Preview Round 22: Collingwood vs Geelong, Friday 11 August 7:50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, I think Rioli lost him in traffic in the pack. But Bowes was in a better place to spoil. It was an incredibly obvious free kick from Stanley.

I have no idea what Stanley was thinking & I’m not sure what the Geelong faithful was complaining about after it was paid - I watched the kick off the boot & could tell at that moment what Stanley was about to do which I have no idea why other than frustration

I only looked who was on the end of the kick after the free had already been paid so I missed what happened in the cross over

I have a sneaking suspicion that the last small defender slot now comes down to Bews vs Bowes.
I agree. And I think Bews would need to be demonstrably better to displace Bowes as Bowes offers more flexibility (forward, mid). So unless MC believes Bews is a far better defensive options I think they stick with Bowes?

You probably are right but I hope it is not Neale. Subbing out a young player I think does more damage (to confidence) than not playing them. I actually hope they leave Neale in for a 3 block go at it - but suspect he will make way for Hawke next week

Neale isnt ready. Hes only playing bc hawk is out and rohan is under a cloud. Play 3/4 then sub him.

I agree. And I think Bews would need to be demonstrably better to displace Bowes as Bowes offers more flexibility (forward, mid). So unless MC believes Bews is a far better defensive options I think they stick with Bowes?
Bews is a good stopper. Old style, but his opponents rarely get off the chain.
He has proven his ability to check those annoying ‘pop up‘ goal kickers and, if fit, I think he still has some cachet with the selectors.
Who gets left out? Not sure.

Id have preferred we go small than play Neale in all honesty, just dont think he's remotely AFL standard at this point, kicks the odd bag on rubbish VFL opposition but otherwise looks exceedingly average and think the Pies back 6 will make him look silly.

We looked Dangerous allowing Ollie to attack the footy as the second forward didn't particularly see a need to change that until Hawk was fully fit again.

Id have preferred we go small than play Neale in all honesty, just dont think he's remotely AFL standard at this point, kicks the odd bag on rubbish VFL opposition but otherwise looks exceedingly average and think the Pies back 6 will make him look silly.

We looked Dangerous allowing Ollie to attack the footy as the second forward didn't particularly see a need to change that until Hawk was fully fit again.
Ollie did impress me but I also wouldn't mind seeing Neale. I want to see him with afl players delivering it to him

They don't want to see a Harris Andrews situation, where they zone a KPD off Henry like he isn't there. Almost want to ask Neale to stand Moore for as long as he can with the aim to bring the ball to ground.

Unknown-8.jpeg

Wish Shannon all the best but all let not expect anything more than him to play his role

I think a few of us might have liked a different opponent ..perhaps at KP. .. being brought in against the top side coming off 2 losses and ready to eat meat raw is no easy gift

.... but the afl doesn't gift many chances ..and you take the one you are given and make the best of it..

So lets just be excited but do not get overly hyped or upset on the outcome. Just look for little hints .. If Shannon can do something to draw attention away from Cameron he will have done his job.

For those that have not seen him ...he generally has a reasonable leap but not always a great mark..but can grab them. Id say good to better than average kick at goal. Once he gets to the stage of being comfortable..id expect him to kick 2 out 3 shots at goal...id not expect that till he has played a few game... and this will be a very big different game for him.

They don't want to see a Harris Andrews situation, where they zone a KPD off Henry like he isn't there. Almost want to ask Neale to stand Moore for as long as he can with the aim to bring the ball to ground.
Dixon kind of did this against the Pies. I was about 6 rows back in the stands and it was clear as day he wasn't intending to mark any entries. He was volleyball hitting them out the back of the contest if it was high and putting directly to ground in front of him if it was low. Felt like the whole pies backline was suddenly a shambles at ground level.

To replicate Neale will need to get the dukes out and not try to chest mark everything and he'll need more ground level support.

Right.
And at 203cm and 101kg of man mountain Neale will add some heavyweight heft and shove at the very least.
I put up a pic this past week- Cameron, Rohan, Close & Henry rooted to the ground and blocked like feathers with two Port defenders gaining space for a certain mark. So let Neale bring the hustle and disruption like we've allowed pack crashing Sav all this time and that will be something.

Also: it would be against the pies wouldn't it. sell out and won't be able to hear himself baptism of fire.

Dixon kind of did this against the Pies. I was about 6 rows back in the stands and it was clear as day he wasn't intending to mark any entries. He was volleyball hitting them out the back of the contest if it was high and putting directly to ground in front of him if it was low. Felt like the whole pies backline was suddenly a shambles at ground level.

To replicate Neale will need to get the dukes out and not try to chest mark everything and he'll need more ground level support.

That's the way to do it - Collingwood's defence is quite aerially directed - weight of numbers competing. Just get it to ground and away from the pack - Close, Stengle, Miers etc should feast.

The games where teams have got the Pies, or in Port and Croms case nearly got them, its not allowing Murphy and Moore to intercept and rebound off half back. Its crucial we get the ball on the deck, but its also crucial that our f50 entries are in quick before the Pies are able to set up behind the ball. Teams that are getting the Pies are hitting them quickly.

That's the way to do it - Collingwood's defence is quite aerially directed - weight of numbers competing. Just get it to ground and away from the pack - Close, Stengle, Miers etc should feast.

I think that snotty nosed little Elliot patrols around there too. No match for our assist King though ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The games where teams have got the Pies, or in Port and Croms case nearly got them, its not allowing Murphy and Moore to intercept and rebound off half back. Its crucial we get the ball on the deck, but its also crucial that our f50 entries are in quick before the Pies are able to set up behind the ball. Teams that are getting the Pies are hitting them quickly.

I'd be surprised if Murphy wasn't a late out

Moore is going to zone off all game anyway, especially when theyve named Howe,Murphy and Frampton all in the same side.

I'd be surprised if Murphy wasn't a late out

The pies board talked about him being injured so must have made a Lazarus. Apparently Mc Stay was smashed up badly by Sicily too. Mitchell led Hawks, are only losers but good enough to cripple and occasionally * up everyone else's year.

The pies board talked about him being injured so must have made a Lazarus. Apparently Mc Stay was smashed up badly by Sicily too. Mitchell led Hawks, are only losers but good enough to cripple and occasionally * up everyone else's year.

McStay out with soreness would probably help too!

Ah well, we'll know in 18 hours or so

You'll need to actually point that out (Mini-Match: Geelong v Port Adelaide)
What, you didn’t notice?
If Kolo is short passing, switching or heaven forbid, trying a kick into
the corridor, he has an amazing ability to turn it over.
Whenever he has the ball I am screaming, “long down the line,”
because I know what’s coming a big percentage of the time if he
doesn’t. It should be a rule for him to go long down the line always.

What, you didn’t notice?
If Kolo is short passing, switching or heaven forbid, trying a kick into
the corridor, he has an amazing ability to turn it over.
Whenever he has the ball I am screaming, “long down the line,”
because I know what’s coming a big percentage of the time if he
doesn’t. It should be a rule for him to go long down the line always.
Yep, which is what Sav rightly does and people complain.

View attachment 1770426

Wish Shannon all the best but all let not expect anything more than him to play his role

I think a few of us might have liked a different opponent ..perhaps at KP. .. being brought in against the top side coming off 2 losses and ready to eat meat raw is no easy gift

.... but the afl doesn't gift many chances ..and you take the one you are given and make the best of it..

So lets just be excited but do not get overly hyped or upset on the outcome. Just look for little hints .. If Shannon can do something to draw attention away from Cameron he will have done his job.

For those that have not seen him ...he generally has a reasonable leap but not always a great mark..but can grab them. Id say good to better than average kick at goal. Once he gets to the stage of being comfortable..id expect him to kick 2 out 3 shots at goal...id not expect that till he has played a few game... and this will be a very big different game for him.
the bolded is perfect.

GO Catters

Maybe. It wouldn't be a huge surprise to see us go down by 6 goals. I'd be surprised if we got thumped by 10+ though.
Take a look at the midfield rotations. It's bare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back