Australian Open 2016 - Day 5

Remove this Banner Ad

The guy is a head case, 3rd or 4th round is the best he can hope for.

He has already made two Grand Slam quarter finals at the age of 20....

Yes, he carries on like a goose but a lot of people forget, Federer was the same for many years. He similarly made two Grand Slam Quarter finals before he was 20 but a lot of people said that he was a petulant brat who needed to learn more respect on the court, have a look at him now. I'm not saying Kygrios and Federer are identical- they are different cases, but the pressure being put on this kid at the age of 20 is phenomenal. He is the best in the world at his age by some margin and it will take time for him to get to the level he needs to to win Grand Slams. The talk of him winning one in the next year is very far-fetched, but I think people don't understand just how good he is for his age.

Some of the comments in here are quite sad. I thought he played well tonight against the #6 player in the world (who happens to be 30 and has 10 years more experience and wisdom on the court) but was beaten by a stronger, physically apt and better tactical opponent. The return of serve is a worry, but it's something he will improve as he gets older and more confident in his game.

No one doubts that Kyrigos has immense talent and has the potential to win a grand slam if he works hard, continues to further develop his game and smarten up his attitude.

The problem many have with Kyrgios is his need to start unnecessary fights just for the hell of it. The guy has a real chip on his shoulder and believes everyone is out to against him even though he brings it on himself. Subconsciously I wouldn't be surprised if he actually plays better when he carries on like a brat rather than being passive and quiet so he continues to play up to this persona.

He's only 20 years of old so I'm giving him a chance to mature with the right guidance and support but his petulant behaviour will hold him back from becoming a great player if he cannot change his ways.

I appreciate his talents but his behaviour is off-putting to many viewers of the game.

I notice someone said that Federer had an attitude problem before he started winning grand slams and yes it's true that he was a short-tempered player who couldn't keep his emotions in check until his coach at the time Peter Lundgren said he needed to suppress his emotion and channel his temper in a positive manner if he wanted to achieve something in the game. After that the rest is history.

Kyrgios doesn't know how to control his emotions, he really needs a good mentor and coach to help him calm down especially on court. It's like he needs to vent on court to motivate himself.

Just think no once in a generation players in a few years time nadal, federer, djokovic and murray all to go. Kygrios in his prime will be winning slams whether people like it or not. Bookmark it.

Thiem, Coric, Nishikori, Fritz, Zverev >> Kyrgios

Most people on this board probably haven't heard of these guys cos they aren't dickheads grabbing headlines and the fact that channel 7 only do tennis 2 weeks a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I notice someone said that Federer had an attitude problem before he started winning grand slams and yes it's true that he was a short-tempered player who couldn't keep his emotions in check until his coach at the time Peter Lundgren said he needed to suppress his emotion and channel his temper in a positive manner if he wanted to achieve something in the game. After that the rest is history.
Which is kygrios' next step get a damn coach.. to hear him say in that presser that hes not even thinking about getting a coach is really pathetic. The kid has a big ego I hope he realises he needs help sooner rather than later

He's 20 his flashes of brilliance is the only thing he needs to show. Kid is the best talent this country has seen for a long time.

LOL he might be but there is quite a few youngsters with more of a rounded game and less brain explosions.

He has already made two Grand Slam quarter finals at the age of 20....

Yes, he carries on like a goose but a lot of people forget, Federer was the same for many years. He similarly made two Grand Slam Quarter finals before he was 20 but a lot of people said that he was a petulant brat who needed to learn more respect on the court, have a look at him now. I'm not saying Kygrios and Federer are identical- they are different cases, but the pressure being put on this kid at the age of 20 is phenomenal. He is the best in the world at his age by some margin and it will take time for him to get to the level he needs to to win Grand Slams. The talk of him winning one in the next year is very far-fetched, but I think people don't understand just how good he is for his age.

Some of the comments in here are quite sad. I thought he played well tonight against the #6 player in the world (who happens to be 30 and has 10 years more experience and wisdom on the court) but was beaten by a stronger, physically apt and better tactical opponent. The return of serve is a worry, but it's something he will improve as he gets older and more confident in his game.

I think a lot of people forget or didn't see Federer's behaviour before he started winning Grand Slams

I remember when Agassi started playing, he was also labelled a brat because he wasn't your normal type of player.

None of the guys Kyrgios can't beat will be around in a few years.

When he hits his peak all and sundry will be powerless to stop him. There isn't a guy under 21 on the tour that has his ceiling.
Fair point.

Where are all the 25/26 year olds at? Dimitrov, Nishikori, Raonic...all very good players but far from superhuman like the current elite (at least not yet)

When the elite start deteriorating, Nick is going to be well placed in terms of talent and age.

Fair point.

Where are all the 25/26 year olds at? Dimitrov, Nishikori, Raonic...all very good players but far from superhuman like the current elite (at least not yet)

When the elite start deteriorating, Nick is going to be well placed in terms of talent and age.

Guys like Dimitrov and Raonic should be winning Grand Slams by now, or even making Finals.

Terrific effort by Dasha. Go girl!

Pleased to see Kyrgios get pantsed. Enormous talent but an inflated ego and loud mouth that needs to be brought into line.
Why? So he fits in your neat little box of what he should be?

Perhaps he just wants to live his life, play tennis, make a living and at times represent Australia. He is not representing Australia today. The last time he did was was a few weeks back at the Hopman and he was top shelf in behaviour and performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
See it everyday mate, I have little doubt. He's headf**ked..

I'm sure there are some WADA approved pills he can take

Na its just his lack of experience and short attention span. Djokovic and murray were absolute headcases in big matches in their early 20s too. People just have different ways of dealing with it. Kygrios acts like a brat and takes it out on people around him. Federer smashed racquets and used to act like a crybaby. Murray and djokovic used to sook about injuries and scream and yell. People have short memories. Perhaps kygrios is a more serious case but most players had their struggles

I remember when Agassi started playing, he was also labelled a brat because he wasn't your normal type of player.

Agassi was forced to play at a young age to feed the family, would get beaten if he didn't perform by his father. Agassi had to mature and grow up fast living in that house.

I reckon Agassi would've been the greatest ever had he enjoyed playing tennis. He hated every minute of been on court.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of the guys Kyrgios can't beat will be around in a few years.

When he hits his peak all and sundry will be powerless to stop him. There isn't a guy under 21 on the tour that has his ceiling.
I think this is incorrect. Nick is a part of a group players who will have a massive opportunity to win grand slams in the future but he's not the only 21 year old or thereabouts at the moment who will dominate or be seriously good players of the future if we look close enough.

Some players that come to mind that will be competing with Nick in the next few years when the big three/four decline and eventually retire are:

Bernard Tomic - Age 23 (ranked 17)
Dominic Thiem - Age 22 (ranked 20)
Borna Coric - Age 19 (ranked 40)
Hyeon Chung - Age 19 (ranked 50) - Won the most improved player award last year.
Alexander Zverev - Age 18 (ranked 83)
Thanasi Kokkinakis - Age 19 (ranked 86)
Taylor Fritz - Age 18 (ranked 154) - The one that I believe will surpass everyone else in this category.
Quentin Halys - Age 18 (ranked 187)

Also assuming these players peak at 24-25 years of age then there will still be competition from players in their late 20s and early 30s such as Raonic, Nishikori, Goffin and Dimitrov.

Agassi was forced to play at a young age to feed the family, would get beaten if he didn't perform by his father. Agassi had to mature and grow up fast living in that house.

I reckon Agassi would've been the greatest ever had he enjoyed playing tennis. He hated every minute of been on court.
Reading Agassi's book is great insight. Some parallels to kygrios who doesn't really love tennis either

Most people on this board probably haven't heard of these guys cos they aren't dickheads grabbing headlines and the fact that channel 7 only do tennis 2 weeks a year

Talent wise? Lol no. I haven't seen enough of Fritz to judge I guess (been very impressed with his results) but the only one that comes close is Coric and he is going through form issues of his own. Nick is only twenty so he has plenty of time but he needs to work with someone to get his head straight, the guy has to know that losing the plot at the umpire is not helping himself, just watch the 3rd set against Berdych, it's just going to take time.

Nick has talent to win multiple grand slams, anybody who doesn't think that must be blind. But mentally he has deteriorated in the last couple of years and he isn't going to come even close if his head isn't right.

Great reading over the last couple of pages.

I admit to being a fan of Nick's. The attitude s**t will take care of itself. People who see it as a massive problem, obviously havent watched much tennis over the years. To think he is alone in this area is absurd.

His two biggest problems in this stage of his career are, His brother and his ignorance in thinking he doesnt need a coach and ecspecially at this stage of his career. As someone who has followed him closely his brother is a major voice in Nick's life/career and together they have developed an "us against them" mentality, which wont get him far. The coach issue is one i dont see getting sorted anytime soon , but at 20/21 its exactly the point of a tennis players career where they should be putting in their hardest work.

If he wins majors, all will be forgotten ala Novak, Roger, Murray, Hewitt etc.. The kid just needs to get his team sorted before its too late.

No. On pure talent id have Kyrgios above all of them. Apart from Nick, Zverev is the only player on that list i see ever being "dominant". Coric is a tad overrated. Too many people read too much into junior results, all will win their fair share, but to have all of them over Nick is outrageous.

Last edited:
Such a nothing first world story.

The issue is that he is nearly 21, not 14 where it may have been accepted and dealt with. Not turning him into a robot or taking away flair, but teaching him common sense, humility, and decency. Is it because of an alternative schooling life being a junior tennis player or poor parenting? Probably IMO. But nothing that can't be changed with professional care.

The issue at the moment is the attention. " the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." He loves it. If he doesn't want to change don't force him. But deep down I don't think he wants to act like the year 9 kid in detention much longer.

He should have a coach, 100%. He has Hewitt as a mentor but that is not enough at this stage. If He puts in the hard yards over the next 2 years, fix parts of his game (return of serve as an example), develop his stamina, agility and strength in his core and legs, start actually making finals and winning small tournaments to start with, improve his mental strength in matches, he can win a slam no doubt.

But there are still a lot of things he needs to do right. There is a huge opportunity coming up from 2017 onwards with slams being open to many more players. It's is going to be intriguing seeing what happens from 2017 onwards.

I reckon Nick will take care of it sooner or later, so I don't want to be too harsh on him. Its embarrassing the way he carries on sometimes, though. Doesn't do himself any favours. He's just completely immature IMO, rather than being on the autism spectrum or whatever. ADD maybe?

I reckon Nick will take care of it sooner or later, so I don't want to be too harsh on him. Its embarrassing the way he carries on sometimes, though. Doesn't do himself any favours. He's just completely immature IMO, rather than being on the autism spectrum or whatever. ADD maybe?
ADHD most likely.

The biggest problem I've started to notice is just how easily he gets put off, and it's simply by the littlest things. The us against them thing is a load of bogus, and is simply something that a lot of young athletes try to use to get themselves going. However he really needs a coach or mentor that can guide him through the moments when he gets a s**t call, when the crowd distracts him or when his serve isn't going in. He was right in the fourth set, and his serve let him down in the crucial tenth game and instead of fighting his way through it, he started getting emotional and bang the match ended.

He is a bell end, simple as that.

Pressure from the crowd and the weight of expectation seems to get to him and he begins to crack and fold like a house of cards. He needs to get his head sorted or he will win nothing, getting a coach in would be a good start for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back