Ashes 2nd Test - Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2007
Eddie Betts Pocket
AFL Club
Adelaide
So....who's going?

I get really excited this time of year. Footy season is over, trade week comes and goes, and for all the hype, the draft is over in 2 hours. It seems i'm in for a long wait until late Feb.... wait a minute... the Adelaide Test is on :D

I simply cannot wait. It is my second season as a SACA member, and I again get to utilise it as much or as little as I like.

I've taken Thursday and Friday off work, will be there Saturday as well, and depending how my work Christmas party treats me, for a session or two on Sunday.

Whilst the television coverage of cricket is extremely good (I could sit on the couch all day and watch with content), the live experience provides something else. I was at the last sesision of 'Amazing Adelaide' after watching Warney rip through the poms at home on the TV. I caught the bus into the city having just finished year 12 exams, and witnessed the run chase and perhaps my most memorable cricketing moments. To say 'i was there' is what counts for me. Last year it was Clarke and Warner putting on a clinic on day 1 as we finished at 480 odd at stumps...hopefully this year will be just as memorable.

The Adelaide Oval is looking magnificent at the moment. If you haven't checked it out yet, get along to a session of a Redbacks game for gods sake. It is worth it.

There's just something about summer in the city of Adelaide, and particularly at the Adelaide Oval. The Blue skies, the Morton Bay Figs, the Cathedral, the classic old scoreboard, the raucous 'Hill'....such things seem a fairytale during a cold July Saturday arvo against GWS with 20,000 others, at Footy park.

Then there's the other aspect of Cricket at Adelaide oval. One that the footy doesn't (and shouldn't) deliver. I will once again be enjoying sitting in the marquees out the back of the members, having a beer, maybe a Pimms, enjoying the scenery and perhaps watching a few overs of cricket on the big screen :cool:.

I've not been to a test at any other ground, but I really can't imagine anywhere providing a better all round experience than Adelaide. You just try wiping the smile off my face :)

Ill be there Thursday and Sunday and I can't wait. Haven't been down to the oval yet and that's part of the excitement, driving past on the odd day just isnt enough !!!

It is a great occasion. I've been to the boxing day test a few times (which is awesome) but it doesn't come close to what we've got. The whole set up out the back is brilliant and you bump into people you know every five seconds. At the MCG everyone is spread out in a million different seats/bars.

Just being able to float up and down, watching the cricket when it's interesting, getting gassed when it's not is the sports viewing ideal.

I'm going but only on the Sunday.

Gonna be a shite day weather wise tomorrow. Rain might help the Aussies this time round.

Was a quaint little ground where you could sense the history. I saw David Gower cover drives hit the picket fence harder than Mike Tyson at hooters.

I saw Michael Holding whispering death so loud you could here Lillie screaming from Auckland.

All gone.

Was a quaint little ground where you could sense the history. I saw David Gower cover drives hit the picket fence harder than Mike Tyson at hooters.

I saw Michael Holding whispering death so loud you could here Lillie screaming from Auckland.

All gone.
Yeah, you saw it from 500 miles back in the members with a pair of binoculars or in the blazing exposed skin cancer creating outer.

Live a little. Luxury ain't bad.

Yeah, you saw it from 500 miles back in the members with a pair of binoculars or in the blazing exposed skin cancer creating outer.

No I saw it from the boundary on the eastern side, with the hill behind me. The shortest boundary in cricket. Your so close you can almost smell Viv Richards bong water breath..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I saw it from the boundary on the eastern side, with the hill behind me. The shortest boundary in cricket. Your so close you can almost smell Viv Richards bong water breath..
And the exact same seats are available now

And the exact same seats are available now
The hill by the Victor Richardson gates? where the guys would line up against the fence by the bar on the southern side of the Victor Richardson gates and rate the talent deliberately showcasing themselves on the walkway..:D

The hill by the Victor Richardson gates? where the guys would line up against the fence by the bar on the southern side of the Victor Richardson gates and rate the talent deliberately showcasing themselves on the walkway..:D
There has never been a hill by the Vic Richardson gates. I don't think you've ever actually been to Adelaide Oval.

i don't remember it being a hill persay. was terraces wasn't it?

I'll settle for a compromise that it was a grassy knoll all the way from the stand that was in front of memorial drive before the Chapple stand was built(forget its name), that knoll worked its way all around to the northern side of the members stand. A walkway separated the 'grassy knoll' from the cement concourse/terraces we use to bring fold up chairs for. There was only bench seating at the boundary.

The bar to the south of the Victor Richardson gates that you had to access from the back of the grassy knoll use to allow me to buy my old mans piss, west end Draught or export in a cup.

I'll settle for a compromise that it was a grassy knoll all the way from the stand that was in front of memorial drive before the Chapple stand was built(forget its name), that knoll worked its way all around to the northern side of the members stand. A walkway separated the 'grassy knoll' from the cement concourse/terraces we use to bring fold up chairs for. There was only bench seating at the boundary.

The bar to the south of the Victor Richardson gates that you had to access from the back of the grassy knoll use to allow me to buy my old mans piss, west end Draught or export in a cup.
pic taken in 1974
adelaideoval113sx2.jpg

But you can see the hills, cathedral and fig trees from the members before the great unwashed had a stand built for them blocking the view of the hills.

Not sure how SACA got that vote through with so many numpties being members.

Anyone who thinks this is a bad idea is a numptie. Fantastic day butt the barmy army were very weak

Remove this Banner Ad

Back