Society/Culture Are Australians more racist than other nationalities?

Remove this Banner Ad

There never seems to be any shortage of critics and commentators who are quick to highlight the numerous indignities and poor treatment suffered by indigenous Australians but they are found sadly lacking when it comes to offering viable solutions, and that includes very senior indigenous Australians.

The main problem is it's hard to square the fact that indigenous culture is based on the land, so if you have no intention of giving that land back then you're at an impasse straight away. For the record there are plenty of senior indigenous Australians who've offered viable solutions but not all of them agree. Marcia Langton for example is extremely supportive of the mining industry in Australia for what she see's as the creation of the first generation Aboriginal middle class in Western Australia. Others see them as thieves. It varies.

Can you elaborate on that and give a more definitive example of what you are stating eg., what more needs to be done on reconciliation and what prosperity in particular are you referring to?

The first part of any attempt at reconciliation, whether it be genocide, war or apartheid, is to openly seek the truth so that they can be aired openly, so the victims can heal and everyone else can understand what happened and why it should never happen again.

Too often in this country when historians and academics present evidence of our past, it's immediately attacked by certain segments as it's deemed a threat to their view of our national character and often just because the truth is bloody dreadful to hear, and it's human nature to protect our own image.

To move forward we need to stop being so scared to tell our own history with the grizzly bits left in, because it's what causes a lot of the gap in understanding between suburban Australia and Indigenous Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_Equality_Proposal

The Racial Equality Proposal was a proposal put forward at the Paris Peace Conference by the Empire of Japan in 1919.

After the end of seclusion, Japan suffered unequal treaties and demanded equal status with the Powers. In this context, the Japanese delegation to the Paris peace conference proposed the "racial equality clause" in the Covenant of the League of Nations. The first draft was presented to the League of Nations Commission on 13 February as an amendment to Article 21:

The equality of nations being a basic principle of the League of Nations, the High Contracting Parties agree to accord as soon as possible to all alien nationals of states, members of the League, equal and just treatment in every respect making no distinction, either in law or in fact, on account of their race or nationality.

Australian Prime Minister Billy Hughes clarified his opposition and announced at a meeting that

ninety-five out of one hundred Australians rejected the very idea of equality.[2]

Then, Makino Nobuaki announced at a press conference.

We are not too proud to fight but we are too proud to accept a place of admitted inferiority in dealing with one or more of the associated nations. We want nothing but simple justice.[3]

Baron Makino Nobuaki

Australian Prime Minister Billy Hughes

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't there a rule against simple copy-pasting of outside material?

We are not too proud to fight but we are too proud to accept a place of admitted inferiority in dealing with one or more of the associated nations. We want nothing but simple justice.
Come up with an original thought once in your life.

is the question not Are Australians more racist than other nationalities? Would the answer be yes or no?

I am unsure why you would highly value originality for questions such as these -nor can i rewrite history mate.

The Japanese were highly offended that a weak nation such as Australia could publicly advocate that the Japanese occupy a position of inferiority. As the Japanese delegation publicly stated at a press conference:

"We are not too proud to fight but we are too proud to accept a place of admitted inferiority in dealing with one or more of the associated nations."

Privately, they were probably unimpressed with the British excuse about needing to support Australia and the American decision to overturn the majority vote. Reflecting that fact, Japanese nationalists used the clause's rejection to silence the liberal Japanese forces favouring western engagement. By 1923, Japan had terminated the Anglo-Japanese alliance and developed plans to push westerners out of Asia and replace them with an Empire ruled from Japan.

http://www.convictcreations.com/history/worldwar2.html

Japan was far more racist than Australia (still is).

And Japan was far worse for the Asian countries it occupied than Britain ever was.

I apology wholeheartedly to the community and moderation team for 'trolling' and accept my comments being deletes. I am not sure how focusing on the words and actions of Australia at post world war meeting, in regards to a non racism agreement, in regards to the topic is Australia extra racist. But I accept my mistake.

Japan was far more racist than Australia (still is).

And Japan was far worse for the Asian countries it occupied than Britain ever was.

Fair point but why are they extra nasty?

Maybe cause we turned up with battleships and forced them to sign trade agreements.?

Cause we stopped selling them oil?

Or refusing to sign non racism acts?

Or dropping atomic bombs on them?

Do you know how many survived the death marches from the Pibara to rottnest island while in chains?

in_chains.jpg

Maybe cause we turned up with battleships and forced them to sign trade agreements.?

This justifies Nanking, Manilla, or the forced Korean war prostitues?

Japan, like every other country in the world, is perfectly capable of acting like scum without needing to blame America, Australia or Britain

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wouldnt go that far...

So you admit this was all crap?

So you admit this was all crap?

absolutely not.

i for one dont understand how this historic moment in australian history can be glossed over in regards to Are Australians more racist than other nationalities?

i partly blame america and australia for japanese actions.

i know its nice to pretend otherwise

I would agree, and say Australians are more concerned with culture than race. For example, if the new migrants down the road from South Sudan spoke some English, have a BBQ every Sunday and kick the footy on the street with mates after school, They would most likely be welcomed with open arms. However if they kept to themselves, did some weird ritual every Sunday and made no effort to learn or speak English, then they would fee a lot less welcome. This would be the same for any new migrants, whether they are Spanish or Africans. Making an effort to embrace Australian culture and integrate into society is what affects people most.

I agree with this. I think a lot of Australian culture is based on the idea of the "typical Australian" who is laid back, drinks beer and watches footy. I think when certain people see foreigners not adhering to this, they get a bit worked up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back