Australian ODI Squad - 2014/15

Remove this Banner Ad

Please. Faulkner is a rubbish ODI player. He bowls military medium and tries too hard to vary things and gets spanked. People remember him for that massive knocks he played at the GABBA and Bangalore.. but it was him who conceded a heap of runs anyway.

As for the openers.. Watson should be in the team ahead of ******. I mean Warner. The guy is a spud at ODI's and it has been proven for a long time now. He's only made 2 hundreds and 9 50's in 44 games. That is horrible for an opener. They should be going at atleast a 50+ score every 3 innings.

I'm just going to disregard everything you have said in that post. Warner will be one of the first players picked in our World Cup squad. What he did in his early ODI career is irrelevant. The cold hard facts are that he is now the best batsman in the country and his recent performances in each format support this.

Finch and to a lesser extent, Bailey, are the two under pressure.

I'm just going to disregard everything you have said in that post. Warner will be one of the first players picked in our World Cup squad. What he did in his early ODI career is irrelevant. The cold hard facts are that he is now the best batsman in the country and his recent performances in each format support this.

Bradesmaen has a hatred of Warner for some reason

Squad for the SA series in Australia.

Michael Clarke (capt), George Bailey (v-c), Nathan Coulter-Nile, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Shane Watson.

Haddin rested and Wade returns. I thought another keeper might've been preferred to Wade, but good on him. One of the advantages of Wade is that if they want to select two keepers in the WC squad, Wade can also be the reserve bat. But that'd probably be true for most keepers nowadays.

Good to see NCN getting a run, bowled well in the MC.

Michael Clarke (capt), George Bailey (v-c), Nathan Coulter-Nile, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Shane Watson.

Haddin rested and Wade returns. I thought another keeper might've been preferred to Wade, but good on him. One of the advantages of Wade is that if they want to select two keepers in the WC squad, Wade can also be the reserve bat. But that'd probably be true for most keepers nowadays.

how about Ben Dunk, Tim Paine, Peter Nevill all have had good Matador Cups
Wade has been crap

no love for Cameron White?
player of the Domestic cricket comp for 2 years in a row

Fwiw, this would be my World Cup side:

Finch
Warner
Watson
Clarke
Bailey
Maxwell
Haddin
Faulkner
Johnson
Starc
Harris

Smith
M.Marsh
Haezlewood

Johnson, Starc, Harris frontline on hard, bouncy tracks.

Faulkner, Watson to bowl stump to stump with variations of pace throughout the middle.

Maxwell, Smith and Clarke to provide spin when required.

We bat right down to 11

Put Coulter-Nile in the XI for Faulkner (but leave Faulkner in the squad). And replace Hazlewood with a spinner. That'd be my squad.

No disputing his rise in Test cricket, but before last season Warner's ODI average was 26 from memory. Has improved on that but I'm still not sold on him being a lock for the 50 over form. That said, if anyone should be making way for Watson to open it should be Finch.

no love for Cameron White?
player of the Domestic cricket comp for 2 years in a row

To be fair he didn't deserve it this season. Khawaja made more runs with a better average and a better strike rate.

His 532 runs at a strike rate of 99 and an average of 74 were not enough to wrestle man of the tournament honours from Victoria’s Cameron White, who scored 354 runs at a strike rate of 97 and an average of 59 but finished ahead in 3-2-1 umpire voting.

Wade's matador stats 101 runs @ 16.83. A backstop way out of form with the bat, they don't want anyone challenging Haddin's spot for the WC.

Basically anyone else would have been a better pick, even Dunk/Carters who aren't keeping.

Alternatively they want the main keepers playing sheffield shield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that Warner is close to our best Test batsman at the moment Warner's mediocre one day record is all Brades has left to hang on to.

No disputing his rise in Test cricket, but before last season Warner's ODI average was 26 from memory. Has improved on that but I'm still not sold on him being a lock for the 50 over form. That said, if anyone should be making way for Watson to open it should be Finch.

To be fair he didn't deserve it this season. Khawaja made more runs with a better average and a better strike rate.
Khawaja's strike rate was better, due to White playing more games as the Bankstown oval, massive outfield with slow turning wicket. Khwaja play more games at North Sydney & Bankstown, smaller ovals and more better friendly wickets.

Kawaja is a terrible fieldsman

they should have given some new blood a go. whoever it is. you should always pick form players. not players who have been there before and not really performed at this level. wade isn't in form and there are quite a few ahead of him

Hazlewood, Richardson are new blood. Mitch Marsh as well.

Maxie the main spin bowler in this team? Don't understand Wade getting a gig.

Wade lucky to be in a ahead of Nevill and Hartley. His form's been atrocious for a fair while now.

Finch really hit or miss, Hughes much the same. Bailey could have better form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back