Preview Round 22: Collingwood vs Geelong, Friday 11 August 7:50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong supporter who doesnt read a lot of news.

Whats the deal with Menegola? Is he injured again or playing badly in the seconds or something?

Whats the deal with Jhye Clark? How much longer is he injured for?

With Blivavs and Guthrie out, do we have a plan to fix these issues apart from Parfitt=sub?

dazbroncos is going to be in a very good mood tonight
streaking will ferrell GIF

Oh yeah!!!!

GO Catters

ps - about ******* time I might add.

Whats the deal with Menegola? Is he injured again or playing badly in the seconds or something?

With Blivavs and Guthrie out, do we have a plan to fix these issues apart from Parfitt=sub?
Menegola is just the past rather than the future - as a 31yo, to get a game ahead of a 19yo Knevitt and a 25yo Parfitt, you need to be quite a bit better and he isn’t.

Clark is out with a foot thingy.

I don't think there's anything too be gained by bringing Clark back at this stage - rather make sure he's right to go for day 1 of pre-season

As for Menegola - thinking it's just a good indication of where he sits in the order. He's never been the quickest, but he's looking slower than previously, and while he's starting to get his hands on the ball in the VFL, the question is where does he fit in in the seniors. Menegola's at his best on the wing, and that's where we're currently utilising Holmes, Smith & Tuohy - does he offer more than any of them or is he a break glass option now?

I havent basically watched 1 second of him

Is he a good overhead mark - like 1 grab ?

Is he a good kick ?
Hes a very natural kick for goal... solid drop punt from long range.

Good mark on the lead, can double grab but weakest at contested stuff... but he does get them sometimes.
Good below his knees and will chase and tackle in F50 - hes' not Rohan of course but at 203... will get on his knees and follow up.

He'll needs his best game to break even on the Pies back 6

GO Catters

Good mark on the lead, can double grab but weakest at contested stuff... but he does get them sometimes.
Good below his knees and will chase and tackle in F50 - hes' not Rohan of course but at 203... will get on his knees and follow up.

GO Catters

Good call. We need to temper our expectations and not let ourselves get too carried away with the excitement......

Hopefully he can provide a contest if nothing else. Keeping Moore busy with his leads will help open the forward line up for Henry, Stengle & Co, as will the ball being brought to ground for Close etc to pounce on.

GO Catters

I remember the VFL game we watched last year, I think Neale may have kicked 3 goals

Watching him he just looked like a natural footballer and that if he was given opportunities & time, he has the type of game which should allow him to adapt to senior level - plus, love his energy & celebrations

We know he's tall at 203cm but not exactly big muscular wise at this stage, but could see he understood the play in front of him, read the play of the ball and how to protect the drop zone whether leading to the ball or if stopping & marking the ball in the space behind the contest

I'm excited to see what he can offer & how he competes

Surely 10 goals isn't out of the question 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember the VFL game we watched last year, I think Neale may have kicked 3 goals

Watching him he just looked like a natural footballer and that if he was given opportunities & time, he has the type of game which should allow him to adapt to senior level - plus, love his energy & celebrations

We know he's tall at 203cm but not exactly big muscular wise at this stage, but could see he understood the play in front of him, read the play of the ball and how to protect the drop zone whether leading to the ball or if stopping & marking the ball in the space behind the contest

I'm excited to see what he can offer & how he competes

Surely 10 goals isn't out of the question 😉
How far away from being able to compete week in week out in terms of his size atm? How much weight will he need to put on?

In my opinion this is a big game - and important game for Max Holmes

Geel have very rarely played 4 qtrs all year - and i can understand with the older players 32-34 its pretty hard to do that - and added to that - watching Rohan last week - he was playing under duress

However Holmes - he hasnt got an excuse in the world - no more dissappearing acts from Maxy in qtrs or halves

He needs to play 4 good consistent qtrs in a must win game for Geel - no slashings 1st halves - and then barely a possession after h/time - at his age there is no excuse for doing that

Geel have very rarely played 4 qtrs all year - and i can understand with the older players 32-34 its pretty hard to do that - and added to that - watching Rohan last week - he was playing under duress

However Holmes - he hasnt got an excuse in the world - no more dissappearing acts from Maxy in qtrs or halves

He needs to play 4 good consistent qtrs in a must win game for Geel - no slashings 1st halves - and then barely a possession after h/time - at his age there is no excuse for doing that
He’s been good at times , last game he was very good imo but at this stage he has been played away from his natural position …with Smith retirement next year I can see Max cementing the wing position permanently

Let's not forget he's played 48 games of AFL football.

How far away from being able to compete week in week out in terms of his size atm? How much weight will he need to put on?

He's listed at 100kg, so far from a stick but maybe a little more strength across the upper chest/shoulder area which may assist him in those more contested/pack situations

Obviously not wanting him to stack on 10kg and be carrying too much weight, or anything crazy - don't think he's too far off for where he's at in the early stages of his career though

1691652924688.jpeg

Size wise he’d be no different than the king brothers, who have obviously shown an ability to get it done at AFL level.

Will obviously get better with time, and don’t want to set expectations too high, but no reason he can’t contribute at least right now

He's listed at 100kg, so far from a stick but maybe a little more strength across the upper chest/shoulder area which may assist him in those more contested/pack situations

Obviously not wanting him to stack on 10kg and be carrying too much weight, or anything crazy - don't think he's too far off for where he's at in the early stages of his career though

View attachment 1770008
I think in the case of Neale he needs to learn to use his size more than put on a heap.

Keeping it simple

CATS

B: J.Kolodjashnij, E.Ratugolea, J.Bowes

HB: Z.Guthrie, S.De Koning, T.Stewart

C: M.Duncan, T.Bruhn, I.Smith

HF: G.Miers, J.Cameron, O.Henry

F: B.Close, S.Neale, T.Stengle

FOLL: R.Stanley, P.Dangerfield - C, T.Atkins

I/C: M.O’Connor, M.Holmes, Z.Tuohy, G.Rohan

EMG: B.Parfitt, O.Mullin, S.Menegola, J.Bews

In: S.Neale

Out: J.Henry (Injured), B.Parfitt (Sub)