AFL/FFA bidding war over A-League Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They wanted to keep the final in Sydney. Pricks just used it to pot the AFL in the process

I think you're right there.

At the end of the day, this mess has absolutely nothing to do with the AFL and bulldogs, and yet the FFA are going on and on like the victims. It only makes a tiny bit of sense of if the FFA were trying to break their own rules in hosting the final in Sydney regardless of who had won hosting rights, and were trying to pin the reason for the decision on the nasty AFL.

Why would the AFL make such a guarantee?
I can't imagine why the AFL would guarantee anything to them unless they were offered something in return.

I can see some scope for a deal. The AFL was known to be unhappy about exhibition games involving big overseas clubs being scheduled at the MCG on a couple of weekends this year.
Unlike the A-League Grand Final, those bookings were definite & not tentative, and so the MCG took the soccer bookings knowing for sure they would have games on - and so the AFL didn't have a leg to stand on; but they weren't happy.
But that could be the scope of such a deal. Any soccer games involving overseas clubs at venues the AFL has an interest in (Docklands, MCG, Adelaide Oval, ANZ) from 2016 onwards to be played midweek - and in return, the AFL won't schedule games at those grounds on A-League Grand Final day.

But unless soccer offers something, there's no reason for the AFL to guarantee anything to soccer; and no reason not to continue to schedule games at those venues on A-League Grand Final day.

I can't imagine why the AFL would guarantee anything to them unless they were offered something in return.

I can see some scope for a deal. The AFL was known to be unhappy about exhibition games involving big overseas clubs being scheduled at the MCG on a couple of weekends this year.
Unlike the A-League Grand Final, those bookings were definite & not tentative, and so the MCG took the soccer bookings knowing for sure they would have games on - and so the AFL didn't have a leg to stand on; but they weren't happy.
But that could be the scope of such a deal. Any soccer games involving overseas clubs at venues the AFL has an interest in (Docklands, MCG, Adelaide Oval, ANZ) from 2016 onwards to be played midweek - and in return, the AFL won't schedule games at those grounds on A-League Grand Final day.

But unless soccer offers something, there's no reason for the AFL to guarantee anything to soccer; and no reason not to continue to schedule games at those venues on A-League Grand Final day.

Soccer didnt organise the MCG matches, they came down from the Victorian Government. When the AFL renegotiated its deal in 2006 to accommoda interstate preliminary finals, one of the conditions was that the AFL had to make way for major events at the MCG where the Government needed the venue - this clause was enacted for this years soccer matches. (A similar arrangement exists in Adelaide where up to 4 major events a year can be inserted by the SA Government)

such a deal couldn't be made the FFA has no control over premier league clubs or soccer internationals. The AFL should simply continue to be professional, If they must engage the A-League the solution is simple.

the A-league need to one thing. set a permanent date for the ground final for the next 10 years and guarantee it will be played at the ground which is reserved regardless of who's playing. Nobody's going to going to sign an agreement for "etihad in case we use it, sometime between the start of April and the end of may" This isn't bush footy the AFL is a major sport. If the A-league wants to be treated like one, its time they started acting like it. That starts with getting their house in order and actually planning ahead.

such a deal couldn't be made the FFA has no control over premier league clubs or soccer internationals. The AFL should simply continue to be professional, If they must engage the A-League the solution is simple.

the A-league need to one thing. set a permanent date for the ground final for the next 10 years and guarantee it will be played at the ground which is reserved regardless of who's playing. Nobody's going to going to sign an agreement for "etihad in case we use it, sometime between the start of April and the end of may" This isn't bush footy the AFL is a major sport. If the A-league wants to be treated like one, its time they started acting like it. That starts with getting their house in order and actually planning ahead.

If not a permanent date then AT LEAST a GF date every year by the start of Sept for the next season. This would allow the FFA to at least say "Yes, we acknowledge you have priority, but here is our ACTUAL date BEFORE you set next season's fixture". If they did that then I could see the AFL accommodating them, with the right incentives as well obviously, for this next ten year contract the FFA want.

If not a permanent date then AT LEAST a GF date every year by the start of Sept for the next season. This would allow the FFA to at least say "Yes, we acknowledge you have priority, but here is our ACTUAL date BEFORE you set next season's fixture". If they did that then I could see the AFL accommodating them, with the right incentives as well obviously, for this next ten year contract the FFA want.

The problem the soccer has is the GF is played in different cities depending who is in the playoff.

The problem the soccer has is the GF is played in different cities depending who is in the playoff.
But that's the point of being organised enough to INFORM everybody relevant about THAT DATE (and in this case sticking to it). Did they have any other similar problems with other stadia around the country? I'm not being a smart-arse - I'm actually asking as I don't know.

Then you decide a day and stick to it, you don't move it and then move it again...and then realise "oh bugger we still got it wrong'. It aint hard to count the weeks, and then book the ground(s)

But that's the point of being organised enough to INFORM everybody relevant about THAT DATE (and in this case sticking to it). Did they have any other similar problems with other stadia around the country? I'm not being a smart-arse - I'm actually asking as I don't know.

Doubt it. Adelaide only has 2 AFL teams, there are 3 weekend days. Sydney do have NRL teams playing out of the SFS/ANZ but not nearly as many as Ethiad. A lot of those teams have suburban grounds. Brisbane only has 1 rugby league team playing home games from Suncorp. Was always only going to be Melbourne.

not if the grounds not going to be used, If the ground must be available then it must be used. there's other sports and entertainment that could be using that slot. its about being professional. you can't expect someone to sign a ten year deal on one possible match per season.

this is why the AFL is required to play X amount of games at a venue like etihad and are required to play make up games if they don't. if you want the ground reserved you Must use it or compensate those that have catered for it. this is Business. not a local D&B.

I'm sure the AFL have not issue not using Etihad one night a year as long as they know what date its going to be before they release the fixture. Its in the AFL's best interest to keep the current owners of Etihad Stadium happy when it comes to renegotiating contracts and things.

I'm sure the AFL have not issue not using Etihad one night a year as long as they know what date its going to be before they release the fixture. Its in the AFL's best interest to keep the current owners of Etihad Stadium happy when it comes to renegotiating contracts and things.

Why? when the AFL own the stadium which could be sooner rather than later where is the soccer going to play their big games ( over 45,000) They will have to use Docklands so the AFL dosent have to give any concessions to a competitor whos stated aim is to take over the football market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The contract is all that matters between the AFL and Etihad. Theres no "keeping Etihad happy" component as long as the AFl meets its contract expectations.

The contract is all that matters between the AFL and Etihad. Theres no "keeping Etihad happy" component as long as the AFl meets its contract expectations.

Yep, BUT/however, the Vic Govt effectively controls the MCG & will not sit idly by while the NSW Govt fund the A League Grand Final in Sydney despite Victory earning the right to play the game in Melbourne. So far NSW taxpayers are reported to be funding the game in Sydney to a tune of $1 mil.

Yep, BUT/however, the Vic Govt effectively controls the MCG & will not sit idly by while the NSW Govt fund the A League Grand Final in Sydney despite Victory earning the right to play the game in Melbourne. So far NSW taxpayers are reported to be funding the game in Sydney to a tune of $1 mil.

I'm not sure if the Vic govt has all that much sway. The MCG is only as good and as big as is able to be funded by the hosting of AFL games.

What do you expect the Government to do?

What do you expect the Government to do?

Make a ground available, broker a deal. Yes, all grounds have management agreements, but .... the sporting capital of the world loses the cricket final because no ground, A League moves to Sydney because not an appropriate venue, claims to be sporting capital looking self indulgent spin.

I'm not sure if the Vic govt has all that much sway. The MCG is only as good and as big as is able to be funded by the hosting of AFL games.

Same goes for Docklands so why should johnnny come lately leaches like soccer get any advantages after the AFL has funded these stadia by playing 40+ games there per year.

Make a ground available, broker a deal. Yes, all grounds have management agreements, but .... the sporting capital of the world loses the cricket final because no ground, A League moves to Sydney because not an appropriate venue, claims to be sporting capital looking self indulgent spin.

All grounds have contracts as well - with fixtures that have been scheduled since October. I doubt the Government is going to do much about this one - particularly given Aami Stadium - built for soccer - will be empty, and they've booked the MCG for Friday in case of a Victory-City Grand Final, but its apparently not good enough for any other team to play victory at. I dont think the Governmet will do anything this year.

There is only so many times Soccer can get away with whining to the government to fix the problem they created for themselves, and I think they're close to (over?) their limit.

The A League grand final is hardly a global event after all.

There is only so many times Soccer can get away with whining to the government to fix the problem they created for themselves, and I think they're close to (over?) their limit.

The A League grand final is hardly a global event after all.
Yes but 5-10k travelling fans is when the Government steps in. One word. Economy.
Brisbane had 12k Wanderers fans travel for last seasons Grand Final. The Government is not going to let that many people with wallets full wanting beer beer and more beer plus food then then Mr with her shopping and the kids activities and hotels slip away to Sydney

The Liverpool friendly had 35k travelling fans for the match. The couple million to stage that event was a drop in the ocean to what Victoria's Economy got out of it.

This year looks like being a tough lesson for the FFA but at the same time a chance lost for Bulldogs to make some big bucks down at Geelong instead of oweing big bucks at Docklands. I've heard that FFA, AFL and Etihad are coming to a 10 year deal to make A-League GF day free at the stadium so hopefully this is the end of the drama and look forward to hopefully one of the best Atmosopheres ever at Swan Street.

Last edited:
This year looks like being a tough lesson for the FFA but at the same time a chance lost for Bulldogs to make some big bucks down at Geelong instead of oweing big bucks at Docklands.

How do you know that in these circumstances the Bulldogs were going to make big bucks down at Geelong? It's been clearly reported that neither the FFA or state government were willing to offer us any compensation for moving. We would only be likely to get half the crowd at Geelong than at Etihad. We would have to refund thousands and thousands of members and reserved seat holders and many corporates who have made their purchases on this game being in Melbourne.

For those who did attend they would have endured substantial extra travelling costs. Moving the game would also alienate a substantial number of our members who had bought their memberships on the understanding this match would be in Melbourne. We would have also lost our home ground advantage. It is not the responsibility of my football club and its members to be disadvantaged due to the failures of Etihad/FFA.

This year looks like being a tough lesson for the FFA but at the same time a chance lost for Bulldogs to make some big bucks down at Geelong instead of oweing big bucks at Docklands. I've heard that FFA, AFL and Etihad are coming to a 10 year deal to make A-League GF day free at the stadium so hopefully this is the end of the drama and look forward to hopefully one of the best Atmosopheres ever at Swan Street.

Oh do tell how the bulldogs lose out....how about how you are robbing their fans of a home game and making them travel an hour (at best). Unless the FFA wants to foot the bill for travel expenses for these fans, it aint happening. The Bulldogs play at Ethiad, soccer can play elsewhere or stop shifting their season every month!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back