Society & Culture Associating yourself with another culture in Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically, as said in the title, do you associate yourself with an overseas culture, and how does this effect your perception of Australian culture and well as how other perceive you?

I more associate myself as Indian rather than Australian, even though I was born in Melbourne.

Mother is Papua New Guinean, but moved here pretty young. Her mother grew up in an isolated Bush Mekeo village with no electricty, technology or outside influence beyond the occasional Christian missionaries. While I find the culture fascinating, my grandmother was pretty happy to be out of it so none of it really got passed down. The exact tribe is also obscure enough that there isn't a whole lot of information you can find on it either.

View myself as all Australian, and pretty glad to be too. Two of my grandmothers sisters grandsons (grand-cousins?) in PNG have passed away, and they were pretty much the same age as me. It's a sobering contrast.

Last edited:
I've only ever considered myself Australian.

Though I do regret not knowing enough about my background especially my poor grasp of my mother's mother tongue. When we go on holidays to Penang I find that I can barely communicate with some of my older relatives- their broken English is better than my broken Mandarin and Hokkien

born overseas to immigrant parents - parents still associate themselves with the motherland which is frustrating to me given they've been here ~20 years.

rubbed off on me a bit growing up, but now consider myself 99.9% australian.

Myself and my parents were born in Australia, but each of my grandparents was born in a different non-English speaking country.

There's times where I have embraced my distant heritage, but overall, it's really not a big deal to me. Having gone to high school with a number of "fully sick" "100% Italian" wog boy campaigners who were born here and whose parents were born here, too, kind of put me off of the whole "embracing your roots" business a bit as well.

I just class myself as an Australian.

Last edited:
Made me think of a sticker on a car I saw the other day with pic of the NZ silver fern. " too late, we're already here"...cheeky kiwis lol

You've only just seen these stickers? Im guessing you havent been to Perth lately

You've only just seen these stickers? Im guessing you havent been to Perth lately

Been here 12 years. And I live in Warnbro. The Kiwi capital of Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im pretty sure those stickers arent aimed at the Kiwis, They are apart of the Anzacs. My knowledge is that those stickers are meant for everybody else o_O

Basically, as said in the title, do you associate yourself with an overseas culture, and how does this effect your perception of Australian culture and well as how other perceive you?

I more associate myself as Indian rather than Australian, even though I was born in Melbourne.

If it was possible/practical would you prefer to live in India or are you happy living in Australia? (Just curious, not suggesting you should).

If it was possible/practical would you prefer to live in India or are you happy living in Australia? (Just curious, not suggesting you should).
Wouldn't mind either, to be honest. I have only been to India once, but I felt right at home.

I thought Warnbro was full of little Englanders. That's what it feels like when I go back to visit the rellies.

Fair few of them too...but secret harbour is more little England.

Im pretty sure those stickers arent aimed at the Kiwis, They are apart of the Anzacs. My knowledge is that those stickers are meant for everybody else o_O

People who put #### off we're full stickers on their car wouldn't even know themselves.

I thought Warnbro was full of little Englanders. That's what it feels like when I go back to visit the rellies.

North of Perth is Little Britain.

Joondalup and surrounding suburbs apparently have the highest immigrant population in Australia - all English.

People who put #### off we're full stickers on their car wouldn't even know themselves.

The nationalistic, xenophobic flogs who put these stickers on their cars probably don't even realise that our national anthem contains the lines:

For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;

North of Perth is Little Britain.

Joondalup and surrounding suburbs apparently have the highest immigrant population in Australia - all English.
Anywhere along the north coast of Perth from Duncraig onwards has a very high concentration of folk from the old dart. But the Saffas are starting to give the poms a run for their money now.

One of my mates looks completely Indian, even though he's fully Australian. Every year or so he goes to Chandigarh, India to visit his family. I like hearing about what's happening over there when he comes back home.

I have another mate who was born in Tauranga, NZ. Spent most his life here though. Is about 6'4'' and 125 kgs yet can outrun me.

Another mate was born in Cornwall, England. Wouldn't even know it though given he came here when he was 2.

And I sport the Sicilian surname, but I'm as Aussie as the next bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back