About time WA clubs used the go home factor

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency is one thing, but in terms of trading, Freo and Ross Lyon are an absolute pain in the arse to deal with and West Coast really haven't got any decent trade assets if they wanted to snag a big name (from GC or GWS)

The harsh reality is that both Perth clubs are pretty much unlikely to snag any big name interstate club recruit anytime soon...

Don't want to go back and forth here but I can't imagine Mick and Carlton being easy to deal with - far from it!

Don't want to go back and forth here but I can't imagine Mick and Carlton being easy to deal with - far from it!

Hmm, not sure about that, we have gotten several trades done since Mick came to the club (not big names, but at least enough to show we can be reasonable traders)

I am convinced Harry Taylor did agree to join Freo a couple of years ago, but changed his mind when he was told that a trade to the Freo would be basically impossible...

Ross Lyon is the 2nd best coach in the league after Clarko, but I feel his stubborn and conservative nature in trading is holding Freo back somewhat ..

I don't think we are hard to deal with. Traded a player we desperately wanted to keep in Viv Michie for a packet of chips, Delisted Roberton even though we wanted to keep him, so he could be picked up as a delisted free agent. Wouldn't pay overs for Mitch Clark which I thinks fair enough, he's barely gotten on the park since he moved.

Hmm, not sure about that, we have gotten several trades done since Mick came to the club (not big names, but at least enough to show we can be reasonable traders)

I am convinced Harry Taylor did agree to join Freo a couple of years ago, but changed his mind when he was told that a trade to the Freo would be basically impossible...

Ross Lyon is the 2nd best coach in the league after Clarko, but I feel his stubborn and conservative nature in trading is holding Freo back somewhat ..
Well it's a good thing he isn't the list manager then.

I don't think we are hard to deal with. Traded a player we desperately wanted to keep in Viv Michie for a packet of chips, Delisted Roberton even though we wanted to keep him, so he could be picked up as a delisted free agent. Wouldn't pay overs for Mitch Clark which I thinks fair enough, he's barely gotten on the park since he moved.

Moved to Geelong or are you referring to a move prior to this?

GO Catters

To trade you must have the picks and with only two teams it's difficult to have the other team want. In Victoria their is 10 teams and it's more likely to have a team with picks eg Boyd going to the doggies. If Boyd want to go Freo or Wet Toast either team wouldn't have had the picks. With current trading rules that a player can not agreed to a trade, it makes it impossible to get someone of value.

By the way people, Lyons doesn't control list management but Chris Bond does. Fremantle is well resourced club compared to when Lyons was at St Kilda, please don't think it is the same situation.

As for Taylor not wanting to go to Freo because of Freo's unwillingness to offer a decent trade. Seems like crap to me. At the time Cats were gunning for a flag and Freo weren't in the hunt for a flag. Taylor would have to be crazy to leave.

Surprised the Bombers still have him on their list.
A combination of lack of recent tall options to replace him, hope that he can get over injuries and rediscover his early (as in 5 years ago) form and someone foolishly giving him a 2 year contract in 2013.

Think westcoast should be more worried about retaining Scott selwood Luke sheuy and Andrew Gaff. If they don't have a good year I can see the Vic clubs circling already.

I believe the Selwood Xmas lunch and subsequent after lunch activities were followed by a certain discussion regarding Scooter.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think westcoast should be more worried about retaining Scott selwood Luke sheuy and Andrew Gaff. If they don't have a good year I can see the Vic clubs circling already.
Shuey and gaff just signed new contracts last year till 2017+ not that it means much these days but they must be happy to stay at the moment .
You can have selwood just give us another 2 first rounders and your next josh Kennedy please ;)

The fact of the matter is these guys are young men in their 20s, and Melbourne is just a much more fun city to live in if you're a 20 something footballer.

Perth is great though, especially in the last 5 years as people have said, and is actually turning into a mini-Melbourne with all the alleyway bars and pop-up places and hipster stuff. Plus all the random festivals and young people starting to actually live in the city as opposed to the suburbs. But at the end of the day it's going to be more fun living in Melbourne than a mini-Melbourne

Other than being close to home everyone has different motivations for wanting to live in different cities.

Some players want to be big fish in a small pond, others want to be in the biggest pond, others want to be in a pond where people don't go fishing etc.

I reckon more players from the East have been drafted to WC then decided to stay in Perth after they retire than have requested trades back to Victoria.

Buddy used free agency but there was no go home factor. Vic clubs are sweating on Dangerfield, so its pleasing to see the WA clubs getting in for their chop.

All-Australian defender Alex Rance is the latest big man target in Fremantle’s now annual assault to win a ready-made key position replacement for veteran superstars Matthew Pavlich and Luke McPharlin.

Rance, out of contract with Richmond at the end of the season, continues to delay talks on a new deal, leaving the full-back open to approaches from Dockers management to consider a move back to his home state after six seasons and 107 games at the Tigers.

Jaeger O’Meara, Harley Bennell, David Swallow, Brandon Matera and Jack Martin at the Suns as well as Stephen Coniglio with Greater Western Sydney are all expected to be headhunted to return home.

Versatile Essendon duo Cale Hooker and Tayte Pears are others on the radar for tempting lures to return west along with Brisbane midfielder Daniel Rich and Hawthorn’s Bradley Hill.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/eastern-states-afl-clubs-brace-for-west-coast-eagles-fremantle-dockers-player-raids/story-fniv64vs-1227188147495#itm=newscomau|sport|ncam-story-body-link|5|http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/eastern-states-afl-clubs-brace-for-west-coast-eagles-fremantle-dockers-player-raids/story-fniv64vs-1227188147495|story|Eagles, Dockers ready to raid the east&itmt=1421730063210

One football operations boss said contracts would not be a barrier after last season.

“You don’t worry about contracts, they mean nothing anymore,” he said.

That was evidenced at last year’s unsavoury trade period when a host of players still in contract switched clubs.

Good news if you are a Dockers or Eagles fan, but both need on field success to lure good players home.

I guess with that lot you would be happy with changing FA to 6 and 8 years? GC better start playing finals or they will really start seeing the "the jailhouse , soap in the shower" effect

The fact of the matter is these guys are young men in their 20s, and Melbourne is just a much more fun city to live in if you're a 20 something footballer.

It would be the plane flight across the country every second week that would put a lot of players off moving over, not because Melbourne is some 'paradise' in comparison to live in lol.

To trade you must have the picks and with only two teams it's difficult to have the other team want. In Victoria their is 10 teams and it's more likely to have a team with picks eg Boyd going to the doggies. If Boyd want to go Freo or Wet Toast either team wouldn't have had the picks. With current trading rules that a player can not agreed to a trade, it makes it impossible to get someone of value.

By the way people, Lyons doesn't control list management but Chris Bond does. Fremantle is well resourced club compared to when Lyons was at St Kilda, please don't think it is the same situation.

As for Taylor not wanting to go to Freo because of Freo's unwillingness to offer a decent trade. Seems like crap to me. At the time Cats were gunning for a flag and Freo weren't in the hunt for a flag. Taylor would have to be crazy to leave.

Its crap alright. Taylor and his Wife with their young family would definitely have strongly considered heading back to WA as they have family support there. The reality is Taylor is extremely loyal and loves playing at the Cats. Taylor not heading to Freo because Freo would not come up with a suitable trade is absolute rubbish. Geelong are notoriously easy to deal with at the trade table. If Taylor wanted Freo, he'd be playing at Freo. Even if he was desperate to go home, he could have been traded to West Coast. Geelong have been, and will continue to be approachable at the trade table..

Its crap alright. Taylor and his Wife with their young family would definitely have strongly considered heading back to WA as they have family support there. The reality is Taylor is extremely loyal and loves playing at the Cats. Taylor not heading to Freo because Freo would not come up with a suitable trade is absolute rubbish. Geelong are notoriously easy to deal with at the trade table. If Taylor wanted Freo, he'd be playing at Freo. Even if he was desperate to go home, he could have been traded to West Coast. Geelong have been, and will continue to be approachable at the trade table..

I agree. Some people just want to hate Fremantle and especially Lyons, and make up stuff. Taylor wanted to stay at Geelong (good winning culture) but got good offer from the dockers and so he looked at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back