Moved Thread Ben Griffiths Contract Discussion - SIgned

How much would you offer Griffiths per year (assume 2yr contract)?

• Lower

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 4.5%

Votes: 22 14.3%

Votes: 67 43.5%

Votes: 42 27.3%

Votes: 6 3.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Higher

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

the 97 year old master brewer warnakularisaya neththiklimaralage sachithra palleegadara paranagamage ( thats his real name try to pronounce it wow )says that buses arrive on time buses also arrive late trams are to unreliable and trains to overcrowded and that a coach who has had 2 broken legs must resign b4 the big griff will re-sign this promise has been made if you dont believe e go and get l--e,,,,, he also says no lenny in 2015
Boomshanker

Boomshanker
i just took warna his evening slippers as he retires for the evening hetold me that in his prime he could do 18 beach towels,,, he also says you will eat your words in regards to the current number 16 ,,,, in the words of my adopted uncle guru bob " think about that rusty"

So in only 30 odd games with about half played down back and several switching in the ruck, you criticize him for his goal kicking tally.

Ok..........

??????

Not criticizing him. Another poster said he had been as good as Tippett at the same age..no matter how one eyed you are that's just rubbish. Very keen to keep him at tiger land but he is yet to prove anything at this stage.

Doggies , Saints , Brisbane and Carlton are cueing up for him in the PSD because he's uncontracted.
So you're saying there's 4 clubs cueing up for him, and other posters seem to be implying they have good mail that he's been offered a healthy contact elsewhere, (much better than our initial offer), yet not a single one of these clubs clamoring for his services and offering the big bucks wants him bad enough to offer us a draft pick to secure him... does that seem strange to anyone else?

So you're saying there's 4 clubs cueing up for him, and other posters seem to be implying they have good mail that he's been offered a healthy contact elsewhere, (much better than our initial offer), yet not a single one of these clubs clamoring for his services and offering the big bucks wants him bad enough to offer us a draft pick to secure him... does that seem strange to anyone else?
Well that would be the second best result of the equation wouldn't it but how do we trade an out of contract player that is willing to go into the PSD to the club of his choice if things go totally pair shaped .

Sign him and get on with it is the best result .

not at all hes uncontracted and therefore unable to be traded he can go where he wants up to us to get him to settle for a contract of suitable $$$ and length that preferably suits both parties my understanding is current offer doesn't suit griff in either dept
richos job to sort

Or in other words....If he was a better player, what would we pay him.

What about we give him a short, cheap contract and see if he becomes the player you hope rather than making a long commitment on a maybe.

Because when he becomes a good player and other clubs have evidence for it they again start the bidding war to push the contract up when he is again...uncontracted. Not sure why everyone is struggling so much to grasp that. Although my suggestion is "long term" it doesn't mean we would be paying him anything significant in his final 2 years given the total player payments is due to rise. (250k in 4 years will not really be much) but if he becomes the player "I hope" as you mention, his payments are altered to reflect that without the pressure from outside and media circus etc. I just don't see how it could be a loss. This should be the go to strategy with players with huge potential and minimal output.

Not criticizing him. Another poster said he had been as good as Tippett at the same age..no matter how one eyed you are that's just rubbish. Very keen to keep him at tiger land but he is yet to prove anything at this stage.
yeah that other poster was me , I remember very clearly Kurt Tippet's early years and trust me they wernt that frigging hot but the crows continued to play him & played him in the correct position unlike Richmond playing Ben Griffiths at H/B F/B CHF Ruck and dropping him everytime we needed a scapegoat

Ben griffiths will become a good player, He shows just as much if not more than Jay Shulz did (apart from the 1 famous game shulz kicked 6 or 7 goals)

Bens stats are very comparable to Kurt Tippets you need to look past the goal tally because he was just not given a decent shot there

yeah that other poster was me , I remember very clearly Kurt Tippet's early years and trust me they wernt that frigging hot but the crows continued to play him & played him in the correct position unlike Richmond playing Ben Griffiths at H/B F/B CHF Ruck and dropping him everytime we needed a scapegoat

Ben griffiths will become a good player, He shows just as much if not more than Jay Shulz did (apart from the 1 famous game shulz kicked 6 or 7 goals)

Bens stats are very comparable to Kurt Tippets you need to look past the goal tally because he was just not given a decent shot there
And one other thing. Adelaide did not have a guy called Riewoldt playing in their forward line. He demands the ball be kicked to him and statistically he is the most favoured forward when directing an inside 50m kick in the league. Unlike Vickery, Griff has not been played deep in front of goal, so the ball is rarely directed to him for these reasons.

Because when he becomes a good player and other clubs have evidence for it they again start the bidding war to push the contract up when he is again...uncontracted. Not sure why everyone is struggling so much to grasp that. Although my suggestion is "long term" it doesn't mean we would be paying him anything significant in his final 2 years given the total player payments is due to rise. (250k in 4 years will not really be much) but if he becomes the player "I hope" as you mention, his payments are altered to reflect that without the pressure from outside and media circus etc. I just don't see how it could be a loss. This should be the go to strategy with players with huge potential and minimal output.

Firstly "when he becomes a good player". You mean *IF*. The guy is currently in his 5th year, and you think we should give him 5 more because he's shown some good things? He's be FA eligable by the time your contract ends....9 years on potential.

You do realise that it's not just the $$$s. That list spot he's taking is holding someone else out (indeed, over 4 years, he'll hold 2 base contracts out).

Sign him and get on with it is the best result .
I agree, but isn't the whole point that Ben doesn't want to sign? Hopefully the last couple of weeks have given Ben an injection of confidence in his own form and place at the club, and been enough for the club to maybe up the offer put to him.

not at all hes uncontracted and therefore unable to be traded he can go where he want
Your statement that he's uncontracted so we can't trade him is incorrect. It just lessens our bargaining power, especially if his club of choice finish in last place.

If there's a number of clubs "chasing" him and offering significant dollars to lure him, then logic says those clubs will also offer something trade wise to land him over those other interested clubs. You don't value a player enough to offer decent coin but at the same time say "we don't want want him bad enough to actually trade you anything for him".

I reckon in light of the last few weeks he'll stay anyway. Remember all this talk about him being unhappy etc was from prior to him coming back in and playing the best footy of his short career. He must be feeling better about his place in the team, and the club must've seen enough to nudge the offer up a bit, surely.

That's exactly my point though...you can't ignore the goal tally. Griffiths played maybe 6 games down back in his career. Even taking I to consideration this season alone he is averaging less than a goal a game in the same position Tippett was kicking 55 in a season. Possessions is a mute point as griffiths highest possession games came when he was behind the ball a luxury Tippett didn't have.

Would also argue Shultz showing more in 2008 than griffiths has to date.

His form hasn't warranted him staying in the side ahead of others up until now. I like griff and want to keep him but some are getting a little too carried away about two ok afl games.

4 years at 250k gosh Cotcho that won't get it done
White collar criminals get better
I think you meant
3years at $333333.33 or $1mil over 3 yrs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you meant
Nice sum for Griff for little output going on current figures.
4 con marks per game=92 per year=$10,869,56 per mark per game
9 Poss.per game=207p/yr.=$4,830 per poss per game
12 hitouts p/g=276p/yr.=$3.623 Per hitout per game.
Thats nice figures if your Griff.Not sure what his team mates will think of it though.;)

Nice sum for Griff for little output going on current figures.
4 con marks per game=92 per year=$10,869,56 per mark per game
9 Poss.per game=207p/yr.=$4,830 per poss per game
12 hitouts p/g=276p/yr.=$3.623 Per hitout per game.
Thats nice figures if your Griff.Not sure what his team mates will think of it though.;)
do the SAME MATHS on Hampson ,Newman and Morris and you will get your answer:D

do the SAME MATHS on Hampson ,Newman and Morris and you will get your answer:D
Hampson has a baby to feed.
Newman has Grandkids to spoil on
Morris has high Private health insurance premiums.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yeah and Ben has a TAB Issue with a greedy manager;);)
You can't write something like that on here. Even though I know your joking people on here will take it as true especially if he leaves . Would be a good idea to delete that one TI.

I saw a post on the Carlton Board years ago saying Shaun Hampson could play footy and it made it all the way to Blaire Hartleys office.

Firstly "when he becomes a good player". You mean *IF*. The guy is currently in his 5th year, and you think we should give him 5 more because he's shown some good things? He's be FA eligable by the time your contract ends....9 years on potential.

You do realise that it's not just the $$$s. That list spot he's taking is holding someone else out (indeed, over 4 years, he'll hold 2 base contracts out).

No I said 4 more.

Whos spot is he taking?? LOL We can leave one spot on our list for a guy with such a massive potential and unusual upside and delist a host of others. If we had other talls kickin the door down or several promising identified across the league then perhaps i'd agree with you. It's not like keeping an average midfielder who can be picked up late in almost every draft.

We lose King, Newman, Jackson, Hampson, Thomas, Stephenson over the next couple of years...we will also find out more about Elton, Helbig, Arnott etc too.

Keeping a guy like this on our list does nothing at all to clog it....and even if he rots there...it's better than losing him cheaply and having another Shulz running around because we failed to identify the real cost to keeping KPP's.

I think you meant

250k per year for 4 years minimum

IF he is playing well in his 3rd and 4th years his NEW OUTPUT will allow him to acquire more cash.

265k is the average AFL players wage at the start of 2014....

He is worse than average on current output....check

Given future average for an AFL player will rise.....if he is not performing, then 250k will become less and further away from average....to the point where in year 4 he might be close enough to min wage.

I understand most people on this forum hate the thought of doing something different but when you give it proper thought you will see how it works.

Positives:
-We can potentially keep a guy without overpaying
-If he is playing good footy he is rewarded and so are we
-Other clubs are potentially priced out of it given a 4 year deal play more on the club loyalty card
-Even if he is going s**t it stops another club profiting from him for the next 4 years

Negatives:
-He may be "clogging" a list....but as i've mentioned....he has potential like few others.

No I said 4 more.

Whos spot is he taking?? LOL We can leave one spot on our list for a guy with such a massive potential and unusual upside and delist a host of others. If we had other talls kickin the door down or several promising identified across the league then perhaps i'd agree with you. It's not like keeping an average midfielder who can be picked up late in almost every draft.

We lose King, Newman, Jackson, Hampson, Thomas, Stephenson over the next couple of years...we will also find out more about Elton, Helbig, Arnott etc too.

Keeping a guy like this on our list does nothing at all to clog it....and even if he rots there...it's better than losing him cheaply and having another Shulz running around because we failed to identify the real cost to keeping KPP's.

Surely we should give Hampson and Elton 4 years deals too, after all, they're tall, and while they haven't shown a lot, they might come good, and it's all about potential, right? Lets not delist anyone who might come good. 4 year deals all round!

Who would they keeping off the list after all? Just draftees we couldn't pick as a result...Might be crap, but then, they might be the the next hidden gem star. OMG...I'm so conflicted now...I mean, they have potential too!

250k per year for 4 years minimum

IF he is playing well in his 3rd and 4th years his NEW OUTPUT will allow him to acquire more cash.

265k is the average AFL players wage at the start of 2014....

He is worse than average on current output....check

Given future average for an AFL player will rise.....if he is not performing, then 250k will become less and further away from average....to the point where in year 4 he might be close enough to min wage.

I understand most people on this forum hate the thought of doing something different but when you give it proper thought you will see how it works.

Positives:
-We can potentially keep a guy without overpaying
-If he is playing good footy he is rewarded and so are we
-Other clubs are potentially priced out of it given a 4 year deal play more on the club loyalty card
-Even if he is going s**t it stops another club profiting from him for the next 4 years

Negatives:
-He may be "clogging" a list....but as i've mentioned....he has potential like few others.
It won't happen believe me

Back