Australian ODI Squad - 2014/15

Remove this Banner Ad

But you wanted to give guys a taste.

Shouldn't Haddin and Clarke be rested?

I would have rested Haddin, I have said it over and over again- he is that important we don't need him breaking a thumb in a meaningless ODI.

Four months' rest not enough? Aside from the World Cup, which ODIs aren't meaningless? Should Haddin play the ODIs back in Australia? Aren't they also essentially meaningless?

I thought you wanted to give some fresh young guys a good long taste.

I would have played him in the ODI's in Australia (probably 4 games out of 7). Need to make sure he is fit and firing for the test matches. The last thing I want is that gumby Wade keeping in a test match!

Why are those matches less meaningless than the ones coming up?

No taste for Wade.

Those matches are closer to the important thing!

Wade sucked he was given a taste and he can't catch the ball! Pass.

Yes unless he absolutely blitzes it in the first few games, wouldn't surprise me but at 17/18 he will have some ups and downs. He is one to watch in the next season or two. Age is just a number.

Was Doran scoring ton after ton in the Sydney first grade comp? Is that why there is all this talk about him?

The one in which 'gutterball' averaged 63 going at 6 an over with the ball in domestic cricket last summer? Whereas Coulter-Nile averaged 25 in international cricket taking more wickets in less games.

Australian squad for tri-series in Zimbabwe: Michael Clarke (c), George Bailey, Ben Cutting, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Brad Haddin, Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Nathan Lyon, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Shane Watson.

rod marsh this morning was interviewed about the squad. interesting points

- hughes was told to go away and score runs. he has done that but so have others
- steve smith has performed well in tests, and his bowling is a bonus

as for lyon. interesting that he came to fruition via t20, and i guess 50/50 but never got a look in despite bowling on a batting friendly adelaide oval....

- hughes was told to go away and score runs. he has done that but so have others
I tell you what, our batsmen must be absolutely awesome when, even with Marsh and Warner out of contention, we can overlook a guy with a ODD average of 48.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tell you what, our batsmen must be absolutely awesome when, even with Marsh and Warner out of contention, we can overlook a guy with a ODD average of 48.

What it tells me is that they're more interested in testing out the various allrounders (Faulkner, Marsh, Cutting) and middle order players like Smith.

It does beg the question of why Hughes got a contract though given he doesn't appear to be in the frame. Though it should be noted that he will be playing two Australia A games against South Africa A during this tour.

Are they looking at him for the Pakistan series?

What it tells me is that they're more interested in testing out the various allrounders (Faulkner, Marsh, Cutting) and middle order players like Smith.

It does beg the question of why Hughes got a contract though given he doesn't appear to be in the frame. Though it should be noted that he will be playing two Australia A games against South Africa A during this tour.

maybe the contract is a square up for not playing him. yeah sorry mate, you're not gonna get a game, but here have money.

as for lyon. interesting that he came to fruition via t20, and i guess 50/50 but never got a look in despite bowling on a batting friendly adelaide oval....
I actually don't mind Hughes being overlooked. Hughes will still play a lot of cricket for Australia. make him really earn the re-call

Yep that is the one, has scored runs all over the place
Bombers, he hasn't scored any tons in first grade. I just checked... unless there's another Jake Doran. It isn't surprising, that he hasn't, that's a tough comp. Sounds like all the hype is based on u19 performances, which is also not surprising, doing well in local comps means nothing these days.

He's still well in the frame, as you say they are a tad obsessed with all-rounders just now.

What are your thoughts on the Australia A games now?
Be more specific.

Hughes and White both playing well while Smith, who didn't even play gets a game.
It suggests Smith was already pencilled into the ODI squad. They were sufficiently committed to picking him that they weren't bothered about him playing for Australia A. It says nothing about the Australia A games, but plenty about how Smith is viewed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back