Preview AFL Round 9 - West Coast v Geelong, Domain Stadium, 4:40PM Sunday 31 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
wcvg.png
So sitting 4 and 4 ... , going out of state to play may not look an obvious win. It isn't.
Kennedy , Shuey, Priddis, McGovern, Yeo, Naitanui, Duggan, Gaff will present plenty of challenges

NicNat V Stanley will be interesting... and how our young guys handle a vocal home crowd.

Will we see Scooter V Joel

Must no go over with too slow a side... maybe Cocky gets a run?

Lots of stuff to think about for this one.

Last edited:

This game is going to be a very comprehensive display of where Geelong are at currently. Away from home against the Eagles, who have been playing solid footy, missing some key players in Duncan and Bartel. Away games have a habit of shining a light on youthful inexperience. All I can hope for is a 4 qtr display and everyone staying out of their shells until the end. We definitely have the squad to win this, but it's going to take composure and professionalism. A win over there would add to the confidence that's been building in our young guys over the season.

I vote for something completely different......"no change"

Given the paucity of players ready to return from injury and the absence of compelling performances from the few listed players actually going around in the twos, you'd have to think that 'no change' is the best option for this game.

Unless someone from the Friday night team needs to drop out due to injury (or for a scheduled spell), it's hard to make a meaningful case for any changes at all.

Yeah can't really see any obvious change for the cat's next week ? Be really wrapped if tomahawk takes the game by the scruff of the neck, w scoreboard reward. And caddy two good games in a row.

I think we win this and win it well.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

I'm also confident in a win, they are structurally deficient with KPPs. If we break-even in the middle we'll win.
Send Blicavs to Priddis.
I assume they'll have Wellingham on Selwood.
This leaves Caddy, Guthrie, kelly and Stokes against Selwood, Yeo, Shuey and Gaff

Lonergan on Kennedy
Rivers on the resting ruckman
Which releases Taylor
Enright to Lecras
Bews to Hill
Thurlow goes to Cripps
With Mackie being the 7th rotation, Kelly spends more time in the middle

Down back they have
Schofield to match up on Hawkins, Hawkins would have 10kgs on him
McGovern to Clark
Bulter on Kersten

Admire your conviction.

A bold call when playing 2nd on their home turf.

West Coast has done very well, considering the injuries this year. But the Eagles have beaten Carlton at home, Brisbane, Gold Coast at home, Port Adelaide, GWS at home and St Kilda. A pretty cosy run. West Coast has given itself the inside track for an appearance in September, but I'd suggest second spot is pretty flattering. And if we're on, we'd be a good chance.

Huge game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched most of the Eagles/GWS game. GWS were in it for best part of the first Q, then got blown away. I mention this because our team is a young team and the travel + crowd may affect our young players as it did to the young GWS boys - and I rate GWS this year.

We will do well if our senior players lead this week and bring the young players with them. Mackie/Kelly/Stokes back in team is positive - especially the quality of Mackie's cameo when he came on as the sub.

I watched most of the Eagles/GWS game. GWS were in it for best part of the first Q, then got blown away. I mention this because our team is a young team and the travel + crowd may affect our young players as it did to the young GWS boys - and I rate GWS this year.

We will do well if our senior players lead this week and bring the young players with them. Mackie/Kelly/Stokes back in team is positive - especially the quality of Mackie's cameo when he came on as the sub.

With our recent ins we'll be fielding an older team then WCE

hasn't stopped him from keeping Hawkins in check in the past though. Schofield is an A class defender and Hawkins has only been averaging 4 marks and 1.8 goals per game this season.

I can't imagine Schofield has matched up against Hawkins many times before, last year he would have been 4th inline for the role behind McKenzie, Brown, Glass all gone now.

Hawkins has been having a massive impact this year setting up other players goals, using his body well, knock ons. If you went back and created a highlights package of all of his possessions you'd see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
hasn't stopped him from keeping Hawkins in check in the past though. Schofield is an A class defender and Hawkins has only been averaging 4 marks and 1.8 goals per game this season.

I would honestly be surprised if Schofield has ever matched up on Hawkins and he clearly wouldn't be West Coast's first choice, if Brown and Mackenzie were available. Schofield is built for providing drive from defence, not standing behemoths and if they have their kicking boots on, at least one of Clark or Hawkins should have a big game.

I would honestly be surprised if Schofield has ever matched up on Hawkins and he clearly wouldn't be West Coast's first choice, if Brown and Mackenzie were available. Schofield is built for providing drive from defence, not standing behemoths and if they have their kicking boots on, at least one of Clark or Hawkins should have a big game.

I'm pretty sure you're right about Schofield not matching up on Hawkins.
I don't think he does much driving from defence though, he simply doesn't get the ball. More like a Rivers (Geelong version) type, perhaps.

I'm pretty sure you're right about Schofield not matching up on Hawkins.
I don't think he does much driving from defence though, he simply doesn't get the ball. More like a Rivers (Geelong version) type, perhaps.

He wouldn't be this year, due to the role that he's forced to play. But that's my vision of him from the past: that he's one of West Coast's line breakers from back there, with strong running ability and a booming kick.

We can win.
Neither teams have midfields.
We have a better backline but ?worse? forwardline slightly.

People keep talking Hawkins up he continually kicks 2 goals or less

I think I can speak for most here in saying that IDGAF how many goals Hawkins is kicking, as long as the forward line as a unit is functioning, he's taking plenty of marks and he's converting when he does have straightforward chances.

Hawkins is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back