Grand Slam Australian Open (Day 11, Thursday)

Novak v Fed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

I already do a variation of that - punch the chest twice then do a finger point (crowd or where the goals are!). Pretty sure he did that a few years ago as well :p

Barty has always been a very limited player. She is world number 1 but in no way a standout from the rest of the competition.

We were spoilt with the likes of the Williams sisters, Sharapova, Mauresmo, Henin and Clijsters that leagues ahead of the players on tour these days.

Haha far out!

a) She only won her first GS last year
b) She won the WTA final event not long after
c) She went further than last year
d) How could you know that of someone who isn’t even past their mid 20s? Took Halep a while to even get her first.

Still so much development with Barty left, but Aussies sure do love laying the boot in when they fail.
No. Its just a reality. Winning this or that might make you number 1 but winning 7 straight games in a GS requires a ton of mental strength and/or little expectations.

Ash got hers on little expectations and now has to deal with massive pressure and we will see.

I would love to apologise if I am wrong but i am a realistic who calls what I see, not optimistic comments like most. Talent gets you so far but mental strength is the most valuable commodity in ALL sports.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

We're all disappointed, but some of the comments on here resemble a game day thread on the Adelaide board.

She's still had the best result an Aussie female's had at Melbourne Park.

As I said, if comments, as vicious or displeasing as they are, arent permitted, then forums would be useless.

Impressive win.
Thought Barty should reduce the use of slice shots more and think played in other girls hands.
Still, close sets each one so not a bad semi to watch. A lot of women's semis are one sided but this was hard fought each set.

Bet if Ash won, everyone would be excited but as soon as she loses one big match, a lot of negative comments. Love to see you try and win under all that pressure. Look at Rafa he has won a lot more GS’ in his lifetime yet he still felt the pressure last night in the big moments and lost. It doesn’t matter what experience you have it’s just who plays better on the day and in the big moments. IMO.

The choke button is being hit, but consider

Australians haven’t been dominant since the seventies.

we’ve had a few get to the pointy end but while Goolagong cash Hewitt Stosur Barty have won overseas, only Hewitt has got to even a final in the aus open

maybe the pressures off a bit when they aren’t on home court

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok. No weapons. Her serve is pedestrian and neither wing is that damaging. Imo. Cut and Dry Barty should have handled her. She didn't. History now.

Her forehand is very damaging and has beautiful feel on her volleys. Great drop shot too.

Halep - Muguruza is the pick of the women's finals. About even so far. But where are the crowds? Lot of empty spaces in the stands.

Bet if Ash won, everyone would be excited but as soon as she loses one big match, a lot of negative comments.

I disagree with this attitude. You can be both critical and disappointed at the same time.

I’m bummed out, had hoped she won but can see a massive choke when it happens - and did.

It’s also a concerning pattern with the Fed cup final. Let’s not forget she almost lost the unloseable semi at Roland Garros, too. Only the rare double choke saved her.

One thing that does amaze me from today's match is how Kenin was allowed to get away with so much coaching from her dad, including challenges. It was blatant and somehow the chair ump managed to miss/ignore it.

I hope it is stamped out for the final.

Losing a tight semi final against the 14th seed in a women’s draw that’s as unpredictable as ever? Nah she shouldn’t ever step foot on a tennis court again

Back