Preview AFL 2nd Semi Final - Geelong v Port Adelaide, MCG, 7:50PM Friday 13 September

Predict the margin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This season is unfolding like 2010. Tight loss to Rossy Lyon in week one, soft finals win in week two. Utter humiliation in prelim final.

oh well, could be worse — by the time brisbane had come this far after their first flag they had a list consisting of rubble, and managed 9 wins for the season.

if we make it to the PF — humiliation or no humiliation — i would be very proud. same if port knock us out next week, actually.

remember the '09 1 point win against hawthorn... scarlett and taylor gone, 5 goals down.

this team hates to lose (almost as much as the supporters on this board... almost). we will give port a shake, and if we cant beat them — bad luck to us, and great luck to them. they would have earnt it.

been a terrific season regardless how it ends.

Reasonably confident going into this game. We hate losing and always respond the following week when one of occurs.

Ins: J Hunt, T Hunt (should be GHS but won't), Hawkins (fitness pending) or West

Outs: Enright, Caddy, Walker

Goodluck Friday night guys wont be able to make it over this weekend due to money, and the fact I lost a fair bit at the Crows yesterday :p

Ill be upset if we lose Friday night but I wont be overly disappointed because we've achieved so much more than anyone thought we would this year.

Who do you guys think will go to Wines and Wingard?

there will be so many free tickets in our game
less than 35k will be there
given the pies struggled to get 50k

Show Port some respect or this will be the most embarassing year since 2006.

They are more than handy, as their ladder position confirms, and they have absolutely nothing to lose. They will be full tilt and will be very hard to put away.

As a Port person the mere mention of Geelong sends shivers up one's spine, your throat drops into your stomach and hour upon hour of mental scarring rips open as raw as the days it was inflicted.

But...

We have to have learned something, right? Especially after two awfully similar beatings already this year.

Surely we've worked out how to counter some of your typically devastating run and carry or at least have hired a cherry picker to partially stifle Podkins?

The worm must turn eventually. Granted it's unlikely it will be Friday night, but it will one day.

Goodluck Friday night guys wont be able to make it over this weekend due to money, and the fact I lost a fair bit at the Crows yesterday :p

Ill be upset if we lose Friday night but I wont be overly disappointed because we've achieved so much more than anyone thought we would this year.

Who do you guys think will go to Wines and Wingard?

Wines I'm not concerned about, we should never go hunting a bloke who at the moment is your 4th best midfielder (which is a credit to how good his first season has been).

Wingard is a huge concern, but it's gotta be Guthrie. He's been in great form and has given his opponents no room in recent weeks. Monfries will be taken by Josh Hunt, who can hopefully contain him somewhat. No midfield tags, but I'd like Corey to stay close to Boak at stoppages.

Show Port some respect or this will be the most embarassing year since 2006.

They are more than handy, as their ladder position confirms, and they have absolutely nothing to lose. They will be full tilt and will be very hard to put away.

absolutely, I think Port are only starting to realise their own potential, their midfield has class and also the kind of 'run and spread' that can worry us.

we knocked them over twice in the H&A season but they played smart football against the Pies and they run run run.

Out : Enright, Caddy, Vardy, Walker
In : J. Hunt, T. Hunt, S. Kersten, T. West

If Kelly is injured bring in GHS.

Wines I'm not concerned about, we should never go hunting a bloke who at the moment is your 4th best midfielder (which is a credit to how good his first season has been).

Wingard is a huge concern, but it's gotta be Guthrie. He's been in great form and has given his opponents no room in recent weeks. Monfries will be taken by Josh Hunt, who can hopefully contain him somewhat. No midfield tags, but I'd like Corey to stay close to Boak at stoppages.
As always, the best defence will be making sure that quality ball going into Port's forward line is a rare thing.

Which means we must at least be competitive in the centre square, and must apply defensive pressure over the whole ground.

You can't rely on the last line of defence to stop goals any more. Footy doesn't work like that in the 2010s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

absolutely, I think Port are only starting to realise their own potential, their midfield has class and also the kind of 'run and spread' that can worry us.

When the penny really drops in a year or two... LOOK OUT!

Teams with enforcers win flags.
Crowley
Guerra, Sewell
We are too nice now- the overhanging points is stifling our natural aggression , as it should. Playing too close to the edge has cost us in more ways than one.
Not sure I see Sewell was an enforcer. Anyhow, don't need an enforcer just a good lock down player à la Linga. We don't have one regrettably.

Not sure I see Sewell was an enforcer. Anyhow, don't need an enforcer just a good lock down player à la Linga. We don't have one regrettably.

I still think our best bet is to play Bartel forward and that way it at least, in part, makes Hodge or the Hoff somewhat accountable. And locks them down.

I still think our best bet is to play Bartel forward and that way it at least, in part, makes Hodge or the Hoff somewhat accountable. And locks them down.
Haven't got to thinking that far in advance. However we do need to make Hodge accountable if we get that far. Thought Jimmeh was our best player on Saturday so would be reluctant to rob Peter to pay Paul.

Been meaning to ask. Your user name is singular. Does that mean...... Nah forget it.:D

Haven't got to thinking that far in advance. However we do need to make Hodge accountable if we get that far. Thought Jimmeh was our best player on Saturday so would be reluctant to rob Peter to pay Paul.

Been meaning to ask. Your user name is singular. Does that mean...... Nah forget it.:D

Haha I wanted manboobies but it was taken. I was having this selfsame conversation with bigfarter about our usernames which in hindsight we would probably both change. But stuff it I am stuck with it so i'll keep up the charade of crying Riewoldt, Chelsea Manning, and erect Carlos Danger avatars. Go hard or go home.

As regards Bartel, I am getting ahead of myself but the tenet still holds: we need a decent midsize forward who can make the backmen accountable.

I am still not convinced of the midfield being the best place for Stevie J. I think structurally he adds more value in the forward line. I am probably in the minority here.

The Rucks weren't bad enough to drop one, were they? Do people forget we were up against Sandilands? If anything, I'd bring one in...

West in for Walker, Vards up forward.

The Rucks weren't bad enough to drop one, were they? Do people forget we were up against Sandilands? If anything, I'd bring one in...

West in for Walker, Vards up forward.

I'll allow it. Vardy is permanent forward and this ruck experiment has shades of the Hawkins bullshit that went on all those years ago.

Haha I wanted manboobies but it was taken. I was having this selfsame conversation with bigfarter about our usernames which in hindsight we would probably both change. But stuff it I am stuck with it
You're not stuck with it. All you have to do is message a mod and they can change your username for you. It happens all the time.

I changed mine last week - started using the forum properly after about a year of just observing - thought my name should change accordingly.
You're not stuck with it. All you have to do is message a mod and they can change your username for you. It happens all the time.

IN: West, T. Hunt, Murdoch and J. Hunt
OUT: Walker, Rivers, Caddy and Enright

If we are to win the premiership this year, we need a ruckman with some experience. At the moment, that's West. I've been critical of him all year and everyone knows he won't be at Geelong next year. But his 50 games, finals experience and hit-out average are better than Vardy, Blitz and Walker's stats as ruckmen. Blitz was our most yesterday with just 7 hit-outs! Vardy to play full forward unless Hawkins comes up. Walker isn't up to finals.

J. Hunt for Enright should just happen. If Caddy's injury is bad, then Murdoch should come in and play as the sub. Chappy as sub, in his 250th, was a poor decision. Just trying to push him out the door I think.

I've said T. Hunt in for Rivers because we need a tagger. T. Hunt's our best at the moment. He needs to sit on one of Boak or Ebert. Rivers played pretty well yesterday, and has been good since returning to the ones. But Port don't really have a 3rd tall forward from what I saw last night. And they're a quick team, we can't play too many talls.

B: J. Hunt, Lonergan, Mackie
HB: Bartel, Taylor, Guthrie
C: Stokes, Corey, Duncan
HF: Johnson, Podsiadly, Christensen
F: Motlop, Vardy, Chapman
R: West, Selwood, Kelly

Int: Blicavs, T. Hunt, Varcoe
Sub: Murdoch

Emg: Rivers, Horlin-Smith and Walker

Disagree. Caddy plays inside and Murdoch is outside. Hypen for Caddy is a like for like. WE have Mots,Bundy, Stokes and Tv outside. We dont need another to clear the ball,we need another to get it.

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back