Australian solar panel subsidies not smart

Remove this Banner Ad

That's exactly the attitude that drove Australia's best-and-brightest off to Germany to develop their ground breaking and innovative solar technology... Now they are world leaders and we are buying their products.

Subsidies didnt work. Maybe our "venture capitalists" are just too *ing pissweak. I dont care if we re-import it. just get it happening.

Woking in England generates 70% of its own power needs from small power generators in sited buildings; it ignores the Central Power Suppliers.

That may be the real reason why no-one tried hard enough. Fear of the entrenched players and their relationship with policy makers.

Subsidies didnt work. Maybe our "venture capitalists" are just too *ing pissweak. I dont care if we re-import it. just get it happening.

Woking in England generates 70% of its own power needs from small power generators in sited buildings; it ignores the Central Power Suppliers.

That may be the real reason why no-one tried hard enough. Fear of the entrenched players and their relationship with policy makers.

The UK is about to roll out 5 huge Nuclear Reactors

The simple answer here is to build 30% of our power out of thorium reactors, 20% Geothermal Nuclear and 15% Hydro, a bit of gas and the rest other renewables

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/solar-panel-subsidies-not-smart-german-mp/2008/05/16/1210765176525.html

Nice one KRudd and co.

So much for "investing" in alternative energy. This looks as if the federal government would like to keep power generation out of the hands of residents that could best be able to afford them.

I would not be surprised at all if these measures are to help energy companies control the production of green energy and help keep their profits/market protected.

I think K.Rudd and Environment Minister P.Garrett might have an epiphony after about 25% of Australians being the 5 million people in Melbourne and Adelaide have experienced power outages during one of Australia's biggest heat waves.

Yes : Solar Panels on your roof and a few deep cycle batteries probably would have kept your airconditioner running while your traditional power grid went down.

Yes : That may be enough of a reason for K.Rudd to experience his biggest single ratings drop in political support.

Not Much : Does anyone really care if Peter Garrett gets dropped from cabinet.

I'd be very surprised if ORG and AGL weren't big supporters of Rudd.

Everything he is doing seems to be targeting them almost specifically in terms of policy and industry structure protection.

What has happened in terms of environmental policy is absolutely laughable.

In terms of energy production, something drastic needs to change in Victoria. 15-20 years out, they are screwed completely.

I'd be very surprised if ORG and AGL weren't big supporters of Rudd.

Everything he is doing seems to be targeting them almost specifically in terms of policy and industry structure protection.

What has happened in terms of environmental policy is absolutely laughable.

In terms of energy production, something drastic needs to change in Victoria. 15-20 years out, they are screwed completely.

No there not Victoria's base load capacity is too high, they can easily build some gas peaking stations quickly

The problem is the irresponsible Greenies, the people who run the big coal stations are spending probably less than necessary because of massive uncertainty they are scared the Greenies will put them out of business. Not to mention the disaster that would be with no Jobs and no power, but hey its the Greens, that doesn't concern them. Solar Pannels will do jack s***. If you want to close down coal power fire stations we can do it over ten years, but only as long as the Greens are all shiped off to Tasmania

No there not Victoria's base load capacity is too high, they can easily build some gas peaking stations quickly

The problem is the irresponsible Greenies, the people who run the big coal stations are spending probably less than necessary because of massive uncertainty they are scared the Greenies will put them out of business. Not to mention the disaster that would be with no Jobs and no power, but hey its the Greens, that doesn't concern them. Solar Pannels will do jack s***. If you want to close down coal power fire stations we can do it over ten years, but only as long as the Greens are all shiped off to Tasmania
Yeah... because that mystical gas comes from nowhere right?

Nah, buying things that need installing don't stimulate the economy at all, nor create jobs. Definitely not at all. Let alone things that create a secondary benefit. :rolleyes:

****ing muppets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.theage.com.au/environmen...ody-blow-to-solar-industry-20090622-ctzn.html
Canberra deals third body blow to solar industry
Adam Morton June 23, 2009

PEOPLE in remote communities will pay more for clean energy after the Federal Government abolished a program aimed at making solar and wind power more attractive than diesel.
In the third blow to the solar industry in as many weeks, the Government yesterday called an immediate halt to a program that covered up to half the cost of setting up clean power sources in areas not connected to the electricity grid.
The announcement followed the abrupt cancellation of the $8000 rebate for rooftop solar panels earlier than planned, and the launch of a Senate inquiry that will delay the rebate's proposed replacement — a household solar credits scheme — until at least August.

Full story at http://www.theage.com.au/environmen...ody-blow-to-solar-industry-20090622-ctzn.html

That's exactly the attitude that drove Australia's best-and-brightest off to Germany to develop their ground breaking and innovative solar technology... Now they are world leaders and we are buying their products.

how many solar company produce in germany now?

seems like china, japan and korea dominate

whilst germany, canada and singapore have all fallen off the perch

Good, why prop up a failed industry?

If it really does "pay for itself" then surely people will still jump at the chance of installing Solar Panels.
They still are. At least those with half a brain.
How's that coal fired plant going in your backyard?
I'm really glad I got in early though and won't pay for electricity for another 21 years. In fact they pay me.....ROFL .

I'm really glad I got in early though and won't pay for electricity for another 21 years. In fact they pay me.....ROFL .
I remember, the last person who claimed that and when they posted their power bill. It fell apart with $20 coming from Solar Panels and $180 for electricity.

Eventually he did and I proved that he paid $300 in advance and received a $140 refund.

All they proved was that they paid their power bill in advance and only got $20 from Solar Power and an electricity bill of $180. Not to mention, you seem to act like him too.

TLDR - Post your power bill then :rainbow:. I don't like people claiming that the electricity company pays them and don't post it. (Of course block out your privacy details)

Exactly! I just heard this news on the radio and was gobsmacked.

The only conclusion one can draw is that Mr. Howard >>> Mr. Rudd on global warming. :eek:
When you look back at decisions made it is actually a case that can be soundly argued. One thing for sure though is both were light years ahead of Abbott.

I'll have to trawl through hyperdmik's twitter. It was 1 year ago. Solar has come a bit since then.

And it appears he must have got himself banned unless I'm getting his twitter name wrong. :(

Last edited:
I remember, the last person who claimed that and when they posted their power bill. It fell apart with $20 coming from Solar Panels and $180 for electricity.

Eventually he did and I proved that he paid $300 in advance and received a $140 refund.

All they proved was that they paid their power bill in advance and only got $20 from Solar Power and an electricity bill of $180. Not to mention, you seem to act like him too.

TLDR - Post your power bill then :rainbow:. I don't like people claiming that the electricity company pays them and don't post it. (Of course block out your privacy details)

I will be looking to install solar this year or next. I have been offered tesla batteries as a thank you which looks to be the missing link in the solar equation.

I don't expect much from the solar panels prior to the battery install and I don't expect (or want) the first series of tesla batteries. So I don't expect to have the batteries installed for two or three years. I feel solar will be a sensible solution once the storage issue is overcome.

At the moment, solar is only really at its most useful between 10 til 2......when no one is home.

Pretty much it to a tee.

I have been doing a load of research lately and horrified by the lack of ethics in the solar industry. F me, it is full of slimy sharks promising all kinds of things. but through patience and research you can slowly weed out the crap.

The incompetence level is also an issue, as even after selecting a top tier installer, they proposed to install solar panels in rows so close they were shading each other.

Needless to say, I am still deciding which installer to go for as I don't want a mug to install DC current in my home.

I'ii be installing a 5-10kw solar system plus a home battery storage sytem from next year.

It should provide us enough power during the day to both run our house from solar and enough remaining power to keep the batteries fully charged for us to use at night.

any thoughts on brand of panels, inverters, batteries etc?

I have been doing a load of research lately and horrified by the lack of ethics in the solar industry. F me, it is full of slimy sharks promising all kinds of things. but through patience and research you can slowly weed out the crap.

The incompetence level is also an issue, as even after selecting a top tier installer, they proposed to install solar panels in rows so close they were shading each other.

Needless to say, I am still deciding which installer to go for as I don't want a mug to install DC current in my home.
Welcome to most small mining/solar companies. Directors pay themselves high wages, company goes broke, move onto the next one :rainbow:. It is sad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back