Australia Test squad - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question - If The Ashes are about "win now", rather than developing for the future, then wouldn't it be logical to pick a bloke who has vast experience and great success in English conditions, eg. Steve Magoffin? Or is it just "assumed" or somehow "known" that he'd somehow not cut it against England in England, despite having success bowling against English players in English conditions?

Magoffin's bowling numbers in the County Championship (all Division One) from 2012-Present - 1,899 overs, 523 maidens, 5,023 runs, 246 wickets (12 5-fers) - 20.42 average, 2.65 economy rate, 46.32 strike rate.

I guess I'm not really strongly arguing that Magoffin deserves to be in ahead of our current Test players, just moreso wondering why these sort of performances (experience and playing to the conditions) rarely seem to see a player come under consideration. If he was putting up those sort of numbers in Sheffield Shield, people would be screaming for him to be in the Test side (or maybe not, purely due to his age).

CricInfo writers now asking the question.

So is Voges.

Rogers is 37 too.

Are the Ashes about "win now", or develop for some mythical "greater" contest in the future?
They also aren't fast bowlers. As I've said elsewhere, maintaining the level required at that sort of age is hard enough for players who've been playing test cricket for a significant period.

They also aren't fast bowlers. As I've said elsewhere, maintaining the level required at that sort of age is hard enough for players who've been playing test cricket for a significant period.

Have you seen Magoffin's record over the last four years in the County Championship?

Have you seen Magoffin's record over the last four years in the County Championship?
It's very good, but that's not the point here. Besides, I wouldn't put any stock in div 2 stats at all. I think Siddle is done at test level, but I'd still back him over an untried 35 year old who would be lucky to get game above club level in Australia now any day.
Just on the article- is the author not aware that Pattinson, Behrendorff and NCN aren't fit? Why not mention Michael Hogan too?

It's very good, but that's not the point here. Besides, I wouldn't put any stock in div 2 stats at all.

Every game Magoffin has played with Sussex in the County Championship from 2012-present has been in Division 1. In fact, he's taken more wickets than any other bowler in Div 1 of the County Championship from 2012-present.

Michael Hogan is the one fiddling about in Div 2, with Glamorgan.

I think Siddle is done at test level, but I'd still back him over an untried 35 year old who would be lucky to get game above club level in Australia now any day.
Just on the article- is the author not aware that Pattinson, Behrendorff and NCN aren't fit? Why not mention Michael Hogan too?

Well, I think the idea is that if Magoffin can bowl well in English conditions against the very talent pool from which England selects their Test batsmen, he may be serviceable against England in England at Test level. I know not flows on like that in reality, but that's the thinking.

Last edited:
I would've thought Magoffin was a touch too slow to impact the international stage, much like Trent Copeland and Hastings. All terrific domestic bowlers.

Would be a great left field selection, and tends to give the English Test players a going over in County.

Goffers is a legend, but it's just Michael Jeh talking up his mate.

Guarantee you that if Starc and Hazlewood were playing full years of county cricket they would have very similar if not better records.

Again, want to stress that I am a huge fan of him (and Hogan for that matter), but it's kind of like trying to argue that because Kane Mitchell/Sam Gray picks up 30 touches a game in the SANFL they should replace Travis Boak because he only gets 27 in the AFL or something along those lines.

I think you guys are missing Damon_3388's point.

We're playing a 5 test series in England. Steve Magoffin is excellent at taking wickets in England. We picked Rogers for an Ashes series because of his record in England and he's done OK, and we just picked a 35 year old off his Shield form. Magoffin isn't the most ridiculous suggestion in the world. Ryan Harris (who is clearly better and has played at test level) is 35. If we could get him up for one last 5 test series we'd do it in a heartbeat.

If you had to rank the best fast bowlers in the world where would Stuart Broad rank? Top 10? At best. He just took 8/15 because he bowled accurately to the conditions. Starc was the player of the World Cup and Johnson took 37 wickets in the last Ashes but they've both struggled this series.

Anyway our batting stocks are far more concerning than our bowlers.

Warner 29
Rogers 38
Smith 26
S Marsh 32
Clarke 34
Voges 36
Nevill 30

M Marsh 24
Watson 34

Sooner or later we're going to need 3 or 4 new faces in that list, at least. Shaun Marsh isn't up to it. Never will be especially in a poor side, which is what we will be with a bunch of new guys starting out. Voges looked great in the Windies but has failed in England. He'll go the way of George Bailey. Clarke will probably retire at the end of this series or if he wants to go out a winner at the end of the Aussie summer. Rogers is still performing but is 195 years old and can't play forever. Warner is patchy and unreliable, and even Smith has been brought back down to Earth this series.

I think they'll persist with Mitch Marsh at #6. He's played 6 tests and I'd like to see him play 15-20. If we're going to play Starc and Johnson we need a 5th bowling option, preferably a consistent right armer. Whether it's Burns or Lynn or Maddinson or Bancroft or whoever that is next in I don't know. Knowing our selectors they'll bring back Watson and Khawaja then pick Klinger.

After the series I think the skeleton of the team will be

Warner
X
Smith
X
Clarke
M Marsh
Neville
Johnson
X
X
Lyon

I don't think Johnson and Starc being in the same team works, it allows for too many runs to be leaked and we don't need two strike bowlers. Hazel wood will play a lot more but needs to be coached properly and allowed to rest if he needs it.

Hopefully Burns, Bancroft, Khawaja come along, we are in desperate need of players who will go to England for the summer and grind out innings in swinging conditions like Rogers did for years. I'm surprised Voges hasn't succeeded tbh.

I think Clarke will stay for the time being but may hand over the captaincy to Smith to release some pressure

After what I saw yesterday, I really hope Bancroft gets a gig. Someone who actually puts a price on his wicket and digs in for his runs..

Burns is doing absolutely nothing wrong in India, so should be up there.

I would persist with Mitch Marsh at 6.

If Pattinson comes through the A series without another career-threatening injury, I would have him in there somewhere.

What he need is (a) a "steady" middle order batsman, and (b) a tight line-and-lengther to complement Johnson/Starc/Pattinson.

Bancroft
Warner
Smith
("steady middle order batsman")
Burns
Mitch Marsh
Nevill
Johnson
Starc/Patto
("line and lengther")
Lyon

After the series I think the skeleton of the team will be

Warner
X
Smith
X
Clarke
M Marsh
Neville
Johnson
X
X
Lyon

I don't think Johnson and Starc being in the same team works, it allows for too many runs to be leaked and we don't need two strike bowlers. Hazel wood will play a lot more but needs to be coached properly and allowed to rest if he needs it.

Hopefully Burns, Bancroft, Khawaja come along, we are in desperate need of players who will go to England for the summer and grind out innings in swinging conditions like Rogers did for years. I'm surprised Voges hasn't succeeded tbh.

I think Clarke will stay for the time being but may hand over the captaincy to Smith to release some pressure
I agree with most of that, with the exception of Clarke; he is gone and offers nothing in the short or long term. I think Hazlewood is a good bowler and is going to be the steady hand for years to come, with Pattinson, Starc, Cummins providing the firepower. I would pencil him in for years to come as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So is Voges.

Rogers is 37 too.

Are the Ashes about "win now", or develop for some mythical "greater" contest in the future?
This isn't football where after 5 or so weeks you can work out whether your team will contend. You should be picking the best players at the time regardless of age. Doing anything else is stupid. There is no premiership.

This isn't football where after 5 or so weeks you can work out whether your team will contend. You should be picking the best players at the time regardless of age. Doing anything else is stupid. There is no premiership.

Yep, that's my point.

Goffers is a legend, but it's just Michael Jeh talking up his mate.

Guarantee you that if Starc and Hazlewood were playing full years of county cricket they would have very similar if not better records.

Again, want to stress that I am a huge fan of him (and Hogan for that matter), but it's kind of like trying to argue that because Kane Mitchell/Sam Gray picks up 30 touches a game in the SANFL they should replace Travis Boak because he only gets 27 in the AFL or something along those lines.
But the thing is that cricket is literally stats based. There's no hiding from results - there's no clangers stats, there's no disposal efficiency.

If he's been getting wickets he's been getting wickets.. especially considering that hes in division 1 against English test players, he has an argument that he should've been considered.

Confine Starc to playing county cricket for a few years ?
Just use him like Bracken. He's a one day bowler and thats it. Nothing more. He'll never be anything more than an average of 30 in tests. He might have a couple of good series like Johnson, but even Johnson is average when conditions aren't perfect.

If we go into the 5th test having already lost we should Johnson a rest, ready him for the ODI series. Or maybe Starc as he's an ODI star. Give Cummins a go and see if he lasts. Or hell, throw Fawad in and play two spinners, it is the Oval after all.

If we go into the 5th test having already lost we should Johnson a rest, ready him for the ODI series. Or maybe Starc as he's an ODI star. Give Cummins a go and see if he lasts. Or hell, throw Fawad in and play two spinners, it is the Oval after all.

Johnson should be rested.

Mitch Marsh and Cummins should both play. No point in playing senior players in a dead rubber where these two could learn something more about conditions and pitches and playing in front of hostile test match crowds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back