Australia vs India - Second Test @ GABBA - Dec 17-21 - Day 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was flat out all day so didn't hear or see much of it, until the radio on the way home said Watto and Warner were opening the new ball...

tumblr_m4wv32O7u21qzc3t4o1_500.gif

That's bullshit....It could easily be a draw. The Indians won't set us a target to chase on day 5. They will put the game beyond boubt and then try and win. We are going to struggle to bowl them out with no bowlers either

we haven't even batted yet. the pitch will break up and the spinners will come into it

It was moronic to cram 4 tests in such a short time before a World Cup. After Hughes death it should have been a three test series. Our bowlers will be finished before the World Cup.

Valid point but hazel wood and start didn't play in Adelaide. Marsh didn't bowl that many overs either

Was flat out all day so didn't hear or see much of it, until the radio on the way home said Watto and Warner were opening the new ball...

tumblr_m4wv32O7u21qzc3t4o1_500.gif
Not quite, Warner didn't take the new ball. Bowled one of the final overs with the old ball. But was bowling pace rather than leggies, and it was a terrible over.

Watto came on for half of Haze's over.

Fortunately we only bowed 3 overs with the newy so it's basically a new rock tomorrow.

Mitchell Starc's injuries sound a lot like Period Pain.. He is useless and should be nowhere near this test team. Shaun Marsh is a waste of oxygen. We knew an all rounder might get injured and it is a shame it was the one we all want in the side.
Is it though? I mean Watson is out of form yes.. but Marsh's batting isn't good enough yet to keep him in the team when his bowling isn't threatening enough. Right now he's just using up overs. Took a great wicket but other than that its a bit vanilla. Would rather a genuine #6 over a part timer.

Is it though? I mean Watson is out of form yes.. but Marsh's batting isn't good enough yet to keep him in the team when his bowling isn't threatening enough. Right now he's just using up overs. Took a great wicket but other than that its a bit vanilla. Would rather a genuine #6 over a part timer.

I'd prefer 6 batsmen as well but it just isn't going to happen.

Pretty clear that Hazlewood and Starc just aren't fit enough. It was hot but they get plenty of hydration into them during the day. They just don't have the overs in them because they are always in cotton wool.
Yep this is definitely a potential problem. At some point you gotta start getting overs into the boys.
hazlewood has only played 1 shield game this year. picking players on odi form will backfire.
He wasn't picked on ODI form. He was picked because he was the next in line. If he didn't take a wicket in that ODI series he would've been 12th man at the AO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell Starc's injuries sound a lot like Period Pain.. He is useless and should be nowhere near this test team. Shaun Marsh is a waste of oxygen. We knew an all rounder might get injured and it is a shame it was the one we all want in the side.
:cry::cry::cry:
Siddle gets criticized for too many bananas, but maybe his teammates are having too few.

Interestingly, I recall Boxing Day 2003 where India where in a very similar position at the end of day 1. Sehwag fell just short of a double tonne trying to pummel Katich for 6. They then were shot out very quickly the next morning and lost the game from there.

Things can change very quickly.
Yup. I remember numerous comments writing the last test off as a draw/loss. Test cricket goes for 5 days.
Suggesting Faulkner is in the mix? I'd hope so. His bowling looks a bit awkward, and isn't the quickest, but he bowls very little s**t, moves it around, is an intense competitor (the exact opposite of Starc today) and his performances over a sustained period for Tassie can't be denied.
Seems to have fallen down the pecking order even for Tasmania. If I'm not mistaken, he's probably their 4th quick at the moment.
Talent isn't the be all and end all.
To play devil's advocate- remember that time we picked John Hastings?
Pretty clear that Hazlewood and Starc just aren't fit enough. It was hot but they get plenty of hydration into them during the day. They just don't have the overs in them because they are always in cotton wool.
Everyone deals with these conditions differently. I really struggle with heat like that despite the fact that I grew up in it.
Same goes for professional athletes.

Cramping like all lady NSW fast bowlers do.
Ok so he should be good to go tomorrow _ I like the look of him. What I saw of Starc on the other hand was really disappointing. I don't want to see him again unless he is banging the door down- I thought he was going to be a star a couple of years ago, he does not appear to have made any progress and it wasn't great to see how badly he struggled today. Surely Hilf would have been a better option. Whoever is overseeing the fitness needs to be sacked ASAP.

Another classy performance from Ajinkya Rahane, never gets hype from the Indian media but just goes about his job the way he should, he's got to be the man tomorrow.

They need to stop selecting based on T20 "Big Show" heroics and use the Shield as the form guideline.

I like ODI's and all but test match cricket is the pinnacle of the game.

Fat chance.

MacGill made a point about Shaun Marsh that he's never been a matchwinner for WA at first class level. It's been my main complaint about Mitch Marsh too. The only format in which either of them is a deadest matchwinner is in T20.

I feel that it was no surprise that they won the Matador without the Marsh boys and North.

Mitch Marsh is a far different personality to his brother. He could be a proper player, certainly looks to have a decent temperament already. It's possibly a little early for him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back