Buckley should go with his gut feel and drop all the scientific theories which are making him a worse coach than he is. Since he has a three year contract he has plenty of time to get it right. At the moment he is failing as a coach in terms of momentum of the team and wins and losses record and ladder position of the team and lack of improvement of certain players in the team.

Kennedy didn't lack any fitness in the game he played against Western Bulldogs and was our third best player on the ground, so don't understand why he has been sub the last two games. Poor decision by the football department backed up by comments by the media.

My thoughts on a couple of things.

Rucks: I think Witts has been a revelation this year and if he keeps improving will be a major asset in a couple of years. He held his own against Jacobs and also was better around the ground. Grundy and Witts will be players, but we are really lacking a marking option coming out of defence from them. That was something Jolly could do clunk a mark, we will look allot better for that. Still I think that will only come with time

Harry O: He does some great things breaks a couple of tackles but he just bombs it into the 50 as high as he can. I am really not sure if his line breaking outweighs his wastefulness.

Not Holding Onto the Ball: When we got tackled yesterday no one seemed to hold on to the ball for a ball up. They always seemed to do the extra thing and get a handball out. Majority of the time it seemed to go to the opposition and cause a turnover. Are we trying to do too much with it. Especially in our forward half we just need to lock it in sometimes, it seemed to be the younger players.

Upside: I think being a young side we have to expect games like this where we play well for most of the game but switch off and have very bad patches. Had we kicked a couple when we should have in the last we would be having a different conversation.

Leadership is a really interesting thing with this team. Maxwell gone leaves a massive hole in this area. In hindsight he was providing a great foil to Pendles, providing that overt stuff on the ground. Pendles seems to have tied up considerably in the last six weeks. Captaincy doesnt seem a natural part of him. Has gone into his shall a bit when the game is on the line. He is an instinctual player and is maybe overthinking his role.

We lack a bit of personality in the team. Yeaterday whenwe challenged them you could see Dangerfield just take the bit between the teeth and impose himself. Who is our best bet to take over a similar role at Collingwood?

I agree our problems are in the middle which makes the defence look worse than it is. I am very happy with our young defenders given the barrage they are under care of the problems in the middle. I am not 100% on Frawley, especially if the cost is exorbitant in years and wage, but he could fit in a 3 tall structure nicely and play smaller if required. It would be the mirror image of WC fwd line if that makes sense (Frawley the defensive equivalent of Darling).

Adams will be the Ball replacement and is certainly in the same mould. Not super efficient disposal but hard as a cat's head.

What we need to replace is someone for Thomas (early Thomas) which we may have in Freeman. Any number could wash through like Wellingham, notably Kennedy or possibly Broomhead.

Swan is still there but a player like that is hard to replace.
Spot on. We've lost a ton of possessions out of the middle. Swan Ball Didak Wellingham D. Thomas not only have we lost those possession getters most of them were quality. (and it's not just in the middle they followed the ball EVERYWHERE) extremely hard to replace them with guys that don't have the frame of the lungs grunt and skill.

Forget Frawley now, it's time to chase quality midfielders that can go in there and stay there and follow the ball all game. I don't want to throw up names but if you were going for younger guys maybe someone like Whitfield in the engine room is what we need to chase maybe even some that are ready made. Tough gig getting quality mids to come across but I don't think you could go wrong chasing a few taller type mids that can run all day.

We have enough mids, I just don't think we have the right balance of inside and outside.

Two weeks ago we had Ball, JT, Kennedy, Beams, Pendlebury and Adams. I think the mix is better with Broomhead in there because he has more outside game. Otherwise there are just too many inside types with not enough outside spread. It's better without Ball and JT, the issue is there just isn't a ready made outside A grader to step in and round out the midfield. Broomhead will be this I'm confident

The point is that we just don't have anything at VFL to step in right now. I'd love a Stephen Hill type to really round out the midfield...or a Chris Yarran across half back.

But its no wonder we have a shallow midfield when you lose the likes of Swan and Ball. Martin and Freeman may be the replacements long term, but we just have to be patient.

As I said, I'm happy enough with the team selected and would like to give them opportunities throughout the rest of the year to acclimatise to AFL
We have two quality mids that will be under the pump again next season if the guys around them are only Kennedy and Broomhead. They're for the future. We need guys that can play right away with Beams and Pendlebury. I'm not sold on Josh Thomas, he'd be ok in an elite side as a sub or rotating in the middle: Not a first class midfielder.

Bringing in Karnezis, Freeman and Scharenberg next year will help the midfield. Freeman will be the only midfield-first player in that bracket, but Pendles, Beams, Swan, Sidebottom, Adams and Freeman is a decent looking unit before we look at more of the part timers like Broomhead, Scharenberg, Lumumba, etc.

If we want to "chase" a midfielder, O'Rourke for Brown and an upgrade of second round picks maybe? Not like GWS will care about non-first round picks.

I am not for it because I think Brown has the capacity to build a rebound game (and was building one in the VFL before he got injured again) and we're out of the race for Frawley (?) so we're light on KPD depth.

But yeah. If a midfielder was a priority, we could get O'Rourke for Brown and a swap of picks. GWS need a hardened KPD and Brown is a former first rounder himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want to pot players, coaches and other supporters, this is not the thread for you. I want a discussion of the pro's and cons of where we are at right now.

I have not given up hope of playing finals, but to be honest I have no real concern either way. I'd be happy with us to try and get some confidence out of the last 5 rounds and keep pumping games into Broomhead, Martin, Kennedy etc. If we make finals that's great, but I think we have bigger issues to worry about than scraping into the top 8.

Firstly, I am dissapointed with the result because we worked hard to get back into the game, but butchered the ball constantly and then just fell to pieces in the last 5-10 minutes of the game. Our first quarter was also the worst we have played all year.

This contested football problem is really starting to hurt us bad. Buckley made the right move to committ and extra number to the contest, and also to play a spare behind the ball. However, it just meant Adelaide had 2 spare men in defence, and Brodie Smith destroyed us. He was BOG. However, if we didn't play our spare around the ball, we were getting smacked by Adelaide in the stoppages so Bucks had no choice.

Here are a few other points I took out of the game:

1. Clearly our structure was better with Reid. He didn't have a great game, but our first few goals came from crumbs from his contests. If he had kicked that easy goal it would've been an ok game. Jessie White and Travis Cloke clearly benefitted.

2. On White, he played OK but I was still very dissapointed. He kicked 2 goals early, but then butchered 2 gettable opportunities and his marking is just not up to it. He dropped a few marks that a forward just should take. If Grundy can improve his forward work, I think he'll eventually claim his spot.

3. Despite Reid's presence, I think the team is just screaming out for him in defence. Without Toovey, we had no premiership defenders and it was evident. They look disorganised and there is just no procedure moving the ball out of defence. I'd get Reid and Toovey down there.

4. The question then becomes who do we play forward. The answer is Karnezis. He may not be the aerial presence that Reid is, but Pat knows how to kick a goal and is a fine lead up player. He has had a few games now at VFL level, and also trained throughout the bye so he must be close. I love Reid forward, but I think we need to resolve the Defence first.

5. Midfield is a huge concern right now. My issue is that too may commit to the contest, and still don't win the footy. Far too often an Adelaide player won it in close and then fed it outside where 3 or 4 Adelaide players were waiting. All their Magpies opponents were getting sucked into the contest and leaving their opponents outside and ready to break. Our midfield coach has work to do.

6. It was easy to think that we had no game plan yesterday. But I think a lot of this has to do with our inability to win contested footy. Buckley is clearly trying to get some run and carry into the team, but if we can't win the hard stuff, then the outsiders have no hope. Our best game plan involves winning the stoppages, playing one loose behind the ball and having good spread. We have no spread at the moment simply because all hands are needed in close to try and win the footy.

7. Really impressed with Lumumba yesterday. He needed to lift and he did.

8. Macaffer is just not working for us right now. OK, he limited Sloane to 19 disposals and a goal, but he did nothing offensively for us. I'd be happy enough seeing Sloan have 26 disposals and 2 goals, if his opponent can do damage the other way. We just have no outside spread right now, and Macaffer offers nothing on the inside either. I think Macaffer needs to be a horses for courses selection. He clearly suits some teams but not others.

9. Instead, I'd be getting Marley Williams into the middle. He is so down on confidence right now and is making mistakes we haven't seen from him before. I'd have him run with a dangerous player, but also have a licence to really hit in and try and cause damage. The guy is a bull and one of our best one v one players. He is only an average kick and we have too many of those in the backline right now. I reckon Marley would help with our contested footy problems. My only question is whether he is fit enough to play midfield yet. Maybe next year this may happen.

10. Despite the horrible game, I reckon this is the side I want to see going forward in the next month. I thought Adams and Broomhead showed something. Adams had his best game of the year, whilst Broomhead only showed glimpses but he went in hard and he makes something happen when he is around the ball. Witts just needs to keep getting exposed to the best rucks, whilst Langdon held his own yesterday. Kyle Martin was quiet and didn't take his opportunity, but I reckon he needs another chance. Please don't drop him after 1 game!

11. I get the fact that Buckley probably doesn't want to have Kennedy in the side when we already have Blair and Elliott. However, I think he is wasted as a sub. The word is that Kennedy lacks fitness. If that is the case, then he needs to be running out full games at VFL level, not 20 minutes at AFL. He is a good sub because he comes on and has impact, but I reckon he is better than we are allowing him.

12. I thought Blair was good. He had a real crack. But I still question his role in the side. I reckon he either has to go into the midfield or be dropped. He kicked a late goal, but otherwise missed a really crucial shot before 3 quarter time and didn't really have any other impact around goals. I would give him a run in the middle whilst Ball is out to try and improve our contested footy. Otherwise, he's the person I'd sacrifice for Karnezis to come into the side.

13. As I said, I think all the players I want in the side are there. The only 2 I think need to come in are Toovey and Karnezis. I think JT and Dwyer need multiple good performances at VFL level and need to earn their spot as Martin and Broomhead did. They were given time at AFL level and failed, so Martin and Broomhead deserve the same chance.

For all the analysis, and my concerns about the midfield, ultimately we were able to arm-wrestle the game back our way. I don't know how we did it, but we found a way.

My only other concern with the side is our run out of defence. There just isn't any. Too many bad kicks down there and no experience. It's one reason I think Reid needs to go back. However, we can't expect much from Reid this year as he is clearly scratchy and not 100% match fit. Having Fasolo back there might help, but Bucks has made it clear that Fas will need more time. Maybe Broomhead could be tried off a back flank for now.

Ultimately, our effort was there, the execution wasn't. Importantly though, our youth is pushing through as we hoped it would, and we had something like 14 players under 50 games experience.

Well said :thumbsu:

Spot on. We've lost a ton of possessions out of the middle. Swan Ball Didak Wellingham D. Thomas not only have we lost those possession getters most of them were quality. (and it's not just in the middle they followed the ball EVERYWHERE) extremely hard to replace them with guys that don't have the frame of the lungs grunt and skill.

Forget Frawley now, it's time to chase quality midfielders that can go in there and stay there and follow the ball all game. I don't want to throw up names but if you were going for younger guys maybe someone like Whitfield in the engine room is what we need to chase maybe even some that are ready made. Tough gig getting quality mids to come across but I don't think you could go wrong chasing a few taller type mids that can run all day.

Swan is injured and getting older, ditto for Ball. Didak was cooked, Thomas not worth 750k p.a., Wellingham has gone to seed if his team selection is any indication.

The point here is not just whether we withered on the vine and mugged ourselves by paying overs for Thomas or nightclub bunnies, but if we were going to push forward with the next generation. I think we've done that with some aggressive trading and now we need to be patient.

Scharenberg, Freeman, Broomhead, Grundy, Adams, Kennedy. We have the talent and some others who will come up and surprise us as Swan did. We just need to hold that line and wait for the development to come.

I think our biggest issue at the moment is getting continually smashed in the clearances. We've barely won a clearance in the past month and a bit. It forces us to put a spare man back, creating a spare man in our forward line which most of our midfielder then lack the skill to kick around. It creates the issue where our defence is under siege most of the game. Part of the issue might be our young ruckman, but honestly I've been pleased with how Witts is developing there and see that as some positive news. His efforts have been enough that we shouldn't be getting smashed in clearances to the degree we have been.

I'll put in this link for your reference. Not to antagonise but more for clarity on the current "clearance" issue. We dominate from stoppages and are abysmal at centre bounces. To often last night the Crows scored back to back within 30 seconds from relatively uncontested center clearances. From what I have seen this year if the centre bounce becomes messy we win it more often than not. However if the opposing team gets a clean first possession they are away untouched. It sounds to simple but I feel our outside runners are assuming we are going to win the ball and leaving their opposite unattended. On the other hand we rarely seem to have "clean" breaks from the centre. Often its a struggle or the result of 4 - 5 short, sharp handballs and a runner busting a tackle (Harry O was exciting!).

This is directly related to our ruck. I am a fan of Witts, Grundy and even White in the ruck, but they are often completely beaten with first touch and don't apply enough body on body to disrupt the opposing ruck. Thus leading to a tap down the throat of Dangerfield or Crouch (for instance) and a fast, clean handball to an outside runner or a 40 meter kick into our defensive 50.

I also feel that halfway through the 3rd quarter it was evident that Smith and Dangerfield were probably the 2 most dominant players on the field and our coaches and players did nothing to stop them. Macaffer should have switched to Danger and Blair should have been tighter than a hangmans noose on Smith.

What a great thread. Reacting irrationally has never helped anyone ever so it's good to see so many willing to take the time to assess where we're at.

I wasn't particularly confident going into yesterday's game, considering the way Adelaide beat us last time. They beat us on intensity and on contested ball. I totally understands the INs for the game, but damn that midfield is not made for tough contested games, more so with the additions of Martin and Broomhead (even though Broomhead did very well and seems to bring something valuable to us which is clean skills).

Yesterday I was underwhelmed by our forward line because I thought having the right players in there would help the rest of our structure greatly. However Reid looked very slow and unfit and Cloke didn't have a good game, it was also Elliott first game back and we tried a few options as a second small forward, none of which seemed to work particularly well. So let's persist with this and see what happens when we have a fitter forward line.

We definitely lost the game in the midfield. As individuals, they are almost all great. As a unit, they are not working well. We lose most clearances and we never seem to get into space, while being outnumbered at every stoppage or whenever the ball comes out of the pack. We overcommit to the contest, which shows good hunger for the ball but what it shows is lack of footy smarts (I can only think of Pendles and Langdon as genuinely smart footballers, the rest often second guesses themselves and takes ages to make a decision). We need to be aware of where the opposition midfield is and adjust our patterns accordingly. Easy to say of course but unfortunately this means we need to try dropping Macaffer. He's performed his role very well throughout the year but we're essentially always looking for support in the midfield and never seem to find it (we've seen many find themselves short of options yesterday, Beams, Pendles and Sidey come to mind). We should only bring him when we feel the opposition does has one single stand out midfielder that will kill us if we don't shut him down (e.g Ablett).

Outside of Pendles and Lumumba, who in our midfield is genuinely hard to tackle (Lumumba was close to BOG for us yesterday, one of the few winning his own ball)? We don't break lines with our run, we lose the clearance count most weeks and because we don't have clean foot skills we are made accountable for it. Yesterday we were out-muscled, in the bottom of packs as well as in marking contests outside of our defence which actually did pretty well considering the circumstances.

Regarding the kick ins, we have been terrible at the kick ins since... I don't even remember. But the fact that we have tried so many different set ups and the issue has bee persisting issue shows that it's actually not a tactical issue but rather an issue of players skills/confidence. We don't have players with great foot skills in our defence and hence we are very easy to lock in our defensive fifty. Basically nowadays with the congestion on the ground, teams get out of their defensive fifty by spotting a unmanned teammate very quickly and kicking it to him with accuracy. However there is always a danger involved in these kicks as most players would always have an opponent within 5-10m. What this means for us is that our players who don't have self belief in their kicking or simply don't have the skills always tend to wait for an easier opportunity that never comes.
I understand why Keeffe is kicking in because he actually is a very good kick (good technique), but his decision making is probably the biggest weakness in his game so he never makes the right decision.

Don't get why everyone pots our backline and says we need to play Reid back, we have conceded the 7th least points against this year and we are only the 12th highest scoring side

The reason for this is related to the season as a whole and performance in games not just a number. When we win our defence is spot on, rock solid and we concede on average 65.3 points. However when we lose we concede a whopping 97.6 points. The difference between winning and losing should equate to difference in points conceded but 6 goals?

As a point of interest the points scored in wins and losses is almost the exact opposite (97.8 in a win and 69.6 in a loss). You don't need to score 120+ every week, just more than the other team. Our structure is based on causing turnovers and rebounding (slingshotting) from those turnovers.

Another point is most of our losses have coincided with our most inexperienced backlines.

I can gather more stats but the TLDR is why do we lose so badly? - Inexperience.

Last edited:
Swan is injured and getting older, ditto for Ball. Didak was cooked, Thomas not worth 750k p.a., Wellingham has gone to seed if his team selection is any indication.

The point here is not just whether we withered on the vine and mugged ourselves by paying overs for Thomas or nightclub bunnies, but if we were going to push forward with the next generation. I think we've done that with some aggressive trading and now we need to be patient.

Scharenberg, Freeman, Broomhead, Grundy, Adams, Kennedy. We have the talent and some others who will come up and surprise us as Swan did. We just need to hold that line and wait for the development to come.
Beams and Pendlebury are our rocks now. Not suggesting any of the above should've been kept but all those together in 2010 were stars in the middle and now it's down to two.

5. Midfield is a huge concern right now. My issue is that too may commit to the contest, and still don't win the footy. Far too often an Adelaide player won it in close and then fed it outside where 3 or 4 Adelaide players were waiting. All their Magpies opponents were getting sucked into the contest and leaving their opponents outside and ready to break. Our midfield coach has work to do.

Top call! i have been saying this for 2 years, Too many commit and don't understand when to go in and when to stay out, this is a trend and the reason why we get killed out of the contest, it is also the reason why there is no run and spread.

Those players stand flat footed and just handball the ball to each other within a meter radius trying to free up space while the opposition sags 30 to 50 meters behind the contest waiting for a pressured kick.
Happens every single week.

Keeffe is just one of those players who is continually over rated. Yes he is tall and agile, and obviously must be impressive in and around the club given he is in the leadership group, but does not have a great football brain. He is one player I would be willing to trade if we could redeem anyhting for him, but that seems highly unlikely.

But he is in the Leadership Groupo_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Back