Article on Harves and new, tough Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic article.

Always loved Hird, would really like to see him go into coaching. Perhaps Harvs can bring him over? ;)

Fantastic article.

Always loved Hird, would really like to see him go into coaching. Perhaps Harvs can bring him over? ;)

Just one more Essendon connection ... why not, he would be a good'n and it drive Bomber fans up the wall especially if we can be more successful then them over the next few years.

That was probably the single most eloquent, well informed, balanced and well thought out article I've ever read about our club since Matt Price made his way to a better place. James Hird, take a bow. This country's football 'journalists' could learn a lot from you.

Fantastic article.

Unfortunately, Mr Hird is heavily involved in the business world. I do think that the more that I see him though. The more that I have been impressed with everything about him.

A quality critic, writer, journalist and especially football brain.:thumbsu:

For all of us that are and have been Harvey supporters from day one, this article sums it up beautifully as to why the FFC hired him and why we support him.

Tough, uncompromising football. Purple through and through.

Great read.

Unfortunately, Mr Hird is heavily involved in the business world. I do think that the more that I see him though. The more that I have been impressed with everything about him.

A quality critic, writer, journalist and especially football brain.:thumbsu:

True that - his book is a great read.
And an excellent article, it's amazing the turnaround in press coverage from over East after a couple of good wins

Agree with others, great article and gives some insight too instead of stuff we already know. Also gives Connolly a back hander. ;)

Hirdy is a legend. I have no doubt he will be a great coach if he ever goes down that path.

Hirdy's probably making more $$$ watching footy as a commentator than Harvey, Bailey and Hardwick do as coaches and he doesn't have the stress, high blood pressure and greying hair.

Agree with others, great article and gives some insight too instead of stuff we already know. Also gives Connolly a back hander. ;)

Hirdy's probably making more $$$ watching footy as a commentator than Harvey, Bailey and Hardwick do as coaches and he doesn't have the stress, high blood pressure and greying hair.

When we start getting towards the business end, if he were to lob as a guest coach, I wouldn't be crying.

Incidentally, I read the other day Simon Lloyd is a 200 game premiership player in the VFL...maybe Captain too (?)

That was probably the single most eloquent, well informed, balanced and well thought out article I've ever read about our club since Matt Price made his way to a better place. James Hird, take a bow. This country's football 'journalists' could learn a lot from you.

This... see.. balanced journalism can exist.. im looking at you Hackdorn..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"He should not have played the 1993 Grand Final due to a serious foot injury. Only his desire to conquer the pain - and physical threats to club doctors - got him across the line that day."

Haha!

Great article.

Absolutely spot on about Freo prior to that final. Young, skilfull and fantastic to watch, it was almost a new style of football. Finals, however, are a different matter and grunt outweighs style. Essendon, no doubt under Sheeds instructions, smashed our young players at every opportunity. Roger Hayden was brutally taken out by a Dustin Fletcher forearm, the fact that he stood up and took his kick was staggering. Graham Polak never fully recovered his confidence to attack a marking contest without fear.

I was seething after the game and close enough to let Sheeds know my displeasure. My questions about whether that was the style of game he would be happy for his grandkids to play in would have fallen on deaf ears no doubt. If I was at all objective, I would agree that Sheeds was just getting the job done, and I'm glad we now have his protege at the helm to guide the team through the next finals campaign.

And another article, along the same lines, but for once also has a WA journo admitting they might have been wrong in the pre-season.
Mark Harvey - a wolf in sheep's clothing?
Mark Harvey, it seems, has gone from having a question mark beside his name, to an exclamation mark. Mark Harvey!
So have we underestimated Mark Harvey? There has been a long held perception in the WA media (only one member of which has coached an AFL side, funny that), that Harvey wasn't or isn't a master tactician. Well from here it looks as though the onfield tactics are in good shape.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/04/15/2874190.htm?site=perth&section=news

I thought Mark Harvey was doing pretty good to get the best out of our younger players, but he inherited a time bomb list that would go off and kill his career.

Luckily he decided this year to remove most of the old CC duds (how many are best 22 currently?) and got a few miracles with the rookie picks so he should keep his job based on current performance you would think. He has made mistakes but when you compare them to other coaches in similar positions they haven't been too bad.

He has the Woosha hard edge type mentality that I think we need at the club to give us the hardness we have always lacked. He out Woosha'd Woosha when you look at current lists and hardness at the ball.

*Bump*

Did somebody say purple heart?

Hirdy is a legend. I have no doubt he will be a great coach if he ever goes down that path.
:straining:

I don't think recent history does anything to change how good Hird was as a player. His reputation is tarnished but not his playing career.
Still one of my favourite players of all time, loved watching him play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back