Moved Thread Ben Griffiths Contract Discussion - SIgned

How much would you offer Griffiths per year (assume 2yr contract)?

• Lower

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 4.5%

Votes: 22 14.3%

Votes: 67 43.5%

Votes: 42 27.3%

Votes: 6 3.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Higher

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ohhhhh jeeeeezzzzz....I voted for $500k believing it was his total contract over 2 years...what an absolute turkey!!

Can we just keep this guy. His value was easily shown in the crows game...that long kick he did out onto the wing gave us a better than 50/50 chance at escaping over the back for the icing...but then the ball rebounded back in and it was Griff with the follow up effort where his hands were clean, didnt panic...had composure through the tackle and laid it off for the match winning play....I just can't see Vickery every doing that....

They are different players I know....but Griff is super valuable!! And I think Jack/Griff/Vickery can all be part of our forward line to be honest. No need to lose any of them.

All good... I don't know figures in terms of what we've offered him compared to what he's likely to get elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me if he could get $400k+ elsewhere, and we're offering $250k.

Every half decent player probably has the opportunity to earn extra money by moving clubs each time their contact comes up. I'd be offering Ben a fair contact (maybe around $300k - based largely on the promising signs over the past couple of weeks) and expect him to sign. If he doesn't, then that's on him. We just can't go matching contact terms for every player whose "blood sucking manager" fields offers, so it's obviously not a precedent I'd want to start with Ben.
No way in hell would he be offered 400+ a year anywhere. He is much more than 80k less in value than Martin. If we do resign him on more than 300k then I would say the club is being idiotic

If Griff was impacting games and a regular 22 contributor ahead of Vickery...playing vital CHF/Ruck position....what would you all be prepared to pay him?

Remember the positional player premium...what is it??

Therefore can't we ensure that if that's happening he has the contract at Richmond to do it.....and if not he gets paid his worth...(Ie his output up to now)

I just don't understand how we can't give him an extra 2 years....a 4 year deal with some juicy incentives...

No-one likes giving large contracts out on potential....but guys with this much potential....just make it performance based contract and get it done. Both parties potentially win and we can't lose.

If I was Dan Richardson I'd sit him down and say the following:

"Right Griff, congratulations on this year and thank you for your continued service...As you're aware we have shown a lot of patience with you and you with us....We both want you to be a champion of the game and we would love that to be with the yellow and black....Now to business....you have been rewarding with your output to this point with a 4 year deal. Over the next 4 years you will be paid according to the exact output you have provided (current value estimated at ($250K).....but here's the good news for you and for us....in your 3rd and 4th year if you become the player we expect you to be you will be generously rewarded with the following performance clauses.....and your total salary will be capped at $550k. If you are playing well....we want to reward you so that we are both winners"

And I just can't help getting the feeling this new flavour of the month mindset by Dan Richardson with the "short term contracts" is going to burn us. Why are Sydney doing the exact opposite of us??? Perhaps because they know they can lock in guns for unders given that total playher payments is due to rise but once the player has signed...they can't go anywhere or be poached through FA. It may ensure we always avoid paying overs for players in the long term but it certainly wont allow us to pay unders for anyone...because money talks...ad if you get a contract negotiation every 2 years with opposition blokes in your ear....well we can expect to be paying "market value" for everyone....it's a worry IMO

And I just can't help getting the feeling this new flavour of the month mindset by Dan Richardson with the "short term contracts" is going to burn us. Why are Sydney doing the exact opposite of us??? Perhaps because they know they can lock in guns for unders given that total playher payments is due to rise but once the player has signed...they can't go anywhere or be poached through FA. It may ensure we always avoid paying overs for players in the long term but it certainly wont allow us to pay unders for anyone...because money talks...ad if you get a contract negotiation every 2 years with opposition blokes in your ear....well we can expect to be paying "market value" for everyone....it's a worry IMO

I wouldn't be to concerned with short contracts. A lot of the guys who went onto 1 year contracts were given this year to prove they could make it or be shovelled off as we rate this draft a lot higher then lsat year.

A difference of 1.5 goals per game is fairly telling for a key forward. At the same age as Griffiths, Tippett had a 55 goal season to his name.

Ben might sneak into double figures this weekend.

Even Quinten Lynch had kicked 65 goals in a season (admittedly in the premiership side) at the same age as Griff
Tippet was never played at CHB, Its only really his last games that ben has had any consistant time as a foward in the Afl

A lot of contracts are adjusted to be a percentage of the cap. Cotchins is from what I heard.

A lot of contracts are adjusted to be a percentage of the cap. Cotchins is from what I heard.

Its the way it works in NBA yeah?

Makes sense to me but should just run on JD results. 1st gets so much, 2nd gets so much, 3 gets so much then 4-6 get the same, 7-12 get the same, 12-22 get the same, 23-30 get the same and 30-38 are probably your 1st and 2nd year players. Or something like that.

Maybe make adjustments for injuries and a guy like Riewoldt gets marketing money if he finishes lower as he has a profile.

Ohhhhh jeeeeezzzzz....I voted for $500k believing it was his total contract over 2 years...what an absolute turkey!!

Can we just keep this guy. His value was easily shown in the crows game...that long kick he did out onto the wing gave us a better than 50/50 chance at escaping over the back for the icing...but then the ball rebounded back in and it was Griff with the follow up effort where his hands were clean, didnt panic...had composure through the tackle and laid it off for the match winning play....I just can't see Vickery every doing that....

They are different players I know....but Griff is super valuable!! And I think Jack/Griff/Vickery can all be part of our forward line to be honest. No need to lose any of them.

Riewoldt is that good he could play anywhere.

Play Vickery and Griffiths up forward and Jack in Grimes or Batchelors role.

Cotch and Martin signed 2 years for different reasons.

Have to back Dan Richardson in, other than White, he hasn't made too many blues,

If Griff was impacting games and a regular 22 contributor ahead of Vickery...playing vital CHF/Ruck position....what would you all be prepared to pay him?

Remember the positional player premium...what is it??

Therefore can't we ensure that if that's happening he has the contract at Richmond to do it.....and if not he gets paid his worth...(Ie his output up to now)

I just don't understand how we can't give him an extra 2 years....a 4 year deal with some juicy incentives...

No-one likes giving large contracts out on potential....but guys with this much potential....just make it performance based contract and get it done. Both parties potentially win and we can't lose.

If I was Dan Richardson I'd sit him down and say the following:

"Right Griff, congratulations on this year and thank you for your continued service...As you're aware we have shown a lot of patience with you and you with us....We both want you to be a champion of the game and we would love that to be with the yellow and black....Now to business....you have been rewarding with your output to this point with a 4 year deal. Over the next 4 years you will be paid according to the exact output you have provided (current value estimated at ($250K).....but here's the good news for you and for us....in your 3rd and 4th year if you become the player we expect you to be you will be generously rewarded with the following performance clauses.....and your total salary will be capped at $550k. If you are playing well....we want to reward you so that we are both winners"

This deal is what would be offered to him by other clubs. Since you take less at the club you are at we should be a little less. I still think a fixed 2/3 year deal, at 300k is fair and reasonable. Its a pay increase, with a certain amount of stability in earnings, and if he does progress well, he can command a better contract after this 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think your confusing long term contracts to attract players from other clubs, of which you have to get them anyway, with resigning players you already have. Then it is over stated when using the buddy contract as no club would do that again. Very few players get 4 or 5 years.

Or in other words....If he was a better player, what would we pay him.

What about we give him a short, cheap contract and see if he becomes the player you hope rather than making a long commitment on a maybe.

Or in other words....If he was a better player, what would we pay him.

What about we give him a short, cheap contract and see if he becomes the player you hope rather than making a long commitment on a maybe.
Because other clubs are offering him really good long term deals because they know his potential while we just seem to have figured it out. How many 200cm players can hold down CHF , FF , CHB and relief in the Ruck. There has also been talk on hear about playing him on the wing which is not unfathomable so we really need to understand and value what we have.

Because other clubs are offering him really good long term deals because they know his potential while we just seem to have figured it out. How many 200cm players can hold down CHF , FF , CHB and relief in the Ruck. There has also been talk on hear about playing him on the wing which is not unfathomable so we really need to understand and value what we have.

They are? Where is the evidence of that?

and hey, if they're all so keen, the surely we'll get multiple first rounders for him, just like we got for those other talls with potential who were highly rated on this board like Post and Gourdis, right?

and hey, if they're all so keen, the surely we'll get multiple first rounders for him, just like we got for those other talls with potential who were highly rated on this board like Post and Gourdis, right?
He's a bit better than those guys Telsor and Doggies , Saints , Brisbane and Carlton are cueing up for him in the PSD because he's uncontracted. Do you remember what we gave Essendon for Houli ? We offered them our pick 54 for their pick 55 and they told us to stuff it and then cried when they missed out on Hellbig when we took Houli through the PSD and took Hellbig with the pick before them. Benny is sitting in the box seat and has had a contract sitting in front of him all year . We need to sign him ASAP .

People who were backing those two guys mustn't have attended too many Vfl games. They wouldn't be fit enough to tie BG shoelaces
Lets keep the discussion in perspective as I can see some flower sniffer coming up with Jarryd Sylvester or Shane the Sunshine Morrison
WTF PMSL

no we have known all along that he has potential but that is all he is at the moment, potential.

A difference of 1.5 goals per game is fairly telling for a key forward. At the same age as Griffiths, Tippett had a 55 goal season to his name.

Ben might sneak into double figures this weekend.

Even Quinten Lynch had kicked 65 goals in a season (admittedly in the premiership side) at the same age as Griff
So in only 30 odd games with about half played down back and several switching in the ruck, you criticize him for his goal kicking tally.

Ok..........

??????

the tea leaves are troubling oshan says big ben will be departing punt road while asanka says big ben will remain at punt road,, warnakularisaya who is a legend here at dilmah is reveiwing all the evidence and has promised the true answer will be revealed tomorrow
the 97 year old master brewer warnakularisaya neththiklimaralage sachithra palleegadara paranagamage ( thats his real name try to pronounce it wow )says that buses arrive on time buses also arrive late trams are to unreliable and trains to overcrowded and that a coach who has had 2 broken legs must resign b4 the big griff will re-sign this promise has been made if you dont believe e go and get l--e,,,,, he also says no lenny in 2015

Back