News Adelaide Oval Redevelopment - Thunderbirds Are Go

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard ACC councilor Anne Moran on radio this morning say that she requested that Makaris Group turn the place into a temporary parking lot for business people on game day so that they and their staff have somewhere to park if they aren't going to build on the lot. Sounds like the Makaris group said get stuffed.

But Con Makris got state goverment approval in late May 2010 to go ahead and so far he hasn't spent a cent.

Why would businesses need an extra car park on game days when her council's parking restrictions prevent any football fans parking in North Adelaide?

I heard ACC councilor Anne Moran on radio this morning say that she requested that Makaris Group turn the place into a temporary parking lot for business people on game day so that they and their staff have somewhere to park if they aren't going to build on the lot. Sounds like the Makaris group said get stuffed.
Meh. The real issue with businesses opening on game day is, although we've finally got an oval not in the 1950's, penalty rates are still stuck there. The State Government should waive them applying within walking distance of Adelaide Oval on match days / nights, so businesses will open up. Amazingly experiences interstate show that god will not strike down his vengeance upon a state for daring to think not everyone goes to church on a Sunday morning anymore. :D

Why would businesses need an extra car park on game days when her council's parking restrictions prevent any football fans parking in North Adelaide?

Because the all day free ones further away from O'Connell St strip are taken up by footy fans so the workers can't park there any more if they get there late. But when the ACC work that out, they will clamp down on those parking area.

Last edited:

Actually it's infinitely better for the simple reason that the club didn't come up with it.

Yep just like the media started calling the Gabba the Gabbabattoir after the Lions only lost about 3 games out 40, this is a media invention and they will run with it as long as they reckon its fits. Once the Lions started losing plenty of games at the Gabba, the Gabbabattoir was dropped.

Not true, but speaking as a North Adelaide resident I agree with your sentiments ;)

For one thing the two-hour exclusion zone doesn't reach Gover street which is a 15 minute walk from the north. The IGA and the Village on O'Connell St have had private parking for some time and the Village started enforcing it about six months or more ago. I've turned up just about start time to both our games and not noticed any more cars parked in the general Welly Sq-O'Connell St area. I can't speak for the Melbourne St area because I'm not wandering in from that way on game days but I've seen a fair few Crowbots looking lost and parking further out on War Memorial Drive when I've been out running the Uni loop like a bloody rat in a cage. So IMO it's been a complete non-issue for locals, but there are always ambit claimants, fruit bats, and, you know, people who can't run a business to save their latte and are looking for something external to blame.

Not true, but speaking as a North Adelaide resident I agree with your sentiments ;)

For the Brisbane game I parked for about 6 hours at the end of Stanley Street where it turns into Brougham Place near the Children's and Women's Hospital.

..... So IMO it's been a complete non-issue for locals, but there are always ambit claimants, fruit bats, and, you know, people who can't run a business to save their latte and are looking for something external to blame.

:D I'm gonna use that fruit bats description.

Outside of some disgruntled Cows fans is there anyone, whether they support Port or not, whose been that hasn't been blown away with how good Adelaide Oval is? The old fogies (hello Anne Moran) in North Adelaide should be banned from any decision making.

Now he's delivered us Adelaide Oval though, I have a REAL challenge for Casual Keith. Get something, ANYTHING, built on the old Le Cornu's site. If he can do that I'd say he's got more supernatural powers than Jesus, Moses and the Holy Ghost put together.
Funny you mention that I was having a chat with a nice couple on the bus home that were there for the big game, he was a long time Port supporter & his missus went for the Dogs but is being converted by our exciting footy & young list.

They don't get much time free as they've got a really young family but I convinced him they should get a family membership because this is a club going places & he agreed saying he'll be looking into it as it's cheaper than going GA all the time.

Anyway one of the topics of the convo was they lived in Melb/Sydney for 10 years before moving back to SA. He said not a lot but enough has changed to make Adelaide look like it's moving forward without losing it's charm.. Apart from the old Le Cornu's that should be converted for parking.

They both loved the ground, atmosphere & entertainment provided by the clubs performance, glad I did my part to market the club might've got 5 extra memberships sold lol.

The clairvoyant was testing the scoreboard today. Plus they must have tested the siren about 30 times. Not quiet the same as the Footy Park one. Wouldn't be surprised if its not heard if we win by a point.

View attachment 48865

Well we didn't win by a point but I didn't hear it a couple of times on Sunday.

... but I didn't hear it a couple of times on Sunday.

They need to sort it out quicksmart.

Couldn't hear it in the immediate aftermath of Polec2Schulz at 3QT of the Showdown and no-one could hear it at half-time of the Geelong game. Of all the things to get wrong with a new stadium an adequate siren should not be one of them.

They need to sort it out quicksmart.

Couldn't hear it in the immediate aftermath of Polec2Schulz at 3QT of the Showdown and no-one could hear it at half-time of the Geelong game. Of all the things to get wrong with a new stadium an adequate siren should not be one of them.

It sounds like there was a general PA system problem Sunday. Lots of people saying things about a few other things.

Spiderbait's Black Betty 15-20 second grab after the ANZAC ceremony was pretty loud. I wonder if they turned the sound down after that.

Anyone notice the Crows have thrown a splash of Blue and Red paint on their race.

Everything they're doing screams 'me-too' lately....

Nope but they should have bloody done that the day after the Geof Motley race went up rather than whinge about ours and asking us to take it down for their games. Why aren't they honouring a bloody champion like Ben Hart rather than whinge???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone notice the Crows have thrown a splash of Blue and Red paint on their race.

Everything they're doing screams 'me-too' lately....

What do you mean "lately"?

I recently caught up with a mate who works at the Oval. He's a Richmond supporter and in asking if I wanted a good laugh let me down the Cows race (felt dirty). There is a blue stencil at the final turn with a picture of a big crow and underneath it says (wait for it)

PLAY LIKE A CROW

There is a blue stencil at the final turn with a picture of a big crow and underneath it says (wait for it)

PLAY LIKE A CROW
They do though. They shy away when anyone comes near. And mostly feast when the opposition is already dead. :p

So apparently Slops has to stand through the entire match because the home coaches box has some 'double pane of glass' that is 'distorting his view'. Funny, I don't see Hinkley getting out of his chair...the only coaches I've ever seen do that are ones that are losing. Now the Crow fans are calling for this so-called problem to be fixed. :rolleyes:

Memo to Sanderson - your view of your playing list is already distorted. What harm is double glazing going to do?

So apparently Slops has to stand through the entire match because the home coaches box has some 'double pane of glass' that is 'distorting his view'. Funny, I don't see Hinkley getting out of his chair...the only coaches I've ever seen do that are ones that are losing. Now the Crow fans are calling for this so-called problem to be fixed. :rolleyes:

Memo to Sanderson - your view of your playing list is already distorted. What harm is double glazing going to do?

Maybe it's the Rose Coloured Glasses that are hindering Sand Hoe more than the panes of glass in front of him.

Everything's fine, nothing to see here.

Here's his presser from the weekend

What do you mean "lately"?

I recently caught up with a mate who works at the Oval. He's a Richmond supporter and in asking if I wanted a good laugh let me down the Cows race (felt dirty). There is a blue stencil at the final turn with a picture of a big crow and underneath it says (wait for it)

PLAY LIKE A CROW

Photos or it didn't happen!

I think his issue can be cured with 'anusol'.

Attachments

• upload_2014-5-7_16-52-0.png
    upload_2014-5-7_16-52-0.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 10
  • upload_2014-5-7_16-52-56.png
    upload_2014-5-7_16-52-56.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back