List Mgmt. AFL Senior List Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
SYDNEY SWANS CONTRACT STATUS (Updated 10-APR-2024)

The minimum list size for each club will be 37, which can be made up of as little as 36 senior listed players and one rookie.

To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four to six Category A rookies, and two Category B rookies.

List make up - 37 Senior Listed players, 5 Category A rookies and 2 Category B rookie.

Contract Expires - 2024:
Harry Arnold (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Jack Buller (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Harry Cunningham
William Edwards (Cat B Rookie 2nd Year)
Oliver Florent
Robbie Fox
Aaron Francis
Will Hayward
Indhi Kirk (Cat B Rookie 1st Year)
Jacob Konstanty
Jaiden Magor (Cat A Rookie 2nd Year)
Lachlan McAndrew (Cat A Rookie 3rd Year)
Logan McDonald
Lewis Melican
Caleb Mitchell
Sam Reid (Cat A Rookie 1st Year)
Cooper Vickery

Contract Expires - 2025:
Braeden Campbell
Caiden Cleary
Joel Hamling
Peter Ladhams
Jake Lloyd
Luke Parker
Dane Rampe
Matthew Roberts
Angus Sheldrick
Patrick Snell
Chad Warner
Corey Warner
Sam Wicks
John Longmire (Senior Coach)

Contract Expires - 2026:
Taylor Adams
Joel Amartey
Will Green
James Jordon
Justin McInerney

Contract Expires- 2027:
Brodie Grundy
Tom McCartin
Hayden McLean

Contract Expires - 2028:
Errol Gulden
Issac Heeney
Tom Papley
James Rowbottom

Contract Expires - 2029:
Callum Mills

Contract Expires - 2031:
Nick Blakey

Last edited:
Hmm, maybe not a few? He'd be 33 heading into 2026 if we extend him past his current contract. Could see a one year deal, though. Who knows? Long way off

Don't think he's had a single soft tissue injury in his career, or at least not in the last 10 years (that I can think of). He's still performing well in the middle, and is an effective forward when he does begin to struggle. I give him 3-4 more years.

Gulden
Hayward
Rowbottom
Mcdonald
...I have this group all increasing their worth in contract negotiations over the first 3 games

Fox
Melican
Florent
... not putting a foot wrong...Melican vastly improved this year, Robbie Fox one of his best games last week. Florent has been solid

Hopefully we re-sign them all

I hope that the club is selling themselves on the fact that a young group like this who have all developed together and built up combinations is a pretty rare thing especially one that can compete at the standard that this one is. If ever a team has the chance to set themselves up for a dynasty period it's this one right now.
I get that we won't be able to match the offers that players will get from other clubs but they also won't get the chance to be a part of that.
I don't begrudge any player who takes the money, you are only in the sport for 15 yrs if you are lucky with form and injuries so you need to make sure and set yourself up for life.
Hopefully they can convince their core at least to stay together for slight unders for the chance at something great.

The only ones I think are a chance of leaving are McDonald and Hayward, but I don't believe we'll lose either
Have to admit, I think Logan is already gone. Reckon he's got a monster contract in front of him, probably 8+ years well over $1m per season. Just don't see us matching that.

Have to admit, I think Logan is already gone. Reckon he's got a monster contract in front of him, probably 8+ years well over $1m per season. Just don't see us matching that.
Surely we were planning for it though? Unless it is an absolute monster of a contract, we would have known to squirrel away for our young top 5 pick key forward

I'm not sure the offer would be that big. It might end up being a mistake in hindsight only giving him a 2 year extension during 2022, though. Should've been at least 4. But, could've been his management playing it safe telling him he could negotiate a better contract during 2024 when he is more mature, accustomed to the AFL, and performing better, etc. It would suck to lose him to another club at only 21 when he has so much ahead of him. But I'm hanging onto the reports that he is happy at the Swans and living in Sydney. Have to wait and see.

I'm not sure the offer would be that big. It might end up being a mistake in hindsight only giving him a 2 year extension during 2022, though. Should've been at least 4. But, could've been his management playing it safe telling him he could negotiate a better contract during 2024 when he is more mature, accustomed to the AFL, and performing better, etc. It would suck to lose him to another club at only 21 when he has so much ahead of him. But I'm hanging onto the reports that he is happy at the Swans and living in Sydney. Have to wait and see.
As much as I would prefer to keep him, I wonder if we necessarily need a big marquee forward anymore. If the way we have started the season is how we want to be playing then are we better having more of a midfield contribution to the goal scoring and a relatively even spread of goal kickers rather than relying on one player to kick 3-5 each week. It will safeguard against if Logan was to be out due to suspension or injury then that leaves a much bigger hole to fill.
If we lost him then moving forward we might be able to save more money for our midfield core by using cheaper players in the forward line who can just play their role. McLean and Amarty are both good examples of this. Maybe Buller could step into that category too.
On the plus side if he did go somewhere like Freo you would get a Kings ransom for him in trade capital.

As much as I would prefer to keep him, I wonder if we necessarily need a big marquee forward anymore. If the way we have started the season is how we want to be playing then are we better having more of a midfield contribution to the goal scoring and a relatively even spread of goal kickers rather than relying on one player to kick 3-5 each week. It will safeguard against if Logan was to be out due to suspension or injury then that leaves a much bigger hole to fill.
If we lost him then moving forward we might be able to save more money for our midfield core by using cheaper players in the forward line who can just play their role. McLean and Amarty are both good examples of this. Maybe Buller could step into that category too.
On the plus side if he did go somewhere like Freo you would get a Kings ransom for him in trade capital.

Nah. It's easy to say while we're winning but you need games where a key forward can win it off their own boot, or at the very least straighten you up to give your other forwards predictability of entry.

Nah. It's easy to say while we're winning but you need games where a key forward can win it off their own boot, or at the very least straighten you up to give your other forwards predictability of entry.
That's why we have McLean and Armaty. Both have kicked 4 goal games already. Also Melbourne and Collingwood recently won a title without much key forward representation

I think possibly the reason negotiating a deal for McDonald is so difficult is because it's not yet clear what type of player he'll be.

Is he going to be a big marquee forward who commands big money, or is he going to be a good, solid forward we don't wanna pay big to keep?

His performances to date suggest he could be either of the two, and it makes it hard for the club to know what they should offer him. The last thing they'd wanna do is a Godfather offer for a guy who turns out to be just one cog alongside McLean and Amartey, which he currently is.

I suspect the more footy he plays this year, the more clear it will be where his real value sits and what we can fairly offer him.

I really think we worry way too much about what other clubs might be doing or trying to offer our players. I think Logan's decision will be pretty simple, does he want to stay in Sydney or not.

That doesn't mean his management won't try and squeeze every last dollar out of us if he does want to stay though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The concerning part for me is we have guys like heeney on big coin, errol will command close to a million if not more, likewise warner next year. At some point something has to give
Yeah that's a totally fair point if view. I agree to a point but there's also the fact that our backline and forwardline are for the most part role players who wouldn't be on that much.
In defense Rampe and Lloyd would be winding down in terms of contracts value. McCartin and Blakey would be the bigger earners moving forward. The rest surely wouldn't be on big coin.
In the forwards Heeney (based off position last season) and Papley would be the big earners whilst moving forwards Logan would be a lot of money to keep.
I would think it's the midfield where we've got the most cap available so maybe we could keep our big guns moving forward. I don't envy the list management team their job of trying to balance the books. That's why I think they need to lean in to what could be with this group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back