Society & Culture Associating yourself with another culture in Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

When I lived in England I would support the locals in everything except when they played Australia, thus failing Norman Tebbit's Cricket Test, w***er that he is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_test

Did you migrate there? If not then the test does not apply to you. I think it is a good indication of where loyalties lie. The same applies to who you support in the World Cup (soccer), Olympics etc. I remember feeling a bit hurt when Princess Mary said she now supports Denmark in sports (even against Australia) but, then again, if I was a Dane I would be a bit peed off if she didn't!

Did you migrate there? If not then the test does not apply to you. I think it is a good indication of where loyalties lie. The same applies to who you support in the World Cup (soccer), Olympics etc. I remember feeling a bit hurt when Princess Mary said she now supports Denmark in sports (even against Australia) but, then again, if I was a Dane I would be a bit peed off if she didn't!
Lived there nearly ten years, so I was pretty much a local.

Lived there nearly ten years, so I was pretty much a local.

My brother lived there 20 years but never barracked for the Poms either. Interesting that you both eventually returned to Australia (loyalties lying with Australia obviously).

Having said that, I think that test is less relevant now than it was in previous eras of migration. With the world shrinking a bit (if you know what I mean) where once when people migrated it was a very definite and final thing I think it is less so these days. Many people see themselves are belonging to two places. Whether this is good or bad I know not but it is the reality.

I remember feeling a bit hurt when Princess Mary said she now supports Denmark in sports (even against Australia) but, then again, if I was a Dane I would be a bit peed off if she didn't!
Not too much of a conflict there - how often do Australia and Denmark face off against each other in any sport?

When I lived in England I would support the locals in everything except when they played Australia, thus failing Norman Tebbit's Cricket Test, w***er that he is.

I sort of agree with the test when it starts coming to second or third generation though.

If you were born overseas than fair enough.

If your parents, possibly older siblings were born overseas and you still have plenty of connection to their country than yeah fair enough.

But at some point if people are still more attached to their ethnic homeland despite being essentially born and bred Australian than there is starting to be an issue with society.

Why choose now when they're not likely to win the tournament?
Because he identifies as Indian and thus supports the Indian national team.

He did support them in the test series which they never had any chance of winning
I sat at the Indian fan zone with a mate of mine on the second day of the Boxing Day Test. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I sort of agree with the test when it starts coming to second or third generation though.

If you were born overseas than fair enough.

If your parents, possibly older siblings were born overseas and you still have plenty of connection to their country than yeah fair enough.

But at some point if people are still more attached to their ethnic homeland despite being essentially born and bred Australian than there is starting to be an issue with society.

I know what you mean. I got interested in my ancestry some years ago and traced my family tree etc. Have since visited various places overseas that I 'came from' and even dug up some distant cousins. After all that I realised that I identify virtually 100% as an Australian and nothing else. It was interesting to find out my background but I literally felt nothing other than like a tourist when visiting these places and while it was fun and interesting to meet some cousins I am of course much closer to my cousins here, even the more distant ones (shared upbringing, culture etc.). I'm glad I did it but it actually had the opposite effect to what I was expecting. I have a very strong sense of belonging to this place that I sincerely hope those who have chosen to come here more recently will also feel in time although I understand it can take a generation or two.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My parents emigrated from the Netherlands. My two older sisters were born there, myself and my younger brother and sister were born here. Originally they were part of an ex-pat community (Armadale Dutchies for those that know) but found them to be already old-fashioned and out-of-date when they arrived. So my parents made the conscious decision to assimilate. These days I'm not even remotely a Dutchman, apart from the fact I get sunburn easily.

I lived there for a similar period. Opposed them in everything (which meant that I invariably ended up a winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!!)

Always felt Australian and in the classical white (Anglo-Celtic) Australian default majority sense of the word. All four of my grandparents were born here from Anglo-Celtic people (except for one great grandparent who was Chinese). I have no blood relatives I meet at Christmas who weren't born here. I definitely don't consider myself British or Irish and I'd be amazed if any of my family did. It's too far removed.

My nationality is Australian and if asked to give an ethnic description it would be white Australian. Everyone is equal and nobody is really more Australian than anyone else but a small, core part of me does feel 'more' Australian than my friends when they mention their foreign-born parents or aunts/cousins living wherever or the second passport they can get. Are there any posters of distant Anglo-Celtic ancenstry who relate to this feeling?

Last edited:
I've lived in London for nearly 20 years. I got myself citizenship about 9 years ago and felt very odd when I got a British (EU) passport - which was the main reason I got Brit citizenship. Had a moment of panic about not being Australian anymore, which was ridiculous in hindsight.

One of my Spanish mates said to me recently, "I don't feel English but I'm definitely a Londoner." And that's exactly how I feel.

I barrack for England in footy - soccer - and also in the Six Nations Rugby. As long as they aren't playing Aus, I'll back them at everything.

3rd generation flogs who support Greece/Italy whoever against Australia annoy me to be honest.

When Kyrgios was doing well in the Aus Open, there were some young guys holding up Greek flag. Kyrgios' mother is from Malaysia, and he was born in Canberra. o_O

I fail that test even as a 100% born and bred Aussie. Used to go for the Aussie team until it became inundated with w***ers. Don't really follow any team in particular now, used to have a soft spot for Sri Lanka and the West Indies, but now I just generally like seeing Australia lose to whoever.

I fail that test even as a 100% born and bred Aussie. Used to go for the Aussie team until it became inundated with ******s. Don't really follow any team in particular now, used to have a soft spot for Sri Lanka and the West Indies, but now I just generally like seeing Australia lose to whoever.
You're so cool, I wish I could be that alternative

Remove this Banner Ad

Back