Preview Round 22: Collingwood vs Geelong, Friday 11 August 7:50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How Bews didnt come in is beyond me, just asking for their smalls to tear us a new one.

A good indication he isn't fit and ready for a senior recall - hopefully he shows more in the VFL this week than he did in his previous outing

One of O’Connor or Tuohy had to go out for Parfitt or even Menengola (also a ball winner), they could’ve then been sub themselves

Tuohy is the one I would have had make way for Parfitt

And then shift O'Connor to defence in place of Bews

The game hasn't even started and poor Shannon is getting subbed out.

I'll let him know that he does nothing for the first 3 quarters and forget about driving to the game.

We usually sub out a tall, or a veteran if we’re winning. I expect it will be a close game so we’re subbing a tall.

It’s not going to be SDK, Cameron or Stanley.

So it’s either Sav or Neale. Neale seems the obvious choice but I could be wrong.

Tuohy is the one I would have had make way for Parfitt

And then shift O'Connor to defence in place of Bews

Yes I feel Parfitt is good in traffic, bustling it forward, Touhy is slightly off, and Pies midfield is definitely down. Could have been above a leveller. Surprised he's not sub again, he's up and down like a yoyo. Still they would have given the structure heaps of thought so must believe they've got the right horses for courses.

We usually sub out a tall, or a veteran if we’re winning. I expect it will be a close game so we’re subbing a tall.

It’s not going to be SDK, Cameron or Stanley.

So it’s either Sav or Neale. Neale seems the obvious choice but I could be wrong.
You probably are right but I hope it is not Neale. Subbing out a young player I think does more damage (to confidence) than not playing them. I actually hope they leave Neale in for a 3 block go at it - but suspect he will make way for Hawke next week

Hes a very natural kick for goal... solid drop punt from long range.

Good mark on the lead, can double grab but weakest at contested stuff... but he does get them sometimes.
Good below his knees and will chase and tackle in F50 - hes' not Rohan of course but at 203... will get on his knees and follow up.

He'll needs his best game to break even on the Pies back 6

GO Catters
He is not fit and is not ready. Best we can hope for is a contest in the air.

You probably are right but I hope it is not Neale. Subbing out a young player I think does more damage (to confidence) than not playing them. I actually hope they leave Neale in for a 3 block go at it - but suspect he will make way for Hawke next week

Conversely if he's having the bags flogged out of him/us they'll have to try something. I'm assuming they'll have a word with him beforehand anyway, to prevent any surprises. Long live the cunning plan.

I expect Neale will do a considerable amount of rucking so we can keep Stanley relatively fresh and sub Neale out.

I just hope we’re competitive in the midfield early so Stanley can get a rest.
That would be Ratugolea. Collingwood only line up with one genuinely decent tall forward (McStay), the rest are all undersized.

Yes I feel Parfitt is good in traffic, bustling it forward, Touhy is slightly off, and Pies midfield is definitely down. Could have been above a leveller. Surprised he's not sub again, he's up and down like a yoyo. Still they would have given the structure heaps of thought so must believe they've got the right horses for courses.

No doubt good Tuohy is in our best 22, but his season has been up & down with a bit unknown which Tuohy you’re going to get - does feel like he’s almost running on more fumes than Smith has been

His record breaking match agaisnt Melbourne was a fantastic achievement, but if he wants to play a year or two of Gaelic football back home, then maybe this would be the year to make that decision

No doubt good Tuohy is in our best 22, but his season has been up & down with a bit unknown which Tuohy you’re going to get - does feel like he’s almost running on more fumes than Smith has been

His record breaking match agaisnt Melbourne was a fantastic achievement, but if he wants to play a year or two of Gaelic football back home, then maybe this would be the year to make that decision
I am going to split hairs and say I agree that he is in our best 23 (not definitely 22). I can see him playing an excellent sub role if we have all pieces available.

In terms of going on beyond 2023 I can’t see it happening. As you say I think he is running out of puff as quick as Smith did I think… I can’t see him being a lock in the best 23 in 2024

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am going to split hairs and say I agree that he is in our best 23 (not definitely 22). I can see him playing an excellent sub role if we have all pieces available.

In terms of going on beyond 2023 I can’t see it happening. As you say I think he is running out of puff as quick as Smith did I think… I can’t see him being a lock in the best 23 in 2024

I wouldn’t mind him as sub as I think he offers a level of flexibility with it also - something the current 4 on the emergency list don’t necessarily do

It's almost a testament to how ridiculously dependable he has been, but I agree in the main - he isn't influencing games as much as he once did.

What about last weeks game ( amongst many examples ) Kolo was indisputable directly responsible for Port Adelaides 1st 3 goals of the match
No he wasn't.

The first one, absolutely he was culpable for the hold on Rioli. Fair.

The second one was absolutely not his fault. He had to run off his man to stop Willem Drew from waltzing in and kicking a goal.

The third goal was a downfield free kick blown against Rhys Stanley, I don't know how on earth you blame Kolo for that. You could rightly argue that Rioli was going to take the mark anyway (though Bowes stopped running back to fill the hole), but that doesn't make it Kolo's fault so much as Rioli's win.

Geelongs midfield has been soundly beaten

In the Melb game at KP - Bowes for brief periods was in the midfield opposed to Petracca - and actually i didnt think he looked out of place - competed nicely in a few one on one contests - from memory had a few unlucky free kicks paid against him - but when he was running with Petracca - i thought he moved allright

No he wasn't.

The second one was absolutely not his fault. He had to run off his man to stop Willem Drew from waltzing in and kicking a goal.

The third goal was a downfield free kick blown against Rhys Stanley, I don't know how on earth you blame Kolo for that. You could rightly argue that Rioli was going to take the mark anyway, but that doesn't make it Kolo's fault so much as Rioli's win.

What about the shocking short pass - which went straight to the Port player

No he wasn't.

The third goal was a downfield free kick blown against Rhys Stanley, I don't know how on earth you blame Kolo for that. You could rightly argue that Rioli was going to take the mark anyway (though Bowes stopped running back to fill the hole), but that doesn't make it Kolo's fault so much as Rioli's win.

I also felt with the 3rd goal that Kolodjashnij also pulled back somewhat once he heard the whistle - I know Rioli took the ”mark” and as you said he may have anyway, but hard to know what happens if the umpires whistle isn’t blown & the players don’t stop

But if we’re going to blame JK for conceding those 3 goals can we also blame Stewart for conceding 2 or 3 early goals himself, (including Rioli’s 4th) where on at least 2 occasions he didn’t get close to manning up on a Port forward who ended up taking uncontested marks in the forward 50…

I also felt with the 3rd goal that Kolodjashnij also pulled back somewhat once he heard the whistle - I know Rioli took the ”mark” and as you said he may have anyway, but hard to know what happens if the umpires whistle isn’t blown & the players don’t stop
To be fair, I think Rioli lost him in traffic in the pack. But Bowes was in a better place to spoil. It was an incredibly obvious free kick from Stanley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back